opinion on game?

demonoid321

23 minutes ago, wuthg21 said:

The game is worse then average, but i can't really complain since it's an old game. I also had my game freezing on me countless times + the enemy spotting you over half of the map isn't enjoyable either. The thing that irritated the most was deleting the saves, i have an old ps3 fat and i had 118 saves from farcry classic alone -_-, took some time even if it was 50 mb or so haha.

You can complain, even if it's an old game. I didn't think the game was good back then either, and I really tried to like it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MMDE said:

You can complain, even if it's an old game. I didn't think the game was good back then either, and I really tried to like it.

Farcry 3 is still my favourite of the series, i only bought classic because it was on sale and so that i could add another farcry to my list :D

Weird thing is that I was doing some gold trophy clean-up runs yesterday and all of a sudden the game was starting to freeze up on me a lot. I guess Like I said the playthrough itself was not too bad, but I guess I really jinxed that one :)

Having said that: I have only one challenge left, getting that silly woman to stay alive for the whole Swamp level. She runs at grenades and shoots in the air, so it's proving quite the challenge. I had a funny moment where she even blocked the stairs for me inside the first building, constantly looking down. Suddenly one remaining merc appeared and she blocked him too. For a few short moments we had a nice little threesome xD

I was dreading the stealth mission on Research, but it was not too bad once I knew what to do. The tactic that worked for me was to tag them all from afar with the binoculars, get close and stay in cover while picking them off with the silenced gun. When everybody was gone I just rushed for the key card.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the original and played it to death back when it was first released on PC in 2004. Revisiting it on PS3 has not been a pleasant experience. For one it runs at just 720p and 30fps. That's lower than most PCs back when the game came out so it's not a HD port but rather a downgrade. That coupled with the frame rate drops and the visuals overall look pretty bad compared to the PC version. I realise the PS3 was only released about 2 years after Far Cry came out on PC and it was a very taxing game for the time. Only the most high end graphics cards in 2004 could run it at max settings at a decent frame rate. This port also has other issues with sound bugs. The guns keep firing when an enemy dies and it sounds like all the game audio cuts out when you fire your gun or other sound effects go off. Also the music is completely messed up and won't even play until you reload a checkpoint. I also had the game crash after just 1 hour of playing. Overall this is a pretty disgusting port of an otherwise great game. I'd recommend skipping this and modding the PC version. It takes a bit of extra work but console is not the way to enjoy this classic.

11 minutes ago, Mayadome said:

I love the original and played it to death back when it was first released on PC in 2004. Revisiting it on PS3 has not been a pleasant experience. For one it runs at just 720p and 30fps. That's lower than most PCs back when the game came out so it's not a HD port but rather a downgrade. That coupled with the frame rate drops and the visuals overall look pretty bad compared to the PC version. I realise the PS3 was only released about 2 years after Far Cry came out on PC and it was a very taxing game for the time. Only the most high end graphics cards in 2004 could run it at max settings at a decent frame rate. This port also has other issues with sound bugs. The guns keep firing when an enemy dies and it sounds like all the game audio cuts out when you fire your gun or other sound effects go off. Also the music is completely messed up and won't even play until you reload a checkpoint. I also had the game crash after just 1 hour of playing. Overall this is a pretty disgusting port of an otherwise great game. I'd recommend skipping this and modding the PC version. It takes a bit of extra work but console is not the way to enjoy this classic.

You actually liked it on initial release? I know people did, but I never understood why. Stealth didn't work, and enemies would shoot you from the other side of the island etc. This stuff just broke the game IMO, and I thought so back then too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

You actually liked it on initial release? I know people did, but I never understood why. Stealth didn't work, and enemies would shoot you from the other side of the island etc. This stuff just broke the game IMO, and I thought so back then too.

I did but it was during a time when FPS games were still a lot like Far Cry and hadn't become what we take for granted today. Also the graphics were revolutionary at the time. The best looking FPS games were Half Life 2 and Doom 3 but I think Far Cry was the most technically advanced, although Half Life 2 had some pretty amazing physics too.

I think what was most impressive was the sheer scale of the levels. I remember playing around with the level editor and there was no theoretical limit to the size of the level (until it crashed due to running out of memory). The semi open world-ness and nonlinear environments were definitely the strong point of the game. Also the pretty water :P I can definitely see the complaints being valid with regards to stealth and the AI is pretty wonky too with them shooting you from a mile away but I don't think it was as big of a problem back then. It certainly wasn't an easy game, mostly due to the cheating AI and semi-broken mechanics.

Maybe it's nostalgia talking but I did really enjoy the game back then. It certainly has aged as evident by this port but it's still a decent game on PC. It's just kinda overshadowed nowadays thanks to so many open world FPS games. Crysis was the true successor to Far Cry and I had a blast with that too.

Edited by Mayadome

3 minutes ago, Mayadome said:

I did but it was during a time when FPS games were still a lot like Far Cry and hadn't become what we take for granted today. Also the graphics were revolutionary at the time. The best looking FPS games were Half Life 2 and Doom 3 at the time both of which were great looking games but I think Far Cry was the most technically advanced, although Half Life 2 had some pretty amazing physics for the time too.

I think what was most impressive was the sheer scale of the levels. I remember playing around with the level editor and there was no theoretical limit to the size of the level (until it crashed due to running out of memory). The semi open world-ness and nonlinear environments were definitely the strong point of the game. Also the pretty water :P I can definitely see the complaints being valid with regards to stealth and the AI is pretty wonky too with them shooting you from a mile away but I don't think it was as big of a problem back then. It certainly wasn't an easy game, mostly due to the cheating AI and semi-broken mechanics.

Maybe it's nostalgia talking but I did really enjoy the game back then. It certainly has aged as evident by this port but it's still a decent game on PC. It's just kinda overshadowed nowadays thanks to so many open world FPS games. Crysis was the true successor to Far Cry and I had a blast with that too.

Most FPS wasn't like Far Cry back then. Far Cry tried to do the entire big open levels. They tried to do stealth etc. It just wasn't good, and I didn't think it was back then either. It's not like you didn't have better FPS back then, and long before it. It's just what they went for didn't work the way they approached it. As you say, the semi-open world was the "strong point", though I don't think it was a strong point when it was done as poorly as it was.

Yeah, I just never enjoyed the game back then, and I did play it to the very end. The game runs almost the same on PC, it's just not good. It was something refreshing and a bit new when it was released, but I don't think it was ever any good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MMDE said:

Most FPS wasn't like Far Cry back then. Far Cry tried to do the entire big open levels. They tried to do stealth etc. It just wasn't good, and I didn't think it was back then either. It's not like you didn't have better FPS back then, and long before it. It's just what they went for didn't work the way they approached it. As you say, the semi-open world was the "strong point", though I don't think it was a strong point when it was done as poorly as it was.

Yeah, I just never enjoyed the game back then, and I did play it to the very end. The game runs almost the same on PC, it's just not good. It was something refreshing and a bit new when it was released, but I don't think it was ever any good.

What I mean is that no FPS back then had alert indicators, heads up displays for enemy location and other modern FPS features we take for granted today, hence Far Cry was a lot like other FPS games back in the day in regards to the core FPS mechanics. Off the top of my head the popular FPS games back then were Serious Sam, Battlefield 1942, Red Faction, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Call of Duty 1, Soldier of Fortune 2. I'm sure there's more but thinking back on those games none of them had features we take for granted in modern FPS. The fact that Far Cry even has some semblance of stealth was impressive in itself. Most games just made you use a silence pistol and if you used anything else or an enemy spotted you the entire map would be gunning for you. Anyway I don't think the game was designed with stealth in mind it left it up to the player. You could approach a situation in numerous ways and that's definitely one of the strong points. It wasn't truly topped until Half Life 2 came out in my opinion and that game remains one of the best FPS ever made in my opinion.

I dunno I'm probably rambling but I don't think Far Cry was a bad game, not even a mediocre game. It was a good game that pushed visuals and gameplay at the time but has aged clearly. I played a little bit tonight on PC and it's definitely way different to the console version. For example all the items are static on console whereas they all have physics on PC. Remember the suspension bridges on top of the ship in the 2nd level? Those were completely static on console but on PC you can shoot the cables and enemies fall off. Little things like that really made every encounter dynamic and opened up numerous ways to approach the level. The console version is completely devoid of any of that and every encounter is simply aim and shoot.

Edited by Mayadome
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

This game is awful! I'm not enjoying any part of it. The 'Ninja Jack' trophy was a torturous joke to achieve. I'm praying it doesn't make me drive again because I cannot control any vehicle properly. Only for the glitch to complete it on hard difficulty I would abandon this. There is no way I'd even attempt this broken piece of crap on a higher difficulty. And I know it's an old game, but there are many old games that at least work properly - MGS and POP for example. If you are thinking of playing it - think carefully, that's all I'm saying ? I pray that FC2 is better if I ever get around to it lol

• Like 1

Sadly, the game has not dated well at all. I found the playthrough(s) pretty frustrating although there were a few enjoyable levels and interesting environments. The frame rate is not great is places which only makes the experience worse compared to PC.

Edited by BOOTP
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hogie838 said:

This game is awful! I'm not enjoying any part of it. The 'Ninja Jack' trophy was a torturous joke to achieve. I'm praying it doesn't make me drive again because I cannot control any vehicle properly. Only for the glitch to complete it on hard difficulty I would abandon this. There is no way I'd even attempt this broken piece of crap on a higher difficulty. And I know it's an old game, but there are many old games that at least work properly - MGS and POP for example. If you are thinking of playing it - think carefully, that's all I'm saying ? I pray that FC2 is better if I ever get around to it lol

Far cry 2 is better but some of the trophies are practically unobtainable now. Unless you can find 15 other people to boost it with you the war party trophy is a no go!

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 10:54 PM, Mayadome said:

720p is HD. That’s not debatable, regardless of whether it’s a downgrade.

53 minutes ago, jpwbjpwb said:

Far cry 2 is better but some of the trophies are practically unobtainable now. Unless you can find 15 other people to boost it with you the war party trophy is a no go!

Thanks for the heads up, guess I'll skip that one so! I believe the mp is really buggy too.

• 3 months later...

Most PlayStation 1 games played smoother than this junk. I think this is the worst first person shooter I've ever played. They claim you can use stealth but the enemies can see and shoot through walls. I was expecting the game to be difficult due to its age but it just feels very cheap because of how poorly designed it is. Graphics are great for its time though. That's about it, a little sparkle on a giant turd 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

A tropical paradise with hidden evil in Far Cry, an action shooter that shifts the boundaries of the battle to a very different level for that time. The levels are so well designed that you can choose how you want to complete them, the game mechanics are fantastic. The story is certainly.a little.simply, but.who.who.sakes.the.from.you.have.such.pleasure.

The atmosphere, the mechanics, the tough language, the weapons and the free walking around are addictive. Finding the way around the heavy fights, doing things differently, such as sailing instead of driving, is well rewarded. Sniping, moving fast and using the fixed machine guns give a lot of satisfaction.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/30/2017 at 3:11 PM, Mayadome said:

What I mean is that no FPS back then had alert indicators, heads up displays for enemy location and other modern FPS features we take for granted today, hence Far Cry was a lot like other FPS games back in the day in regards to the core FPS mechanics. Off the top of my head the popular FPS games back then were Serious Sam, Battlefield 1942, Red Faction, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Call of Duty 1, Soldier of Fortune 2. I'm sure there's more but thinking back on those games none of them had features we take for granted in modern FPS. The fact that Far Cry even has some semblance of stealth was impressive in itself. Most games just made you use a silence pistol and if you used anything else or an enemy spotted you the entire map would be gunning for you. Anyway I don't think the game was designed with stealth in mind it left it up to the player. You could approach a situation in numerous ways and that's definitely one of the strong points. It wasn't truly topped until Half Life 2 came out in my opinion and that game remains one of the best FPS ever made in my opinion.

I dunno I'm probably rambling but I don't think Far Cry was a bad game, not even a mediocre game. It was a good game that pushed visuals and gameplay at the time but has aged clearly. I played a little bit tonight on PC and it's definitely way different to the console version. For example all the items are static on console whereas they all have physics on PC. Remember the suspension bridges on top of the ship in the 2nd level? Those were completely static on console but on PC you can shoot the cables and enemies fall off. Little things like that really made every encounter dynamic and opened up numerous ways to approach the level. The console version is completely devoid of any of that and every encounter is simply aim and shoot.

That's not true at all, and there were many, many, many more games back then.

The most popular one back then was Counter-Strike 1.6, not even a discussion. Halo was even out. Other popular ones were of course Half-Life, TimeSplitters 2, Quake II, various 007 games, Unreal (Tournament), several Medal of Honor games, Metroid Prime, Wolfenstein and Doom was still popular, 

More importantly, Ubisoft made other FPS games before this one, more specifically see Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, which had all the stuff you said. What this game really did was just the open island stuff, which wasn't done all that good. In fact, the Rainbow Six games even had planning stage, where you could control where your other teams go and what start out gear they had. Stealth? Many missions were about getting into some location taken over by terrorists, and they usually had hostages. I remember well some levels in Rogue Spear where you were supposed to infiltrate a location undetected and bug stuff etc.

I repeat, what was new about this game was the big and open island levels.

Edited by MMDE

26 minutes ago, MMDE said:

More importantly, Ubisoft made other FPS games before this one, more specifically see Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, which had all the stuff you said. What this game really did was just the open island stuff, which wasn't done all that good. In fact, the Rainbow Six games even had planning stage, where you could control where your other teams go and what start out gear they had. Stealth? Many missions were about getting into some location taken over by terrorists, and they usually had hostages. I remember well some levels in Rogue Spear where you were supposed to infiltrate a location undetected and bug stuff etc.

Ubisoft was just the publisher on this one, the game was made by Crytek unlike the sequels that are developed by Ubisoft Montreal since part 2 as far as I know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

Ubisoft was just the publisher on this one, the game was made by Crytek unlike the sequels that are developed by Ubisoft Montreal since part 2 as far as I know.

Sure, doesn't change Ubisoft already did a lot of what this game did. Besides, Rainbow Six were just better games IMO :'D

• Like 1

This game was awesome back in the day. My cousin still has it running on his high-end PC and the mods he has on it make it beautiful and play great. It truly was top of the pile of early 2000s FPS games. Having played this for the plat fairly recently, well, this version just isn't great. A step above the likes of Far Cry Instincts or Vengeance but still not indicative of the true FC experience.

5 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

This game was awesome back in the day. My cousin still has it running on his high-end PC and the mods he has on it make it beautiful and play great. It truly was top of the pile of early 2000s FPS games. Having played this for the plat fairly recently, well, this version just isn't great. A step above the likes of Far Cry Instincts or Vengeance but still not indicative of the true FC experience.

Really? I did play it back then, same experience as now, certain things were just broken.

• 4 months later...
On 1/16/2021 at 3:48 PM, scemopagliaccioh said:

If I could remove a game in my profile, it would be this, no hesitation about it, the worst of the 300+ games in there, not even Space Overlord was as bad as it 

This made me laugh. I was actually reading through this thread a while ago and I meant to post my response but I never got back to it. While I don't think it's the worst game on my profile (that award goes to GI Joe... I will never finish that horrible game), it's definitely up there as being one of the worst. While the nostalgia and novelty were great during the first level, it quickly wore off and I remembered why this game left a bitter taste in my mouth.