Does the initial player base seem a little low?

Jake-TheGreat97

Well, it's higher than Saints Row, and that's a brand new game. lol

And way lower than Stray.

I think a bigger issue actually is Playstation ++, and choice! I mean look at the most popular games played, there's quite a lot now, all around 2000 each and many of these are loooong or grindy game.

This isn't like PS+ in ye old days when suddenly the 1 or 2 games free this month make it onto the list.

There's loads of games free each month now, there's almost too much choice these days, I myself honestly don't even have time to play anything on PS+ for years, because I have so many other games to play. And then there's the "OMG this game is free but can I get platinum in a month of time?!" so sometimes people have to choose a game and then stick with it mostly before it goes away. What of the server closing games, that seem pretty frequent lately?

And, whether it's your Elden Ring or Horizon Zero dawn, there's been a lot of new games this year and most of them are very long indeed.

A remaster of a remaster of a remaster, certainly doesn't help of course though.

PS And this comment is dedicated to DrBloodMoney (Don't want to disappoint him) lol, even the EZPZ poppers have their work cut out these days with games coming out daily, not like many people have the time or play to play a remake of an old game and with such a high pricetag.....

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

I happily paid $70 for this. It's my favorite game of all time and it was a joy playing through the story again since it's been a few years. ND has done an excellent job with this remake/remaster. Totally understand that I'm the exception though.

I had a feeling overall sales for be soft for a Playstation Studios game when they unveiled it would be a full price title a few months ago. The immediate negative backlash was sad to see but understandable. Had they charged $50 or below for this I think people would be more forgiving. 

Good chance the PC version of Part 1 will coincide with the HBO TV show so this might be a case of a title with really strong legs versus massive sales on day one. Only time will tell.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Well if we're going by the story of how this remake even came about to begin with, one of the talking points is how it was taking too long and costing too much for the type of project it is, which is why it was handed over to Naughty Dog to finish it and get it done properly. Who knows what state it would be in if not for that, so if anything they saved resources by handing it off to ND. 

And ND are absolutely working on a new IP alongside Factions and whatever else they might have going on, you can pretty much guarantee it. I don't know where people get this idea that a huge development studio can only work on one project at a time, or that Sony has very limited resources and anything that's being worked on is simultaneously taking away from other projects. 

Eh, no? It's been mentioned on numerous occasions now that this new 'Factions' game kept growing beyond it's initial scope and kept getting bigger and more ambitious, to the point it became its own thing to begin with, separate from Part II. Part I has absolutely nothing to do with it development on Factions or anything else for that matter. This project gave staff a chance to do something whilst those other projects get off the ground and allowed them to get to grips with the PS5 in the meantime. 

there is an opportunity cost to EVERYTHING done. employees at naughty dog were working on this game instead of something else at the studio. if it didnt take away from factions, then it took away from the new IP they are making.  if you think it didnt, youre fooling yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EightBitArtist said:

there is an opportunity cost to EVERYTHING done. employees at naughty dog were working on this game instead of something else at the studio. if it didnt take away from factions, then it took away from the new IP they are making.  if you think it didnt, youre fooling yourself.

And the PS5 development experience the team gained working on this, in addition to all the inevitable profit it'll drive will pay dividends. Don't fool yourself into thinking this title somehow cost Naughty Dog anything.

6 minutes ago, EightBitArtist said:

its amazing how naughty dog is the only sony dev that needs to remake old games for "the development experience". they said the same thing for redoing TLOU on ps4. cant wait till the remake of TLOU part 2 for ps6 "for the ps6 development experience".

Bluepoint remade both SOTC and Demon's Souls for better experience. Insomniac released an improved version of Spiderman to get better experience with the PS5.

The TLOU Remake is pretty much intended for the HBO Max show that's coming out. If the show takes off and becomes one of the major shows on that service it's going to translate to the remake being sold to that audience. Sony stands to gain more that way by drawing more people in for a new version of the game on their latest system than to just have people search out the PS4 version and get it used.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Investigator said:

wrong on all points

Bluepoint remade SOTC and DS because they were trapped on a dead, outdated system with horrible sub 30fps versions

TLOU has a native 4k/30fps, native 1800p/60fps version, (which is higher than remake's native 1440p for the 60fps mode), with MP that is on all PS+ tiers on PS5, the situations couldn't be more different

Insomiac got their feet wet with MILES MORALES ps5 version on ps5, not the remaster, the remaster was done to have the first game with the new Peter for consistency, and this remaster was a $20 extra to a $50 game, not a standalone $70 rerelease with less content

many thanks for that so i dont have to type out all the facts on why his response is completely wrong lol.

to say bluepoint made SOTC to get "ps4 dev experience" when they ported over Flower in 2013, Uncharted collection AND gravity rush remastered in 2015, only to say oh now we should get some dev experience by redoing SOTC is laughable.

naughty dog straight up has said in an interview (Endure and survive: how Naughty Dog brought ‘The Last of Us’ to the PS4 | The Verge) they redid TLOU on ps4 for the development experience to make uncharted 4 better and now they are saying it again with this one.

• Like 1

For me, games like Elden Ring kill the £69.99 RRP debate. If a game that dense and vast from a developer than critically acclaimed historically can continue to launch their new titles at £49.99 RRP, there is no justification for other games to cost £20+ more just because of their next-gen hardware exclusivity.

This is a top-5 video game of all time for me...as a huge fan, it was certainly worth it and couldn't resist a Day 1 purchase. However, being unbiased, it isn't worth £69.99. A nice graphical remaster, but it doesn't feel like a true remake as marketed, and a lot of that is that its only been 9 years. The mechanics aren't outdated, and it didn't feel improved for having better visuals. You're also getting less content than originally release. Removing MP is standard practise in remasters/remakes, but removing it AND increasing the price? Not sure that's right. 

Perhaps controversial, but I'd have preferred a free PS5 upgrade for Part II, I think. Feels weird that Part I is on PS5, but the newer game - Part II - is only PS4. 

• Like 4

It shouldn't be surprising, but it still is:

There are so many people who think "This thing isn't for ME" and justify with whatever reasons they want (good for them for being an informed consumer), then turn it into "So it can't be for anyone else!" Because they assume everyone must be like them??

Further they act like people explaining how it could be for something other than what they considered is trying to convince them that it's for them. Nope. Just nope.

Sorry if it shatters their world view that others have different values.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

For me, games like Elden Ring kill the £69.99 RRP debate. If a game that dense and vast from a developer than critically acclaimed historically can continue to launch their new titles at £49.99 RRP, there is no justification for other games to cost £20+ more just because of their next-gen hardware exclusivity.

This is a top-5 video game of all time for me...as a huge fan, it was certainly worth it and couldn't resist a Day 1 purchase. However, being unbiased, it isn't worth £69.99. A nice graphical remaster, but it doesn't feel like a true remake as marketed, and a lot of that is that its only been 9 years. The mechanics aren't outdated, and it didn't feel improved for having better visuals. You're also getting less content than originally release. Removing MP is standard practise in remasters/remakes, but removing it AND increasing the price? Not sure that's right. 

Perhaps controversial, but I'd have preferred a free PS5 upgrade for Part II, I think. Feels weird that Part I is on PS5, but the newer game - Part II - is only PS4. 

Part 2, God of War, and Day's Gone all received a patch for PS5 performance when you play it on one instead of a dedicated version.

28 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It shouldn't be surprising, but it still is:

There are so many people who think "This thing isn't for ME" and justify with whatever reasons they want (good for them for being an informed consumer), then turn it into "So it can't be for anyone else!" Because they assume everyone must be like them??

Further they act like people explaining how it could be for something other than what they considered is trying to convince them that it's for them. Nope. Just nope.

Sorry if it shatters their world view that others have different values.

Yeah, cause, you know, assumptions are for adults, I'm telling ya!

Who cares. It will sell. Hopefully not strong enough to get another re-release in the near while.

But it'll be really interesting to see the price tag for it when it hits PC.

Edited by VegaMan-X4

19 hours ago, UnstoppableRock1 said:

Nobody asked for TLOU to be remade 5 years after a remaster had come out, that's why 

Sony should have funneled resources into remaking a game that people haven't played to death since 2013

This nails it on the head, between TLOU1 and Uncharted 1 there's no question which game DESPERATELY needed a remake and which one DIDN'T need a remake, I mean Uncharted 1 doesn't hold a candle to how much better the series got with each iteration

Edited by TheDXJC56
double post

21 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

It’s funny, I saw the 4.5k recent players on the site here and was actually thinking the opposite. I was kind of surprised and thinking the player base seemed a little high. I don’t know.

The Last of Us is undoubtedly a masterpiece and it looks like they did a really great job “remaking” it, but I had kind of figured that with so many people playing the original as well as the PS4 remaster which has been dirt cheap/free for years that people might not wanna drop $70 or whatever the game is in USD (I just checked the store and it’s a whopping $90 CAD pre-taxes) on a game that is really not that much different or better looking than the remastered experience. At least not at that price tag.

I’m guessing the main draw for people on this site would be the significantly easier platinum trophy, but beyond that it seems kinda pointless to buy this tbh. Even with how much I love this game, I already platinumed it 2x and wouldn’t want to touch it again for at least a few years. But that’s just me. Wonder how many people feel the same? ? 

Agreed, I'm surprised it's got 4.5k too. We're in the middle of a massive global cost of living crisis and Sony are charging €80 for a remake of a game that's already been remastered. This is Naughty Dog taking the whole "games as an artform" thing in the completely wrong direction - trying to present it as prestigious artwork worthy of a Criterion Collection style 4k re-re-release. I find it hard to see it as anything other than a mixture of vanity and greed.

• Like 1

Being a PS5 only game and shrouded in drama ever since it's announcement, it's not too surprising the game not selling as much, however I do think it's not doing as bad as people are implying, lot of new folks who haven't played the game are looking forward to the HBO show will grab this game for sure.

Jax and Daxter franchise, Uncharted 1, so many games to pick and they go the most recent one that didn't need a new version, I know the TLOU IP is much bigger, but it feels rather disappointing at the end of the day, even if this is a solid remake. 

Not surprised the numbers seem low. Really wish Naughty Dog had made a Savage Starlight video game - really thought they might be teasing it with all those comics you had to collect in the game. But no, we got the same game for the 3rd time in a decade. 

Admittedly, in the future I probably will get but it will be on sale or through PS+.

9 minutes ago, LoughNessMonster said:

Agreed, I'm surprised it's got 4.5k too. We're in the middle of a massive global cost of living crisis and Sony are charging €80 for a remake of a game that's already been remastered. This is Naughty Dog taking the whole "games as an artform" thing in the completely wrong direction - trying to present it as prestigious artwork worthy of a Criterion Collection style 4k re-re-release. I find it hard to see it as anything other than a mixture of vanity and greed.

Yeah I’m kind of conflicted on the whole thing. On one hand, The Last of Us is one of my favourite games and arguably an easier contender for one of the best games ever made, so in that respect I guess it is nice to have a new version available that offers the very best possible experience. But on the other hand, I’ve been very puzzled from the start as to why Naughty Dog thought this remake was even necessary, and why now of all times as you alluded to? Ultimately it just feels like another developer with another blatant cash grab. As much as I love the game, they won’t be getting my money this time.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, EightBitArtist said:

I'm not fooling myself over anything. Everything I said is true. If you want to think that Part 1 caused delays to other ND projects then off you go. I'm done trying to use logic and facts when it comes to TLOU topics. I've been around enough of them by now to know that people will always believe what they want to believe. So whatever makes you happy, I guess ?‍♂️

• Like 1