Does the initial player base seem a little low?

Jake-TheGreat97

I agree with @Leenewbe, it's a recent enough title that most people would have played either the original on PS3 or remaster on PS4 relatively recently. Though I do think it looks fantastic in this latest release, I'm not going to purchase it again. I don't have an issue with someone who is a big fan of TLOU games digging into this new release, but it's just not for me. I will perhaps pick it up on sale a few years down the line when I have the itch to re-experience the story. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

Demon's Souls. And it was pretty popular : )

I know, I know, it doesn't count, whatever. It's the closest thing to this, though. 

DS Remake was a bit different though

1) The original game was somewhat niche, the Soulsborne genre took off with Dark Souls. A lot of people didn't play the original, whereas I imagine that most people who own a PS3 / PS4 did indeed play the original TLOU or the remaster

2) Demon's Souls was the only PS5-exclusive launch title, everything else was a cross-gen release 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

Demon's Souls. And it was pretty popular : )

I know, I know, it doesn't count, whatever. It's the closest thing to this, though. 

Thats my point. Comparing this to the “closest thing” isn’t quite a helpful comparison to make a decent deduction. 

10 minutes ago, UnstoppableRock1 said:

DS Remake was a bit different though

1) The original game was somewhat niche, the Soulsborne genre took off with Dark Souls. A lot of people didn't play the original, whereas I imagine that most people who own a PS3 / PS4 did indeed play the original TLOU or the remaster

2) Demon's Souls was the only PS5-exclusive launch title, everything else was a cross-gen release 

So... you're saying it made more sense for DA to be redone? I agree!

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Thats my point. Comparing this to the “closest thing” isn’t quite a helpful comparison to make a decent deduction. 

Eh, it's a brand new game, they always have a lot of players in the first week. This one doesn't and we all know why 

The only version of this game I would even consider buying at full price is the Firefly Edition and they made the mind boggling decision to ONLY release it in the US and ONLY from PlayStation Direct. I get that it might be due to some kind of licensing issues with the included comics (pure speculation/rumors) but regardless of the reason, it felt like a slap in the face.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheRedMaverick said:

The only version of this game I would even consider buying at full price is the Firefly Edition and they made the mind boggling decision to ONLY release it in the US and ONLY from PlayStation Direct. I get that it might be due to some kind of licensing issues with the included comics (pure speculation/rumors) but regardless of the reason, it felt like a slap in the face.

And then they packaged it so poorly that they all arrived broken. Just wonderful!

• Like 1

This game really should've just gone up on one of the higher PS+ tiers as a free drop considering how little it offers to consumers. I can literally buy The Last of Us Remastered (the PS4 one) for less then a month of PS+ Essential.

Sony really lost their nut with this one...which isn't actually all that unusual for Sony but I'd like to believe they know better...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Remaster. PS5 Only. I have a feeling that we'd need another PS5 Only, Remastered game to do a closer comparison.

You could maybe do it with Uncharted 4's PS5 version. But that was significantly cheaper if you already owned a copy of UC4. You didn't have to drop $70 for it if you already owned it on PS4.

Plus it came with Lost Legacy, so there was a whole other game attached to it too. Not just a DLC bundled in.

Only people with very large income or who don't care about their money, or who have never played Tlou 1 and want to try this version, are buying it now. It's almost like an "oh look, I have a lot of cash on hand" thing. Even if you can afford it, you still have to consider whether the need exists.

2 hours ago, UnstoppableRock1 said:

Sony should have funneled resources into remaking a game that people haven't played to death since 2013 - or even better, a new IP 

Well if we're going by the story of how this remake even came about to begin with, one of the talking points is how it was taking too long and costing too much for the type of project it is, which is why it was handed over to Naughty Dog to finish it and get it done properly. Who knows what state it would be in if not for that, so if anything they saved resources by handing it off to ND. 

And ND are absolutely working on a new IP alongside Factions and whatever else they might have going on, you can pretty much guarantee it. I don't know where people get this idea that a huge development studio can only work on one project at a time, or that Sony has very limited resources and anything that's being worked on is simultaneously taking away from other projects. 

51 minutes ago, EightBitArtist said:

Factions should be out already and this game surely delayed the release of that by taking teams members off that game and put on this game.

Eh, no? It's been mentioned on numerous occasions now that this new 'Factions' game kept growing beyond it's initial scope and kept getting bigger and more ambitious, to the point it became its own thing to begin with, separate from Part II. Part I has absolutely nothing to do with it development on Factions or anything else for that matter. This project gave staff a chance to do something whilst those other projects get off the ground and allowed them to get to grips with the PS5 in the meantime. 

• Like 1

I don't know why but I was under the impression the faction's standalone multiplayer would be free to those who purchased the last of us part 2. It's been so long I forget. This damn dev can go to hell. I'm past caring after what they did in part 2. They have cocked this brand up right up. I hope this re-re-release... also tanks.

• Like 3