Advice on buying a ps3

NkTSharpy

Hello, I was just wondering if you guys could give me any advice buying a ps3. I live in the UK so my main options are either CEX or ebay. Which one is more reliable? Also which model ps3 so I be searching for? I only want to play ps3 games to get some platinums. Any advice welcome.

• Like 1

I don't know if they are even selling PS3 consoles anymore, I checked Amazon and the bundles are unavailable now [ and I highly recommend a bundle as its more value for money, but obviously one with a game or games that is/are able to be Platinum trophied ].  I own a 500GB [ I recommend this also ] Super Slim console, but I bought it in 2013, I think it's stopped manufacture.  

Neither are great options but CEX in particular have a bad reputation, which just leaves Ebay as the lesser of the 2 evils. The OG Fat models are notoriously unreliable and the Super Slims can be iffy as well at times from what I've read so go for a normal Slim model. However you go about getting a PS3 these days, make sure you buy from a reputable seller and ensure the console hasn't been banned and doesn't have any hacks installed.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

48 minutes ago, NkTSharpy said:

Hello, I was just wondering if you guys could give me any advice buying a ps3. I live in the UK so my main options are either CEX or ebay. Which one is more reliable? Also which model ps3 so I be searching for? I only want to play ps3 games to get some platinums. Any advice welcome.

Everything I have purchased form CEX, even peripherals, work to this day. With that being said I would be very sceptical about buying a console from them, so I'd turn to ebay instead or maybe even the Facebook marketplace if you can meet up with the seller and try the console first. As for the console itself, if you just want reliability and low maintnance until you finish your plats, go for the SuperSlim. For both of mine, I just had to repaste them once during the 8 years I had them and the cleaning is very easy as well. 

CEX can be a bit hit and miss in my experience. They sold me a Vita with a charging cable that only worked half the time, so I had to buy an after market one from Amazon. They sold me a PS2 slim in which the fan was making a rattling noise so I had to get it exchanged and I recently bought a DualShock 3 from them that was dead on arrival and had to be returned. In terms of the model, I'd recommend any slim model that's CECH 2100 or onwards or a Super Slim. Most people prefer the Slim as the Super Slim can feel a bit cheap but you can't go wrong with either in terms of reliability. I wouldn't go near the Fats if you just want to play PS3 games.

• Like 1

I've got every model of the PS3, so here's my thoughts...

For value, I'd recommend getting a Super Slim 12GB PS3 from eBay or CEX. You should be looking to pay under £50. Then replace the 12GB hard drive with a 500GB (or even better, a 1TB). Or if you can afford an Solid State Drive (SSD), that will slightly increase loading performance. Replacing a drive is very easy to do and there are lots of guides on YouTube.

The original 2007 version should be avoided at all costs - very unreliable, and you'll likely get the 'yellow light' issue before long as they overheat quickly with age.

The Slim version is fine, although I've always found it to be much louder than the Super Slim (disc drive and fan).

I hope that helps!

If you can some how find yourself a healthy FAT model that still has PS2 BC, then that's the golden goose of PS3's right there...but that's easier said than done. Otherwise a Slim model is the way to go. However, to be completely honest...as a Super Slim owner, it's a fugly ass console, but...it works. It plays PS1 and PS3 games and does everything it's supposed to do. At the end of the day I'd imagine finding a Super Slim would be the easiest. 

I don't live in the UK, so I don't know what CEX is. But I feel like eBay gets a bad wrap for it's past. Literally 99% of my purchases these days, comes from eBay. I bought my toothpaste from eBay because I got it in a 3 pack for $10 cheaper than anywhere else. It's not the shady underground it used to be. Hell one of my best purchase ever came from eBay. Guy was selling a PS4 Pro, listed it at $349.99 with a Best Offer tab and Free Shipping. So I submitted an offer of $250...$100 off his asking price, I was expecting to be ignored entirely. Dude came back with a counteroffer of $267 and change with a message that said after shipping and the fee he has to pay eBay, it was the best he could do. I couldn't believe it, I was just making an offer to see what would happen, expecting nothing, and here I am getting a PS4 Pro for under $300 (even after tax, it was about $280)...I absolutely accepted. eBay can be an absolute gold mine when it comes to getting things cheaper if you have a little patience. 

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, Viper said:

If you can some how find yourself a healthy FAT model that still has PS2 BC, then that's the golden goose of PS3's right there...but that's easier said than done. Otherwise a Slim model is the way to go. However, to be completely honest...as a Super Slim owner, it's a fugly ass console, but...it works. It plays PS1 and PS3 games and does everything it's supposed to do. At the end of the day I'd imagine finding a Super Slim would be the easiest. 

I don't live in the UK, so I don't know what CEX is. But I feel like eBay gets a bad wrap for it's past. Literally 99% of my purchases these days, comes from eBay. I bought my toothpaste from eBay because I got it in a 3 pack for $10 cheaper than anywhere else. It's not the shady underground it used to be. Hell one of my best purchase ever came from eBay. Guy was selling a PS4 Pro, listed it at $349.99 with a Best Offer tab and Free Shipping. So I submitted an offer of $250...$100 off his asking price, I was expecting to be ignored entirely. Dude came back with a counteroffer of $267 and change with a message that said after shipping and the fee he has to pay eBay, it was the best he could do. I couldn't believe it, I was just making an offer to see what would happen, expecting nothing, and here I am getting a PS4 Pro for under $300 (even after tax, it was about $280)...I absolutely accepted. eBay can be an absolute gold mine when it comes to getting things cheaper if you have a little patience. 

CEX is an electronics focused trade-in shop that buys and sells everything from cameras and laptops, to games consoles and games but they have a bad reputation for ripping people off.

Go for slim model, good hardware and can read physical ps1 games, there are many options out there, the only problem is that many updates from long ago made the ps3 a little more slower than it was, for example using ps store, or using xmb menu while playing a game, in many cases like mine, even hard freezing when checking trophies while playing a game.

Still a great console and a great blu ray player

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NkTSharpy said:

You could try Cex, i think they give you a 6 month warranty? Well last time they did for me so if anything goes wrong you can return it within that type.

eBay is also good, personally got mine there but you just have to be careful, look at the pictures, ask for more details or questions to find the right one.

And i'd go for the slim model, best one from personal experience, i bought my first PS3 in 2008 and have bought all the models ever since, had a few fat ones and they died, super slim cover was dodgy and didn't close after a while but slim model i've never had an issue with.

Id go with CEX. They have the best warranties that last literally years. Also they offer the cheapest prices around. Got 2 second hand PS3's from them over the years. Both working perfectly ever since. Also purchased a PS5 from them at release, it wasn't even taken out of the box. No problems with it since either. Id deff go with cex. Just hold on to that receipt in case of problems. If there is problems, its a simple exchange. Effortless. Cant do that with some bloke off eBay who wont accept returns.

Second hand from Japan in my opinion is going to get you a PS3 in good condition, the X and O are reversed, all 110-250V even if the sticker says otherwise. Spend a bit more and get a Limited Edition if you can, the one's I've bought are like mint. Otherwise you could probably find one in a pawn shop or charity store and save on that, maybe end up with a quality PS3 that way.