**Really depressing.**

modest_undue1

1 minute ago, VeldinX said:

It is really weird looking way down my friends list on the odd occasion I boot up my PS3 and seeing old friends, who I remember idolising for having so many trophies at the time, and then it says “last online: a decade ago…” 1f635.png

A lot of folks do keep their profiles on permanent "appear offline" of course - which can result in the same thing...

...though for sure, trophies have been around long enough now that some folks who were very into them early on, have moved on and forgotten all about the hobby a long time ago!

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

A lot of folks do keep their profiles on permanent "appear offline" of course - which can result in the same thing...

...though for sure, trophies have been around long enough now that some folks who were very into them early on, have moved on and forgotten all about the hobby a long time ago!

True, but then I check their profiles and the last trophy was just as long. So weird to look back and have memories of playing specific games with certain people and then one day they’re never to be seen again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

What about the people with a lot of trophies that just randomly stopped one day and then there last trophy was years ago

Ever wonder what happened to them

https://psnprofiles.com/TheNukes

Damn, just got back after 3 years!

(to autopop one set and disappeared again...)

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 1

Kind of ironic that a jokey thread labelled "Really Depressing", has actually got some of us thinking and made us feel a bit depressed.

PS3/ Vita only users are in this a sort of void, where on certain devices it doesn't seem to even register them as being online ever, so they don't have even a "last logged in" prompt.

31 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

True, but then I check their profiles and the last trophy was just as long. So weird to look back and have memories of playing specific games with certain people and then one day they’re never to be seen again. 

This is especially true for some people I boosted with, like on brutal hard 8 player Super Super Street Fighter 4 Tag battles, or really difficult online trophies.

They cared so much for these super rare trophies, and then one day much later at some random point, they just stopped, didn't even say goodbye. (Not that anyone ever needs too)

I mean, in that respect was it worth it for them?

Naturally Tsundokuist sums it up the best, they are most certainly gleefully running through sunlit meadows, laughing with friends and playing tennis in pristine white pants, like the most carefree of tampon ad protagonists.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Letenko said:

This right here. Even sadder if you recognize their name... makes you wonder if they moved on, changed accounts or worse. Sorta puts the whole thing into perspective. We'll all stop trophy hunting one day. Willingly or otherwise.

This just got real

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, StygianWolf4 said:

Not quite the same thing, but back in 2016/17, I lived with a good friend and housemate, who helped me with some trophies and vice versa. Time flew by, and when Free (kfree7) passed away earlier this year, I ended up checking on some people who I hadn't heard from in a while. It turned out that my ex-housemate passed away last year, and I had no idea. To avoid this being negative, I'll close by saying: Cherish those you call a friend, because life is unpredictable, and cherish the moments, days and times you spend together :wub:

I have 2 people on my friends lists, one died suddenly from a rare illness and the other took his own life a few years ago. Both of whom were buddies I hung out with in real life.

Definitely won't be deleting them off my list but it is weird that their lists become a shrine to what they were playing throughout their Playstation gaming lifetime. I do look at them from time to time, not sure why.

PSN is not much older than 10 years, but I dare say in another 10 or 20 years there are going to be a whole ton of accounts that just stopped one day.

For sure, life should be cherished.

What CelestialRequiem resonates with me. I mean, your trophy list is tied to your purchase history and in turn to you directly.

Like if I died, I probably would give it over to my son, if you want access to those games, due to DRM and DLC etc, it's tied to your account so your only option is just to play on someone's elses account, the one with all the games purchased for it. It probably wouldn't seem all that strange if your family started using your account when you were no longer around since unlike physical, you can't just give it to somebody else. Another disadvantage to digital purchases certainly and all those games that were delisted and only available on this particular account...

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KenjiCBZ said:

It's like those old PSN friends you used to play with that is saying

"Last online 3 years ago"

?

Hm... Correct me if I am wrong, but when you are coming online while being "hidden" your "Last online seen" status is not being updated on your friends list?

Edited by Smashero

4 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Like if I died, I probably would give it over to my son, if you want access to those games, due to DRM and DLC etc, it's tied to your account so your only option is just to play on someone's elses account, the one with all the games purchased for it. It probably wouldn't seem all that strange if your family started using your account when you were no longer around since unlike physical, you can't just give it to somebody else. Another disadvantage to digital purchases certainly and all those games that were delisted and only available on this particular account...

I think if you inherited an account, you could set your console as the primary for that account, then all the purchased games on it would be playable using your main one, as long as you were playing on that console, couldn't you?

I believe that's correct - I hope so, as I have actually included my passwords for my account in a document that is tied to my will - so hopefully I'm right!

I know that might seem an odd thing to include in a will - obviously, I don't think the trophies or account name etc. are worth any material value, - but there are thousands of pounds worth of purchased games associated with it, so that is something that would be of considerable value to someone- in the same way a physical collection might.

1 hour ago, Tsundokuist said:

Just as often I feel happy for these people.

I mean this week I’ll receive an NBA 2K23 pre-order that cost me £129.99 and I’ll enjoy the game but based on my last experience with the franchise it’s going to be 400hrs+ of grinding, partially in online modes I suck at but can hopefully stumble across enough people who suck to an even greater degree that I earn a few meaningless digital trinkets…

While we all suffer our compulsion and groan about what devs make us do for a platinum or don’t make others do in “EZ” games we’re not playing, I imagine these ghost profiles belonging to people who are gleefully running through sunlit meadows, laughing with friends and playing tennis in pristine white pants, like the most carefree of tampon ad protagonists.

Shit dude that's like your heating for almost a week. Enjoy the game though wrapped up in your extra blankets.

I did have some people I played destiny and other stuff with but they all kinda just disappeared some are on steam, some moved console some got married others just fell off the face of the planet while I struggle on alone (literally) collecting meaningless trophys as I have nothing else in my life except work.

Now that is depressing.

(Just to clarify yes I have depression I've had it a very long time and yes I am getting help but with covid and shit it took a steep downward spiral which I am slowly climbing out of.

Edited by Ultraxian
  • Like 2

Sorta off topic but not

I used to play BFBC2 religiously with 3 other friends on ps3 

And I do mean religiously, maybe 4 hours a day 6 or 7 on the weekends.

We had a group text chat back when that was a thing 

One night one of our guys didn't show

Then another and another 

5 days later we got a message saying he was just going through a hard time ( divorce) 

His last message to us was I'll see you guys tomorrow 

Before switching to ps4 his ps3 profile said last online 3+ years.

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I know that might seem an odd thing to include in a will - obviously, I don't think the trophies or account name etc. are worth any material value, - but there are thousands of pounds worth of purchased games associated with it, so that is something that would be of considerable value to someone- in the same way a physical collection might.

Oh, no way, that seems like a very sensible decision actually.

I'm kinda worried though that the passwords in your will. Well, I'm changing my password a fair amount.

I just hope you keep updating your will everytime you change your password. Which I hope is a lot more than "never" changing it lol

This was the same thing when I played Runescape and Old School Runescape. Tons of people I used to play with in my youth back in the early - mid 2000s, whom I haven't heard from in over a decade and we kept our online contact information outside of the games.

Times change and unfortunately life can be pretty cruel to some people. I'm sure plenty of World of Warcraft veterans can tell you about the good old days of circa 2004 - 2007 when it was about participating in a 40 man raid. Some of those buddies you played with are dead and no longer living.

kfree7 got on me a couple times on this website and when I saw that link to his memorial, he was not at all the kind of guy I would associate as being one of the top trophy hunters. evilartifact was another guy on this website who passed away in 2019 from cancer, I recall seeing him here on the forums a few times.