Have you ever completed a game and realised you’d completely missed a key game mechanic?

PotrikBerger

Playing Digimon World 1 as a kid and not understanding how the digivolution mechanics worked so I played the majority of the game with the green poop monster Numemon and I could not for the life of me figure out why I kept getting him. I didn't have internet at the time so I couldn't look it up. 

Edited by Vulpine9Tails
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

Playing Digimon World 1 as a kid and not understanding how the digivolution mechanics worked so I played the majority of the game with the green poop monster Numemon and I could not for the life of me figure out why I kept getting him. I didn't have internet at the time so I couldn't look it up. 

Personal time travel checklist:

1. Win the lottery.

2. Kill baby Hitler.

3. Help little Vulpine9Tails figure out digivolution.

• Like 2

NFS Undercover is the one i remember the most. I was saving some money to buy a class one car (Aventador) thinking "i'll breeze through the races now", only to find out that the game became a lot harder, literally every car in a low class race was faster than mine and i could not figure out why for a long time. Then i decided to buy a "worse" car (Gallardo) and tunning the thing all the way up, after that the game became a joke, i didn't even need to try anymore. Wish i knew this sonner, it would save me a lot of stress.

Edited by Edusbr
  • Like 1

In Caligula overdose, i just raced through the game on easy for the trophies and ignored all the battle mechanics, such smashing the o button throughout. It was so dated and I got it free on plus, so I just wanted to see the story and get it over with to play the much better rated Caligula 2. 

It was only in Caligula 2 that I enjoyed the game and learned the mechanics, the whole imaginary chain mechanic, counters, triggers, risk breaks, guarding, move categories being divided into shooting, thrust and defence... all of which I ignored in the first game. I also ignored passive skills in overdose

It took me three SIM-Racing games to realize that when you push L3 left or right too hard, the car actually turns less than when you push L3 more gentle in said direction.

This is required to know for beating some of Assetto Corsa Hotlap times. I played Gran Turismo: Sports and Dirt Rally 2.0 before that. 

There is probably a term for it but I don't know it.

Edited by Mori

Got the Bloodborne platinum without realising 1) the limb break system to stun enemies for long periods of time, and 2) didn't know you could parry enemies with your guns to once again knock down enemies for a riposte, and 3) that when you locked on it changed your roll to a little hop which seemed to have like half the amount of i frames. Made the whole thing a lot less enjoyable and probably a whole lot harder. Probably one of the reasons I'd rank it as second worst of the 7 souls games in my opinion. I do want to replay it with this knowledge and see if I enjoy it more cause I love the setting and atmosphere etc! 

6 hours ago, connorbartram said:

Got the Bloodborne platinum without realising 1) the limb break system to stun enemies for long periods of time, and 2) didn't know you could parry enemies with your guns to once again knock down enemies for a riposte, and 3) that when you locked on it changed your roll to a little hop which seemed to have like half the amount of i frames. Made the whole thing a lot less enjoyable and probably a whole lot harder. Probably one of the reasons I'd rank it as second worst of the 7 souls games in my opinion. I do want to replay it with this knowledge and see if I enjoy it more cause I love the setting and atmosphere etc! 

You gotta go back and play. Parrying with gun will make it seem like an entirely different game. One of the most satisfying mechanics I’ve ever experienced!

Edited by PotrikBerger
Autospell

7 hours ago, PotrikBerger said:

You gotta go back and play. Parrying with gun will make it seem like an entirely different game. One of the most satisfying mechanics I’ve ever experienced!

I'm currently playing through DS1 again going through to try and collect every unique item / do everything in the game (so all weapons, armour etc), and might do that for the other souls games, so I will be going back! 

oh lord YES. There are so many games on my trophy list where I ignored or discovered late in the game a mechanic that made the game a whole lot more fun.

The most painful one to me, and is the biggest regret in how I approached gaming, was Asterix & Obelix XXL 2. 

L9eb9cb.png

This game is split between exploring, platforming, and brawling. And for 90% of the game, I was absolutely dreading the brawling. The game sends literally hundreds of enemies at you, all of which have just big enough healthbars to make them annoying to always deal with. And then, during the last level of the game, I finally realized what the fuck the Magic pickups was for; a crowd clearing attack whose sole purpose is to One shot enemies, and is long and powerful enough to deal with up to 50 at a time. I was sludging through these fights for no reason. There was an option at my disposal that I didn't even bother to use because I wasn't even paying attention to anything outside of the trophies. My experience with this otherwise fun game was tainted, and it was all my fault.

19 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Tiger drop combo in Yakuza 4 is essential in breaking tough enemy guards. If it weren't for the trophy list, I would have never bothered to discover or use it.

I forget the name of the move exactly, but it's a counter move that Kiryu has in both Yakuza Kiwami 1 & 2 that deals a ton of damage to enemies. It really saved my ass a number of times during the tougher enemy encounters, although the Amon brothers whom you fight for the final substories were still difficult.

• Like 1