Does the initial player base seem a little low?

Jake-TheGreat97

I would agree the numbers on the site seem high to me considering it's a ps5 only remaster of a remaster of a game that's already been done to death and an older version is still able to be played on current consoles. Charging full price probably has some effect on how many people are playing, as it's the reason why I haven't picked it up yet. I never played before and once it goes on sale I'll probably pick it up. 

Charging full $70 MSRP for a re-re-release most people have already played multiple times already with only minimal upgrades probably has most to do with it. 

If it had a price tag of say $40, it would have been a lot more enticing to many players and would have sold much more. And judging by the poor numbers, I'd imagine it will get a significant price cut sooner than later. Pure greed and arrogance to release a game like this for $70, there's no justifying it. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 6:45 PM, UnstoppableRock1 said:

Nobody asked for TLOU to be remade 5 years after a remaster had come out, that's why 

Sony should have funneled resources into remaking a game that people haven't played to death since 2013 - or even better, a new IP 

There's already way too many remakes and remasters on the market. I understand re-releasing collections of PS2 games, as in many cases it's been 20 years since the titles had been released, and many players haven't had the chance to play them then, but come on 

☝️This!??

6 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I'm not fooling myself over anything. Everything I said is true. If you want to think that Part 1 caused delays to other ND projects then off you go. I'm done trying to use logic and facts when it comes to TLOU topics. I've been around enough of them by now to know that people will always believe what they want to believe. So whatever makes you happy, I guess ?‍♂️

if naughty dog employees are working on 1 thing, that means they wont be working on something else at the studio. i find it pretty funny you think youre the one using logic and im not. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EightBitArtist said:

if naughty dog employees are working on 1 thing, that means they wont be working on something else at the studio. i find it pretty funny you think youre the one using logic and im not. ?‍♂️

I find it sad that you think being overly reductionist is being logical. Development studios are more complex than a single mass of interchangeable employees thrown at one thing again time. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 8:01 PM, kevao97 said:

Only people with very large income or who don't care about their money

Not to pick on you in particular since a lot of people share this opinion.

I just want to say you don't need to be exceedingly wealthy to afford $70.  It's one thing if you look around at what other games cost for what you're getting and feel it's not worth it personally, but I find it kinda silly when people act like it's some sort of crime to not be as frugal as you are.

I get the impression most of the people complaining aren't starving college student TLOU fans dying to play the remakester but, darnit, if it were only $30 less lol.  Just life-long holier than thou penny pinchers that have made the gaming industry their cause and given up on the subjective definition of fun a long time ago.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but PSNP only updates premium profiles automatically. Since early 2017, all other automated updates have been disabled. The front page brags with 5,5 million tracked users, but the truth is very different. If you go to the last page of the leaderboards you can see the actual number of tracked profiles (currently 4,6 million). Millions of them haven't been updated in years. You find that out under the trophy milestones on every profile:

5years0qi8h.png

By the way, "updating soon" is a lie. 

• Like 1

Just to put things into perspective: This was the front page a week after the initial launch of GTA V:

psnprofiles-ps3trophicvcid.jpg

Almost 46,000 players for GTA V. It topped at around 73,000 a bit later. The highest number of players ever for any game on PSNP. But this was before automated updates were disabled.

operamomentaufnahme_21xc0m.png

Edited by R4M Razr
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 11:15 PM, DaivRules said:

I find it sad that you think being overly reductionist is being logical. Development studios are more complex than a single mass of interchangeable employees thrown at one thing again time. 

Gaming used to be passion projects for a lot of people. But this remake and now this upcoming HZD remake just shows how bad the industry has gotten. 

These studios hold hundreds if not thousands of people, and you have the corporate management and the publishers above them. They hold the ultimate say in what goes and what doesn’t in a game. 

I want new games and new IPs that have original ideas. But that is far too much risk, because these companies feel that these projects could potentially backfire, as they have many times in the past. 

This is precisely why I mostly focus on old games, indies and some double A titles. Naughty Dog isn’t the company it used to be. Seeing how they were during the Jak & Daxter days and seeing them now makes me sad. 

Not that I’m the target audience for these remakes, as I’m not. I just wish we had something else.

• Like 3