opinion on game?

demonoid321

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the graphics might be a bit iffy, the draw distance is kinda funny, sometimes you cant see the enemy unless you are in the right position.  But after all is said and done, the game is over 10 years old, and it is still one hell of a FPS.  I am having one hell of a wonderful time playing this again.  I am currently 75% of my way through it on Hard, and boy do you have to be cautious.  You have to really look after your health and armour because, as opposed to todays FPS's, your health does not regenerate over time.

If you like FPS, then you truly must give this a try.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I played it on PC in 2007 I believe, back then the game was a lot of fun. I can't seem to enjoy old shooters anymore, so I'm playing this just for the trophies. The AI takes a lot of fun out of this game. Playing in stealth mode will end up in too much frustration.

Also, the port could've been better. Still MILES better than the Killzone HD port, which was plain terrible.

• 1 year later...

This games alright. You can tell it's an older game.

The graphics in HD don't look hot and I found the game a bit stiff to control. Draw distace isn't good. Stealth is so, so frustrating.

The game is way too buggy. My game froze way too many times.

On the plus side, the game is pretty challenging. In a fair way. Health doesn't regenerate. Enemies use some cover and use basic tactics (even as they run at you). Even though the weapons aren't exciting, they really feel powerful and act different enough. Using the binoculars is a pretty cool touch. Finally, even though the graphics aren't nice, the island scenery is beautiful to look at.

• Like 3

It's a really old game and it doesn't compare to any newer FC game, IMO.  I played it solely for the plat, so I didn't notice many bugs, but then again, game's today are so buggy that unless it crashes and eats my save, I hardly notice anymore.  It's very very dated, and the whole 'Frat bro secret agent, whoa' plotline and dialog is almost unbearable.  That said, once you get going it's a fairly straight forward game.  I definitely wouldn't play it again.

Lots of bugs....

Yeah, but in a good way, like easy Hard mode completion :P

• 1 month later...

I remember I played this back when it was first released on PC. Linear story line, and can have some decently hard sections IMO (IIRC).

It is very little like FC3. There are many open areas in the levels, but also some rather closed off. You usually got objectives you gotta complete as you make your way.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/8/2016 at 7:35 PM, crisding89 said:

back in 2004 it might be amazing. as for now......

"terrible, just.....terrible...." :unsure:

Meh, wasn't all that impressed with it back in the days, and replaying it now, I remember why I didn't like it at all. :P I got no idea why I purchased this game other than the price. So not into shooters and this game's gameplay doesn't make matters better. Shooting enemies you don't see from across the map isn't my thing.

• 3 months later...

Played a few hours so far. It's a poor port.

I spent the last 40 - 45 minutes trying to beat the Treehouse level without dying. Basically the game has crashed on me three seperate times, the first time it made a weird glitchy screen with lines all over my TV. Then you have the 1990s cheesy style dialogue, pretty generic plot like the movies we used to see back in the 1980s and early 1990s. Just overall bad. Has aged very poorly.

It's not difficult whatsoever on Easy, but it's very annoying what with all the glitches and crashing. I've already seen a few glitches, most notably the gunfire sound that just loops endlessly whenever you kill someone every now and then.

1 hour ago, Splathew said:

Some games don't age well and this is one of them.

43 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Honestly, was just as bad back in the day.

That's what you're going to get and it's easier to see as you get older. More than plenty of shovelware and just god awful games that seemed good back in the day. I can name countless titles on the NES and SNES/Genesis that were bad.

I will never understand people who blindly defend 1980s/1990s games like they are the absolute best when it's clear as day there were a lot, and I mean a lot of games that just weren't that good to begin with. Today they are even worse because they have badly aged.

I went back and played a couple games I played back in 1992 - 1995. I won't mention the games since I doubt anyone would care, but they definitely didn't age well. You don't see that as a little kid because everything is well, new is you. As someone who is closing in on 30 years of age I have definitely played my fair share of tripe and absolute garbage.

Of course I've been gaming long before trophies even existed, so there's that.

23 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That's what you're going to get and it's easier to see as you get older. More than plenty of shovelware and just god awful games that seemed good back in the day. I can name countless titles on the NES and SNES/Genesis that were bad.

I will never understand people who blindly defend 1980s/1990s games like they are the absolute best when it's clear as day there were a lot, and I mean a lot of games that just weren't that good to begin with. Today they are even worse because they have badly aged.

I went back and played a couple games I played back in 1992 - 1995. I won't mention the games since I doubt anyone would care, but they definitely didn't age well. You don't see that as a little kid because everything is well, new is you. As someone who is closing in on 30 years of age I have definitely played my fair share of tripe and absolute garbage.

Of course I've been gaming long before trophies even existed, so there's that.

No, I didn't think the game was any good back in the day either. I played it when it was released, and I really gave it a go, but I thought it was pretty shit. The game just wasn't great. There's tons of great games from late 80s and entire 90s, that I played both back then and didn't play before long after.

Edited by MMDE

19 minutes ago, MMDE said:

No, I didn't think the game was any good back in the day either. I played it when it was released, and I really gave it a go, but I thought it was pretty shit. The game just wasn't great. There's tons of great games from late 80s and entire 90s, both back then and long after.

The 2004 original for the PC apparently got some praise, all the sequels that came out and pretty soon Far Cry 5 will be in stores.

I'm a classic gamer at heart. As great as games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn are, they will never compare to the games I played in the early 90s. I'm merely talking out of nostalgia. I still have titles like Starcraft and Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness I play a couple of times a year. Definitely will be picking up Starcraft Remastered, it's just too good to pass.

We have to take the bad with the good.

Just now, Spaz said:

The 2004 original for the PC apparently got some praise, all the sequels that came out and pretty soon Far Cry 5 will be in stores.

I'm a classic gamer at heart. As great as games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn are, they will never compare to the games I played in the early 90s. I'm merely talking out of nostalgia. I still have titles like Starcraft and Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness I play a couple of times a year. Definitely will be picking up Starcraft Remastered, it's just too good to pass.

We have to take the bad with the good.

Yeah, I know this game got some praise when it was first released, but I still thought it was shit back then. Why? Well, it tried to do open levels, but everyone spotted you from other side of the level and shot at you with good accuracy. It was missing the stealth. Sure, the game tried to do something new, but the game just didn't work well, it was a mess.

• Like 1

Just now, MMDE said:

Yeah, I know this game got some praise when it was first released, but I still thought it was shit back then. Why? Well, it tried to do open levels, but everyone spotted you from other side of the level and shot at you with good accuracy. It was missing the stealth. Sure, the game tried to do something new, but the game just didn't work well, it was a mess.

I hear a lot of people complain about Far Cry 2 as well. Mostly because of the required online for the platinum but also because it hasn't aged as well in comparison to Far Cry 3 and 4.

Far Cry 3, 4, Blood Dragon and Primal are definitely worth your while. I thought I was going to get something okay with Far Cry Classic. I was wrong apparently.

My game keeps freezing up and it's really irritating because the trophy I'm trying to get can only be obtained from start to finish in a particular chapter. Can't resume from a checkpoint.

• 2 months later...

The game is worse then average, but i can't really complain since it's an old game. I also had my game freezing on me countless times + the enemy spotting you over half of the map isn't enjoyable either. The thing that irritated the most was deleting the saves, i have an old ps3 fat and i had 118 saves from farcry classic alone -_-, took some time even if it was 50 mb or so haha.