Which Upgrade Should I get?

Laikaros

Hello fellow trophy hunters! 

Just like the majority of us, I got to play this game thanks to the Free Challenger Edition through PS Plus. 

I want to 100% the game and I’m only missing the Fire and Darkness trophies which leads me to my question:

There are two upgrade bundles: 

- Upgrade to Ultimate Edition 

- Godfalll Deluxe Update

Which one will grant me Acess to the Fire and Darkness Expansion? In my analysis, I think both of them will, but since there are some price differences, I decided to come here and ask before spending money on the wrong update.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice! 

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2022 at 0:38 AM, Lordguwa said:

i'm not 100% sure but you want the godfall deluxe. ultimate may not work with ps challenger edition.

seems too easy to upgrade for 15$.

I had the same question earlier, as I was in the same boat. After researching it, I think Lordguwa summarized the whole situation well.

The Godfall Challenger Edition Story Upgrade (GCESU) "adds all content included in the Godfall: Deluxe Edition, including the original campaign story content and the Fire & Darkness Expansion." I purchased this. What really stinks is that, despite purchasing all content for the Deluxe Edition, my PSN library still lists Godfall as the Challenger Story Edition. This made me ineligible for the free upgrade to the Ultimate Edition described in another thread in the forums. However, I now have access to the DLC trophies that were unobtainable with Challenger Edition.

If you have the PS Plus Challenger Edition, you can also purchase the Upgrade to Godfall Ultimate Edition, but only AFTER purchasing the GCESU. The Upgrade to Godfall Ultimate Edition requires an additional $15 (currently on sale for $7.50 US) on top of the GCESU purchase price. Besides upgrading the GCESU, the Upgrade to Godfall Ultimate Edition will upgrade both Godfall: Deluxe Edition and Godfall: Ascended Edition. Besides the original campaign story and Fire & Darkness [which you already own if you purchased the GCESU], you will receive the Ascended and Pre-order Cosmetic Packs. So as far as I understand it, once you own the GCESU and purchase the Ultimate Edtion upgrade, you're really only purchasing chrome and gold skins and a "unique multiplayer lobby title". It's up to the player to decide if those skins are worth $15 dollars. If anyone knows differently, please feel free to correct this information. 

• 2 months later...

I just took a £6 risk and bought the "to ultimate" upgrade and skipped the additional (more expensive) story mode upgrade altogether after seeing on the gearbox website "Challenger Edition players can unlock the full game, story content, as well as The Fire & Darkness DLC through the Ultimate Edition." Doing this added an entirely separate license for the full base game (story mode) on PS4 and PS5, the deluxe upgrade, the pre-order content, and the DLC, all listed as optional downloads on the PS5 download screen that appears following a console store purchase. I still have the Plus license for the PS4 and PS5 challenger version on my account, completely separate from this, so 4 different download options on my console under the game title. One owned PS4, one Plus PS4, one owned PS5, one Plus PS5.

So no, you don't need to go Plus challenger > story upgrade > ultimate. You can go straight from Plus challenger to ultimate, and it eliminates the need to be subscribed to Plus to play your purchased DLC (a problem I saw a few people mention earlier in the year) as it adds a full license to the account. You still need Plus to play online, obviously, but the game itself is no longer tied to the subscription.