Bestiarius trophy tips and tricks.

Deadvember

First of all this game is really fun, I had a blast getting the platinium but the DLC trophies are a bit scuffed. All 3 DLC trophies unlock ONLY by playing the Murmillo class and ONLY as 1 player. 
Murmillo also happens to be the hardest person to play as, the other 2 have tigers that'll attack random targets and also stun them so it's easy to hide and let them kill everything when you're low HP. But Murmillo has a shield, which is actually more OP than you might think, so here are a few tips and tricks to beat all 15 waves to get the Bestiarius trophy.

First of all the skill points, you get 1 per wave and 2 per boss.
1st: Weapon upgrade
2/3/4th Armour

5th Shield pushback (1.5sec stun)

6/7th Shield

8/9/10th Weapon
11th Taunt

12th Run
13/14th Critical Strike

15/16 Unbreakable (not sure if this actually helps at all)

Now what you want to do is on the early waves, use the X attack (normal) until they're almost dead and then use L2 + square to get 5% extra crowd xp (yellow power bad) Then when your bar is 100% press R2 to have the crowd throw random food and power ups on the floor (they land in a line and stay there the whole game) You want to try your best to complete each round without collecting any of the power ups unless you absolulity need them and just littler the floor for emergancies at the later rounds.

The running shield attack R2 +  Circle can be used to knock and enemy to the floor and after wave 5 will stun for 1.5 seconds. But what I discovered is if you attack twice XX you can tap circle twice to reset the stun, so you can run bash and enemy, attack twice, stun attack twice and just stun lock everything in the game (including bosses) When I discovered this I got to wave 15 with zero issues and almost never taking damage  

There's a pit to the bottom left that enemies occasionally go near, you can bash them into it if you're careful. Good if you get a boss near it, just push him in the pit. The far bottom left corner behind the pit is a good place to attack enemies one at a time. 

On wave 4 stand on the right of the arena but to the left of the piller before the wave starts, the 4 blue spear throwing guys will come through the door making for an easy run bash (r2 + 0) They take a few seconds before spear spamming, so you can quickly take them out without taking too much damage.

Should be obvious, but only target one guy at a time. If you run into a group of people you'll get stunned locked and get destroyed. You can hide in the bottom left corner and wait for them to walk around until you can single a guy out. Run bash attack twice and run away is a very good tactic for when you don't have time to stun lock them. It might take a bit of practice but these are the best things to do. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hello there, hello Deadvember,

I tried your recommendations for shield bash strategy, but it was just not working for me. Some enemies were very frustrating to pull it off, and group of enemies, like those hoplites/roman pikemen were problematic to come close for bashing.

I can confirm, that playing other two characters (one with pike/halberd like weapon with lion, other with axe and tiger/panther) and winning tournament cannot yield all of those 3 trophies, HOWEVER  I earned 2 of them (Murmilio and Retiarius) playing as Bestiarius.

What finally was working for me, is different approach with Murmilio - aggresive one. I watched one guy on YT, at first I was not believing he can do it with his aggresive playstyle, but he did it - so I took most tips from his game (upgrades, playstyle) and changed what I found better suited for me.

Video from my trophy run, starting from 5. wave (unfortunatelly, 15 minutes was not enough for full run ?):

Edited by Broxym
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Broxym said:

Hello there, hello Deadvember

Yeah the game requires a bit of luck and a bit of skill. I often got cornered and stun locked. But I liked the run/bash strat a lot. 
I probably watched the same youtube video of the guy rolling and backstabbing people but that never worked for me.

The pikemen suck, but if you stand just far away from when they spawn at the start of the round you can run bash all 4 of them and kill them pretty easily. But it did take me a few attempts to learn the positioning. 

It's a fun game, I wish the dlc trophies worked corectly as the tiger classes were pretty fun to play.

Congrats on beating it, it's a very challenging trophy to obtain imo.

I hope my strats and your video help other people in the future, there's not much info out there so the more strats people find the better for everyone.
Hope they make a sequel, can't get enough gladiator games!

Yeah, I think you got other people some solid strategy to try to 100% this game, and I provide other option for straithgforward aggresive gameplay :)

I remmember one Flash game on browser after playing this game, was playing it waaaaay back (10+ years).

Aaaah - Sword and Sandals! :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So playing Murmillo in single player unlocks all 3 trophies, right? Tried to do blind playthrough I got pwned on wave 5. Can't imagine making it to 15 and taking that beefed boss.

Edit: oh boi, it took like about 10+hrs of retries overall but I finally did it! Here's some tips:

- CPU allies spawn on vawes 2 (or was it 3? It's one guy) 7, 11, 14. Half of the times they're friendlies (2/14) & half of the times they're enemies (7/11) that are gonna go against each other if you don't engage. Always use that to get many easy kills from behind. On vawe 7 engage African gladiators with CPU (they're stronger if fought alone) & on vawe 11 assist African gladiators against romans. Just run around to mix them among themselves &attack from behind 

- always try to either kick (risky), or axe-throw bosses into the pit for a 1 hit kill (takes lot of time & circling them, but its worth it. If you run out of axes it's hit & run tactic, after they attack try to run up, hit them once & disengage. Rinse & repeat (good tactics against better equipped roman enemies as well)

- it's a good idea to stay near the pit to kick in some of the more annoying enemies, just watch out as it's easy to fall in yourself

- upgrade armor 1st, then sword, then criticals, then shield. Next on it's run, backstabbing & stamina

- conserve food & stun upgrades given by crowds for the time U need them most

Edited by Kunegunda_GoRyl