Anyone else having problems getting Optional Conversations to come up?

kmosesltd

I'm playing through my second playthrough of the main game and I'm having difficulties getting some of the optional conversations to come up. 

I'm currently in the suburbs chapter and I can only get the optional conversation about Henry's past about neighbourhood BBQs to come up. I can't get the ice cream truck convo, the shoot on sight conversation, etc.. 

The day one patch supposedly bugged that area for conversations for some people.  I've only just got to Pittsburgh so hopefully in the next few days I'll be there to see if I have the same issues.  People who've ran into it said they had success with reinstalling without the day one patch. 

Iirc from the original don't you needed to get every conversation to trigger in the Suburbs in order for Ellie to tell her jokes at the end of the area?

I did have one issue. In the main game at least, will play Left Behind tomorrow. I missed one in the financial district (the hanging dude). Legitimately missed, not bugged haha. I went back to it in chapter select, but the prompt wouldn't show up. I tried multiple times, restart checkpoint and all. I tried again on the difficulty I had been playing on (Moderate) and it appeared. Could be a coincidence, or maybe the issue for me was that I initially tried to chapter select on a lower difficulty. Everything else, in-game and trophy tracker-wise, hasn't given me issues.

EDIT: Turns out this actually was a bug as the patch note specifically mentioned this exact optional convo. Neat!

Edited by BrilloHD
  • Like 1

So I had this issue to and restarted the checkpoint and even went out to do the Chapter thing but I couldn't make the joke appear - either Ellie would come down to the Firefly logo and Henry wouldn't - or we would all stand around and no jokes for 10 minutes.  I did manage to solve it - here's what I did (and it was, in my opinion) the order in which you do the conversations to make the jokes pop - also this can still be done if you only have the first couple of conversations complete.

Go to the empty house so Henry tells you about the BBQ's he remembers (make sure all are there - I found he didn't mention the BBQ if I went around back and only he was there before the kids) - convo #1.  Next go across the street and Henry will ask Joel a question about the past - with a conversation prompt (triangle) - convo #2. Go to the ice cream truck - Ellie will ask Joel a question with a conversation prompt - convo #3. Now go directly to the Firefly logo - listen to Henry and once he says it sounds like a plan (convo #4) go directly to the house next to you - you can clear it of all the collectibles and supplies and then throw the dart (convo #5). Go outside the house - wait for everyone to leave the house and be with you.

Once I did that and waited a second - Ellie went right into the jokes - in like 15 seconds - not a long wait. I know she's supposed to tell them at the dead end - but I worked on that for about an hour and she never did - only here. I had the first 3 conversations under my belt when I did it through Chapter select so I went immediately to the logo - then the house for darts and bang. Then I went around and cleared the area of all items and used the workbench before moving on.

Hope that helps.

I got all the conversations to happen finally but like emailking mentioned above, I had Ellie tell me the jokes in front of the Ice Cream truck instead of where the Firefly logo is, in the original game, Ellie tells the joke in front of the logo after you initiate all 5 of the optional conversations. And my conversations were out of order, I had the first two happen, then the dart convo, then the ice cream and finally the logo one and then the joke wasn't told until we went back to the ice cream truck. 

But yea, like the remastered and original game, it seems that the optional conversations in this game is buggy too. 

2 hours ago, kmosesltd said:

I got all the conversations to happen finally but like emailking mentioned above, I had Ellie tell me the jokes in front of the Ice Cream truck instead of where the Firefly logo is, in the original game, Ellie tells the joke in front of the logo after you initiate all 5 of the optional conversations. And my conversations were out of order, I had the first two happen, then the dart convo, then the ice cream and finally the logo one and then the joke wasn't told until we went back to the ice cream truck. 

But yea, like the remastered and original game, it seems that the optional conversations in this game is buggy too. 

It's buggy particularly in replays and NG+ playthroughs from what I have seen.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, emailking said:

I've had her tell the jokes all over the place there (in Remastered) but yeah you have to get all that stuff triggered first before she will.

Well this is apparently not true. On my NG+ playthrough, I couldn't get *any* of the optional conversations in the outdoors Suburbs section to trigger. Yet she told me the joke anyway...in the gutted house at the top of hill. :shrugs:

I've started a run from fresh on main acc (not NG+) and followed Powerpyx's All-in-one guide. No bugged trophies during the last week bar the occasional I missed by oversight and repeated through chapter select. The video also shows approximate locations where to stand and what to interact with.

Done since last weekend with no further game updates unless I missed one, and the only bug I had was when Ellie wouldn't jump on the pallet in the Pittsburgh section prior to the Hotel which was solved by checkpoint restart.

1 hour ago, Valkirye22 said:

Done since last weekend with no further game updates unless I missed one, and the only bug I had was when Ellie wouldn't jump on the pallet in the Pittsburgh section prior to the Hotel which was solved by checkpoint restart.

This seems to be a common bug in the remake. It happened to me twice in that spot, and each time not only would she not get on, but Joel would not move either. All I could do was turn the flashlight on and off, and finally restart checkpoint. And it also happens in the bus depot at 5:18:30 in the first grounded permadeath run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJGFweY8r08&t=19110s

I don't remember it every happening in the PS3 or PS4 versions.