Silly question about the estimated time for Plat

I'm considering starting this game mainly cause there's 2 online trophies and I noticed that 130 hour estimate. Just wondering, is all of that actual gameplay?

Like, I know this isn't really anything at all like MGS4, but I think something like 30 hours of that was literally just doing a 'worst' playthrough, so I was wondering if some of the base building/grinding is just me standing around waiting for stuff to develop or something where I can walk away and do other stuff in the meantime?

Alright, thanks. I'm mostly worried that it'd end up being something like "You've finished 95% of the game but for the last 5% you're going to have to develop these things that take a stupid amount of IRL time to complete".

130 hours is still daunting so I imagine I'll just prioritize the online trophies and take a break from the game every once in a while haha

14 minutes ago, GigaZettaSlow said:

Alright, thanks. I'm mostly worried that it'd end up being something like "You've finished 95% of the game but for the last 5% you're going to have to develop these things that take a stupid amount of IRL time to complete".

130 hours is still daunting so I imagine I'll just prioritize the online trophies and take a break from the game every once in a while haha

One of the online trophies is for building a nuke. Which requires you to finish the first half of the story (Mission 31). I would suggest playing the game while working towards that as it is a great game. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GigaZettaSlow said:

Platinum can be done in about 30 - 40 hours if you have good luck and assuming your experienced, I've done it, but took tonnes of time and planning.

130 hour estimates would be assuming you are likely doing stuff as un-optimally as can be I guess.

Trophy Guides have you doing trophies one by one hence the mega long time, a planned out optimal platinum takes a lot of work in a complex game like this which is why there are no such walkthroughs.

I planned it all out, but by the time it came to writing it all or recording, I was worn out and other games had come along.

Funny thing is that I could get all trophies in about 30-35 hours and the last one I need which can randomly take 1-10hours+ is the DEPLOYMENT trophy believe it or not, as NO trophy guides say anything about this being the last trophy!! it's crazy how things can change sometimes when playing optimally in regards to trophies!!

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Platinum can be done in about 30 - 40 hours if you have good luck and assuming your experienced, I've done it, but took tonnes of time and planning.

130 hour estimates would be assuming you are likely doing stuff as un-optimally as can be I guess.

Trophy Guides have you doing trophies one by one hence the mega long time, a planned out optimal platinum takes a lot of work in a complex game like this which is why there are no such walkthroughs.

I planned it all out, but by the time it came to writing it all or recording, I was worn out and other games had come along.

Funny thing is that I could get all trophies in about 30-35 hours and the last one I need which can randomly take 1-10hours+ is the DEPLOYMENT trophy believe it or not, as NO trophy guides say anything about this being the last trophy!! it's crazy how things can change sometimes when playing optimally in regards to trophies!!

So... video guide when? ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheSlyGCooper said:

So... video guide when? 1f602.png

September 31st ;)

I started it a while back, have only 5 videos up I think xD, but dunno if I will ever revisit as it's a mega time sink and the game is way old now. Kojima games all have mega long Platinums, a 30 hour platinum is still mega long in my eyes.

I actually have no choice but to go back to it as it's still unfinished on my main account, though I was hoping to keep it to livestream if I ever get that set up

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Optinooby said:

September 31st ;)

I started it a while back, have only 5 videos up I think xD, but dunno if I will ever revisit as it's a mega time sink and the game is way old now. Kojima games all have mega long Platinums, a 30 hour platinum is still mega long in my eyes.

I actually have no choice but to go back to it as it's still unfinished on my main account, though I was hoping to keep it to livestream if I ever get that set up

Aw man, I just beat the game and it took me around one week to platinum it.If I'd knew you were making a guide, I would've played something else in the meantime.

• Like 1

Took me 70 hours and I only played the Ground Zeroes on the franchise before. So I did the missions normally, then went for S rank and then for all objectives. If you just want the trophies as fast as possible, do the all objectives first, you should achieve around half of the S ranks. I estimate that if I had done this it would have cut 10-15 hours for me.

10 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Any general hints even without a guide? Saving 90-100 hours (or even just a solid fraction of that) is a pretty big deal. ?

Is it just a matter of being good at multitasking and juggling a bunch of things at once instead of doing things one after another? Or some crazy specific checklist or steps you need to take that requires a ridiculous amount of pre-planning?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GigaZettaSlow said:

Any general hints even without a guide? Saving 90-100 hours (or even just a solid fraction of that) is a pretty big deal. 1f602.png

Is it just a matter of being good at multitasking and juggling a bunch of things at once instead of doing things one after another? Or some crazy specific checklist or steps you need to take that requires a ridiculous amount of pre-planning?

I'll type out tomorrow what I recall mate, I need to sit down and take some time to remember and then to type

48 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

I'll type out tomorrow what I recall mate, I need to sit down and take some time to remember and then to type

All good! No rush and sorry if it sounded pushy or anything like that. I'm likely going to start with Ground Zeroes first anyways so you can absolutely take your time for any sort of tips you recall. ?

1 hour ago, Optinooby said:

I’m interested to know how you managed to do it in 30 hours, my total time played was 186 hours, but then again I wasn’t being particularly diligent with S ranks and mission tasks the first time around, so I had to replay missions more than a few times!

On 2022-09-08 at 11:46 PM, Optinooby said:

Out of curiosity, this you (https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/256231-estimated-time-to-platinum/page/5/#comment-5746616)? Did a quick search for another trophy guides for their time estimate and came across this.

If so, I guess I can try to follow any advice on that, with just the additional question of if you know any of the later patches drastically changed anything since that post was all from all the way back in 2017. ?

On 9/8/2022 at 0:22 PM, TheSlyGCooper said:
On 9/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, Optinooby said:

So... video guide when? 1f602.png

Here you go, I did PS3 in 59 hours right before the servers closed and 43 hours on the PS4 right after.  Not sure how you'd get it down to 30 hours, both of these are current top times on this site.  You're right about the key deployment missions though, make sure you have one of those going at all times.  Good luck!

PS4:

Whole Playlist

1 hour ago, GigaZettaSlow said:

Out of curiosity, this you (https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/256231-estimated-time-to-platinum/page/5/#comment-5746616)? Did a quick search for another trophy guides for their time estimate and came across this.

If so, I guess I can try to follow any advice on that, with just the additional question of if you know any of the later patches drastically changed anything since that post was all from all the way back in 2017. 1f606.png

Yea that's me mate, sorry I actually forgot I said I would come back and post here!! Hopefully I added enough in that old post you found.

1 hour ago, NonGone said:

Here you go, I did PS3 in 59 hours right before the servers closed and 43 hours on the PS4 right after.  Not sure how you'd get it down to 30 hours, both of these are current top times on this site.  You're right about the key deployment missions though, make sure you have one of those going at all times.  Good luck!

PS4:

Whole Playlist

30 hours is perhaps the absolute best if one really really went for it I think I gathered, but that's without the Dispatch Missions trophy, as you know, that can add an extra 2 - 15 hours depending on bad RNG.

I tried a lot of things with savescumming and such to try and cheat the Dispatch Missions but nothing works ;(

That's great you have it all recorded, I try to direct players to your playlist if anybody inquires in the future

11 hours ago, NonGone said:

PS4:

Whole Playlist

9 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Yea that's me mate, sorry I actually forgot I said I would come back and post here!! Hopefully I added enough in that old post you found.

Thanks to both of you. Should be starting Phantom Pain in a day or 2 so I'll start taking a look at everything. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-09-15 at 0:12 PM, NonGone said:

I've following the videos on-and-off (still mostly playing at my own pace and whatnot but generally bring out the playlist for missions) and it's been going well. Thanks.

However, I'm now at the point where FOBs unlocked and suddenly I'm a bit overwhelmed.

So, I don't have PS+. It looks like I won't be able to do Security Challenges and just have to grind random high PF FOBs... and none of them seem to ever have low security. Even if I do finish them, there's that end-of-mission multiplier that just makes no sense to me. I did a fairly quick stealth run of one FOB and got a ridiculous 0.2x multiplier so I only got about 900 Fuel. Then I got caught and took a ton of damage on another one but only got a 0.6x multiplier instead.

I guess I'm wondering if grinding FOBs is still the best way to go (unless/until I learn what's up with that multiplier) since it seems like I'll have to just spend multiple sessions grinding them. But it looks like the alternative is grinding specific single player missions for unrefined resources which would take forever to get refined anyways?

49 minutes ago, GigaZettaSlow said:

I've following the videos on-and-off (still mostly playing at my own pace and whatnot but generally bring out the playlist for missions) and it's been going well. Thanks.

However, I'm now at the point where FOBs unlocked and suddenly I'm a bit overwhelmed.

So, I don't have PS+. It looks like I won't be able to do Security Challenges and just have to grind random high PF FOBs... and none of them seem to ever have low security. Even if I do finish them, there's that end-of-mission multiplier that just makes no sense to me. I did a fairly quick stealth run of one FOB and got a ridiculous 0.2x multiplier so I only got about 900 Fuel. Then I got caught and took a ton of damage on another one but only got a 0.6x multiplier instead.

I guess I'm wondering if grinding FOBs is still the best way to go (unless/until I learn what's up with that multiplier) since it seems like I'll have to just spend multiple sessions grinding them. But it looks like the alternative is grinding specific single player missions for unrefined resources which would take forever to get refined anyways?

That's not the best way to farm, it's just the best INSTANT way!!

1 - There is a best INSTANT way - Quicker for instant resources.

2 - There also is a best DELAYED way - Much quicker if utilised correctly, otherwise will be longer.

If you start farming the DELAYED way as early as possible, then that is the best way as it gets you more!!! It's believed to be longer because if course it takes time to refine the materials, but THAT is why you need to do it soon as. The way it would be ideally is you do it soon as (level 30 I think) for about an hour, then you go and do the rest of the story. Now while doing the story, this materials will be refining in the background as well as between gameplay sessions when your system is off!!! So you won't even notice the delay!!

50000 Materials and 300000 GMP in 4 minute cycles:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/282726-resource-farming-post-110-48850mats-amp-300000gmp-in-4mins/

Like I say though, must be done early. If your endgame and need the materials now, then yea the FOBS will be quicker.

It will depend on the Roadmap you followed and how they advised to do the grinding. From a Platinum Speedrun perspective, I do the single player farming for an hour at the earliest time and that's me done for the game farming wise!!

Thing with single player farming, you already know how it works so you can jump straight in, with the FOBs, it's something else you have to learn to do and so the familiarisation time actually needs adding onto the FOB farming!!

Hope that helps

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

This platinum took me well over 150 hours but that’s due to playing it a leisurely pace. You can definitely cut that down by getting as many s ranks, mission objectives and side quests done during your initial playthrough. Collect and farm as many resources as you can for the nuke and upgrades. Lots of tips and guides already mentioned by others too. 

Other than that, you really won’t be idling at all. So good luck and enjoy the game! 

5 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Ah, gotcha. I noticed in that post of yours that I found earlier that you said to farm a bit after 21 as well so I'm guessing that's for leveling up your FOB to hold more soldiers after you just unlocked it? I still might spend a play session invading FOBs just to level up each unit/platform on my FOB once since I've been having to kick a bunch of people out cause my staff is full. Then I'll go back to the story and do single player grinding after 30 as you've suggested.

How much does your Base Development level matter with the rate of material processing? I've been trying to focus on increase the staff size of that one in hopes that it'll speed things along just a bit but I haven't really been paying attention to how often the processing has been happening. If it doesn't really matter early/mid-game, I'll just start leveling each unit/platform more evenly.

Edited by GigaZettaSlow

1 hour ago, GigaZettaSlow said:

Ah, gotcha. I noticed in that post of yours that I found earlier that you said to farm a bit after 21 as well so I'm guessing that's for leveling up your FOB to hold more soldiers after you just unlocked it? I still might spend a play session invading FOBs just to level up each unit/platform on my FOB once since I've been having to kick a bunch of people out cause my staff is full. Then I'll go back to the story and do single player grinding after 30 as you've suggested.

How much does your Base Development level matter with the rate of material processing? I've been trying to focus on increase the staff size of that one in hopes that it'll speed things along just a bit but I haven't really been paying attention to how often the processing has been happening. If it doesn't really matter early/mid-game, I'll just start leveling each unit/platform more evenly.

I don't remember everything, I remember that particular farming spot well because at the time, everybody was saying that main farming spots were patched and so I took a lot of time testing different things and different spots, and guess it left a mark on my memory more.

I think I did use to farm a little at certain points, but I forget with that exactly. If I did though, I didn't farm too much really until we got to that mission 31 farming spot.

I didn't mean mission 31 did I, and wrote 21 by mistake??

I think somewhere before mission 10, I take 15 mins or so to run around farming the small Refined Materials on the map doing something similar to the main farming route I posted to respawn the materials.

As for FOB levels and such, I remember very little about that, hopefully somebody else will see and provide some info......

Can be a grindy game can't it!! Kojima always makes grindy plats.

Some info I can give that may help out with something later, is don't neglect the skull suits (forget real names)!! The camo one does void S rank iirc so you can't really use those, but the Mist suit doesn't and that one has a very similar effect!! The armor actually comes in useful as well believe it or not!!! 

There is one mission, I think it may be one of or if not, the last one, where you are basically fighting a load of tanks in a small battle area. Now I havent seen anywhere mention how to do that particular one S rank AND all tasks all in one go, basically because you would die too quick trying to do them all at once. But with the Armor suit, you can literally just run around with the tanks shooting at you and take very little damage, that way you can complete it mega quick to get S rank, and also do all tasks!! I actually couldn't believe it when I first tried it and found out how effective the Armor suit is, I think it gets neglected

Above is just an example, but those suits do definitely come in mega handy for S ranks!! For all tasks though, you want to use the Lil Chuck Hat as it makes you 100% invisible (but voids S rank)!

I'm sure you know about the Smoke Grenade + Jeep trick also?? You throw a smoke in a jeep, then drive it and nobody can see you xD

Edited by Optinooby