Not enjoying Kaycee’s mod

Shiggidy_DoZa

I can say that I am struggling a bit myself. There are some runs, not as many as I would like, where I roll the dice just right and manage to build a killer deck. I do know, though, that if I can just unlock the 4th starter deck, things can get much easier in general. Basically, if you can get the Mantis God early enough, and if you can then limit your one blood cards to just the Mantis God (or other powerful cards like that, maybe dupes), then you always will pull that card at the start. I am over simplifying this, but due to the 3-way strike, you don’t have to strengthen that card much down the path to make it a round 1 killer. The more you can limit your deck to low cost but useful cards, the better. But, getting there is crazy hard, I feel. Leshy can overwhelm pretty quickly, so my main goal is always low cost cards that I can build up to be powerhouses (but RNG absolutely loves to mess with my plans). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AugustUnder said:

I do know, though, that if I can just unlock the 4th starter deck, things can get much easier in general. Basically, if you can get the Mantis God early enough, and if you can then limit your one blood cards to just the Mantis God (or other powerful cards like that, maybe dupes), then you always will pull that card at the start.. 

You don't need Mantis God to create strong one turn kill combos. The Black Goat deck combined with Dire Wolf is also super strong and easy to craft. If you play the Mantis deck before you unlocked a lot of challenges, you don't have a good way to get rid of the second ring worm (it has no sigil). You would need a bone lord shrine which is super rare.

Check out the section at the bottom of my recent post for the Black Goat + Dire Wolf combo:

Oh, thank you for posting this. I have had good runs with the black goat and other cards, but I still need more help, so this is great! And I did just learn that the ring work can be used to poison the campers, but I don’t know much beyond that. I love that that is a possibility in this game. So many things to think about. 

I'm not done with it yet (currently Challenge level 7) - but my advice currently seems to be working:

1. Always use the second starter deck - the one with the black goat in it.

2. Grab any 3-blood card available from the first pelts (I prefer the Bear, but any will do) - anything with big damage. - and NO other 1 Blood cards!

3. Head straight to a sacrifice alter.

4. Sacrifice the black goat into the other 1-blood card you get (the mole) - now you have only a single 1-blood card, which can always let you summon one of your 3-bloods, and will always be drawn.

5. Always try to get other 3-blood cards if you can - preferably of the same creature type. Avoid low-bone cost cards, and try to only take 2-bloods if they have good symbols.

NEVER take another 1-blood, unless it has a symbol you want to sacrifice into something else - and if you are able to get to a sacrifice alter easily.

6. (Optional) For the Wood-carver, try to get a "flying" totem, for the same creature type as your main 3-bloods.

7. Always choose to "Paint" your goats / moles, or your main 3-blood - and always combine your 3-bloods at the mushrooms. (I've ended up with single cards that do 39 damage in one hit that way, by combining Mantis Gods with Bears, then experimenting them together!)

8. (Optional) keep 1 "Bleach" for the final boss, if you manage to make your 3-blood flying - that way you can just hit past the Moon, without having to kill it.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm not done with it yet (currently Challenge level 7) - but my advice currently seems to be working:

2. Grab any 3-blood card available from the first pelts (I prefer the Bear, but any will do) - anything with big damage. - and NO other 1 Blood cards!

4. Sacrifice the black goat into the other 1-blood card you get (the mole) - now you have only a single 1-blood card, which can always let you summon one of your 3-bloods, and will always be drawn.

5. Always try to get other 3-blood cards if you can - preferably of the same creature type. Avoid low-bone cost cards, and try to only take 2-bloods if they have good symbols.

NEVER take another 1-blood, unless it has a symbol you want to sacrifice into something else - and if you are able to get to a sacrifice alter easily.

6. (Optional) For the Wood-carver, try to get a "flying" totem, for the same creature type as your main 3-bloods.

7. Always choose to "Paint" your goats / moles, or your main 3-blood - and always combine your 3-bloods at the mushrooms. (I've ended up with single cards that do 39 damage in one hit that way, by combining Mantis Gods with Bears, then experimenting them together!)

8. (Optional) keep 1 "Bleach" for the final boss, if you manage to make your 3-blood flying - that way you can just hit past the Moon, without having to kill it.

Transferring the Magpie sigil to the black goat guarantees that you 100% draw the 3-blood card you are looking for and is much stronger. Your strategy relies on RNG too much. Don't get me wrong, your strategy can absolutely work, but it's not guaranteed.

I linked my mini guide for Kaycee's Mod above. It's worth a read :=)

IMHO the best strat for high challenge levels is:

1. Mantis God Deck. Once you have unlocked the annoying starters challenge, then it's very easy to get rid of the 2 Ring worms.

2. Don't pick up any new 1 cost cards.

3. Use Campfires to buff only the Mantis God.

4. Transfer a good sigil to Mantis God (Double Strike, Unkillable, Fecundity or even Bifurcated Strike).

5. Reroll the start of the second map until you get the painter near the starting point and copy the Mantis God.

6. Find a mushroom and combine the Mantis God's. When you reach the third map you can repeat this process again to make Mantis God even more powerful. I was able to one shot the Royal Dominguez in one turn even though he has 80 hit points.

7. For totems, obviously get the insect head and one of the sigils I listed in point 4. (Although this is optional since your Mantis God should be super strong already.)

8. The best items are the scissors, the clock, the trappers knife and the hourglass. You will probably need one of these against the first boss when you're trying the Grizzly Bosses challenge. You can also try getting the Adder to insta kill the leftmost bear and then have Mantis God attack the empty space (if your Mantis God has at least 5 damage).

9. The rest of the deck doesn't really matter. You can basically pick any 2 or 3 cost cards.

10. And if you're still struggling, you can use the RNG manipulation strat I posted on the other topic. When you're playing the mod and let's say you wanna reroll your starting hand, the next campfire or even the card choices in an event, do this:

Exit to Start screen --> Press triangle and choose the tutorial --> Leave the tutorial as soon as the game allows it --> Go back to Kaycee's mod

This makes the game a cake walk. It's especially useful in the beginning because you can always have Mantis God in your starting hand and it allows you to reroll all Campfires to buff damage rather than health.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The RNG exploit is really what makes the challenge trophies a walk in the park.  Combined with being able to re-roll sigils, you can completely break the game.  I ended up getting the `backpack` icon for insects, and managed beating the all-skull challenge with a 5 power mantis, because I was too lazy to re-roll campfires.  Just being able to get the items needed to clear a single bear was enough to punch through for the win each time.  In fact it was far more annoying beating the game with some of those weak-ass decks without any challenges, since I had no Mantis God to fall back on, and had to build up a card from ground up (it usually end up being that Pup that transforms into a dobule striker).

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny how there's SO many unlockables in Kaycee's Mod and I'm like... guys I can't even beat one run with one challenge lol. Feels like the devs laughing in my face. 

Everyone's like "use this starting deck" and I'm like, I can't beat it the first time so I only have the original starting deck LOL. 

Edited by danistheguy

3 hours ago, danistheguy said:

It's funny how there's SO many unlockables in Kaycee's Mod and I'm like... guys I can't even beat one run with one challenge lol. Feels like the devs laughing in my face. 

Everyone's like "use this starting deck" and I'm like, I can't beat it the first time so I only have the original starting deck LOL. 

Having just done this, I can tell you that the only way to beat this mode is to break it a little. The advice above is good, but if you only have the vanilla deck you can still win by picking a regular mantis at the beginning from the trader and buffing it at the campfires to 3+ power. This should be enough to one hit kill the regular battles. Get rid of the other one cost cards in your deck so you are guaranteed to draw the mantis in the first hand every time. You'll need a plan for the prospector because he'll kill your mantis when the second phase starts but you'll figure something out. ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Some really great tips on this thread, thanks everyone.  Have just beaten challenge 3 and I haven't lost a single run yet in Kaycee's mod, though I'm sure it's bound to happen (especially with the oil painting puzzle forcing me to use cards you don't necessarily want at a particular time).  It is tedious constantly re-rolling for what you want but worth it in the long run as it makes the entire mode a joke.  What's funny is that some of the comments Leshy makes shows that the dev was totally aware players would manipulate the RNG because at one point he admonishes me for changing the map, saying something to effect of ,"hmm I've never encountered this order before. Kaycee, did you refresh the map?"  hehe

On 07/09/2022 at 5:55 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Your strategy is genius in early runs. Applied it to my third run when the deck unlocked and was winning rounds and bosses in one turn lol . Dunno how powerful it is at higher challenges but will stick with this strat for now, cheers.

On 08/09/2022 at 9:58 AM, proud2bNs said:

Transferring the Magpie sigil to the black goat guarantees that you 100% draw the 3-blood card you are looking for and is much stronger. Your strategy relies on RNG too much. Don't get me wrong, your strategy can absolutely work, but it's not guaranteed.

I linked my mini guide for Kaycee's Mod above. It's worth a read :=)

True, this strategy is very RNG dependent but, as you've established in your own tips, the RNG can be manipulated greatly.  Transferring the magpie sigil to the black goat proved useful so thanks a lot for that tip however, given that the starting hand can also be re-rolled you can probably get by without it. Also, Bloodmoney's strat can be used from the third run onwards whereas I believe your deck of choice can only be unlocked at higher challenge levels. Might give your Mantis strat a go once I unlock the deck. Your main tips thread is great by the way.

On 08/09/2022 at 10:43 AM, Foremanskin said:

This makes the game a cake walk. It's especially useful in the beginning because you can always have Mantis God in your starting hand and it allows you to reroll all Campfires to buff damage rather than health.

Just a quick note - either I was unlucky or you can't re-roll campfires anymore. Got health 3 times in a row at one point. Found painter/ mushrooms trick more reliable. 

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
  • Like 2

Got the Skull Storm trophy and still haven’t lost a single run. The RNG on my Skull Storm run was perhaps the best it had been; rarely had to do re-rolls and had so many good options that I got choice paralysis. Almost felt like the game had just decided it wanted me to win at that point (probably so I could get to those long-ass credits ?).  I still have to get the all decks trophy and the teeth pulling one but they should be fine. The former will be interesting as I’ll have to build my ideal deck from scratch which I haven’t needed to do since unlocking the black goat deck. There’s been some great tips here already but just wanted to share some additional ones which might be useful:

1. Common sense but if you’re going to do the oil painting on the road to ‘skull storm’ make sure you do it during the first 5 runs where the challenges are trivial. 

2. As we know, you can re-roll the entire map at the beginning of each new map but be careful with this. If you get up from the table (for instance, to check the painting) and then sit back down again it will save that map. On the flip side, if you find the map order you like then get up off the table and sit back down again to save it. This way if you come across a question mark, for instance, but you don’t like the cards you can do the chapter select re-roll without losing your map order.

3. For Drbloodmoney’s strategy, I would use the moose as my main three-blood (since it’s offered right away) but if I got lucky early on with the Direwolf then I would power that up instead because it has double strike on it. I would also say that though many have advised not to pick up another one-blood I personally found that having at least two Black Goats is useful if doing Bloodmoney’s strat. You can put the Unkillable sigil on one and then a magpie search on the other so that you’re guaranteed to get the card you need at that time and/or you can play multiple three-bloods without being starved for sacrifices. It does mean more chapter select re-rolling but it shouldn’t take too long to get the right combo. Just don’t pick up any other one-bloods.

4. I switched to Formanskin’s fantastic Mantis God strategy from about challenge 11 onwards because it pairs well with ‘annoying’ (which I chose to activate at that point) and is effective at dealing with the bears on the all challenges run. It should be noted that Mantis God is quite vulnerable in the first map where it doesn’t have many upgrades so you might need at least one three-blood and a Black Goat as backup. However, by the time you get to the second map the Mantis God will be so powerful that the whole mode honestly becomes a bit broken lol.

5. Formanskin has also suggested some sigils to put on your Mantis God but I would go as far as to say Unkillable or Fecundity are mandatory to have on your Mantis God before the first boss at higher levels. For the ‘all bears’ challenge try to get Fecundity sigil. For normal bosses use Unkillable. You can also use double strike sigil as a last resort if RNG is being a pain but that’s if you’re desperately tired of re-rolling. If you can make it past the first boss in the ‘all challenges’ run then the Skull Storm trophy is pretty much in the bag but you’ll definitely need the suggested pack consumables for the first boss.

6. As mentioned, don’t bother with the airborne totem sigil on any run with the bears challenge activated. Generally, totems are optional. I didn’t even finish a totem on my Skull Storm run and it was still a cakewalk.