Have you ever completed a game and realised you’d completely missed a key game mechanic?

PotrikBerger

A friend of mine who doesn't read English played thru Parasite Eve withou knowing about weapon customization. For those of you who have never played it, the system is basically how you become stronger. More than leveling up.

It's no surprise that he found the game extremely hard.

• Like 3

Well this might not be a key game mechanic but on Horizon Forbidden West all throughout the games story i only used the regular bow attacks which weren't very strong, even after for most of the platinum clean up i used only that until later i found some much better bows and arrows i could craft which killed enemies much quicker.......

I just rushed through it (mainly because the story didn't interest me).

• Like 1

There were 2 key game mechanics that I missed in Bloodborne...

One, the rally mechanic that allows you to recover HP if you attack the monster back. Only at the end of the playthrough I realized that that's a thing.

And second, the Blood Bullet mechanic where you replenish 5 bullets with your own health. Had no idea that was a thing until I watched a random playthrough way later after I finished the game and saw a player do that

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, xh117 said:

Being able to shoot while jumping and spinning in jak 2. It's really useful and I only found out towards the end.

It's usually just the one gun too. Jak 2 is probably the 'black sheep' of Naughty Dog's long history of making games. The entire game felt like it catered to your typical emo, goth kid of the 2000s, who was into death metal. Having the dark color palette in contrast to the first Jak & Daxter game was one of many departures the sequel took.

• Like 2

Lol! I’m so glad I’m not alone in this. Some of these are great!

@Copanele not using the mechanic to claw some of your health back in bloodborne is a painful one!

@DrBloodmoney I’ve never played either but can imagine the size of oblivion map

@saiyanbloodstyle I too rushed that game...mainly because Elden Ring was staring me in the face. Pretty much skipped every cut scene including the ending! 

@LastMinuteSavior a good point....probably the reason why this hasn’t happened to me too much in the past!

I don't remember which Final Fantasy, but you could change your party from front row to back row (you are stronger in the front row but also take more damage, and the other way around in the back row), I finished it without knowing you could do that!

I don't remember which game, but it was a RPG with a huge map, and I remember finishing it but complaining about all that time spent walking from city to city and back again. Few years later, I replayed it and discovered they had this magic in the shop which let you teleport to already visited towns...?

Played Horizon Forbidden West 3 times (one time Ultra Nightmare) and never ever used a weapon except the hunters bow. 
Also never used the item box, always gathered new resources. 

Out of my 500 games I played, I am sure there are a lot of games where I just used the bare minimum to get through.

• Like 2

In Bionic Commando, I missed the fact that you can kick-launch grappled objects at enemies. I knew I could grapple and dive-kick stationary objects but I did not realize you could kick off of an object in the air while grappling and launch it at an enemy. Knowing that would have made defeating some if the mechs a lot easier since it leaves you less vulnerable than just standing and throwing things at them.  I did two playthroughs and plat'd the game without ever doing it.

In the arcade game "Stretch", most have played it due to it being an easy platinum, but I did not know there were bombs that cleared the whole screen.

In 2 different games I discovered exploits that made the games 1/10s to platinum.. After completing everything else first... xD

Cult of The Lamb, there is a fast forward option to help alleviate night cycles. I had no idea!

Medievil there are upgrades obtained from statues brought back to life, well I thought each statue gave you one gift, and was pretty confused on why no other statues worked later on near the end of the game (that i started to heavily struggle with). Turns on, the first statue offers multiple gifts, to which only one can be received before the next gift is given.