Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (PS4|PS5)

Unforgettable Horror

■What is 「FATAL FRAME / PROJECT ZERO: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse」
「FATAL FRAME / PROJECT ZERO: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse」was released in 2008 for Wii as the fourth title in the series of 「FATAL FRAME / PROJECT ZERO.」Following the remasterization of 「FATAL FRAME / PROJECT ZERO: Maiden of Black Water」, the masterpiece of the 「FATAL FRAME / PROJECT ZERO」series will be brought to life again with upgraded graphics.

■About the Game
「FATAL FRAME / PROJECT ZERO: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse」 is the traditional Japanese horror adventure game. As the girls explore the western-style mansions and abandoned hospitals on Rōgetsu Isle, they will rely on the moonlight and a faint flashlight to search for clues. The story progresses by discovering relics like old newspaper articles and notes that help the girls unravel the island’s secret past. While exploring, the girls will also be confronted by a series of spirits. They will need to use a Fatal Frame franchise classic, the Camera Obscura, to repel vengeful ghosts, sealing away their power by photographing them. Throughout the game, the girls will need to equip stronger lenses and change out different films in order to capture the most powerful spirits, while also using the camera to capture “things that cannot be seen” to help them find the evidence they need to remember their haunting past.

Camera Obscura
An old camera with the ability to repel vengeful ghosts and seal away their power by photographing them.
Equip stronger lenses and change out different films to capture even more powerful photos.

Exploring Rōgetsu Island
Explore the dimly lit Western-style mansions and abandoned hospitals on the island by relying on the moonlight and the faint light of a flashlight.
The story progresses by "touching"places that may call your attention.
From past newspaper articles and notes, you will discover about the past in which abominable incidents happened and unravel the lost memories of the protagonist, and find the truth.

■Features
New Photo Mode

Pose characters and ghosts, place them freely for haunting memories in the newly added photo mode;
Perhaps even take an unexpected spirit photo by accident...

New Costumes
The original lineup of costumes has been slightly altered, and new costumes have been added.
Change the characters' costumes to experience the investigation in different ways.

Improved graphics
This title has improved its graphics for each platform. The rendering of shadows and light of the flashlight has been improved to make it more realistic, so that you can experience a more realistic horror. In addition, in-game movies and character models have been brushed up to make the story and characters more appealing.

4Ykxd86.jpg

Jw2oU9e.jpg

4pl6cJx.jpg

daGwXfZ.jpg

5TJGAwB.jpg

AjH8YCz.jpg

V7NXaEa.jpg

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT
  • Like 2

Hell yeah! 

The last good Fatal Frame is finally being properly released in the west. Sure, I've already pirated it and played it a decade ago, but so nice to see an official port. 

I'll definitely get it. Still don't know about getting 5's port, tho, that one sucks. Maybe if they release Project Zero, Crimson Butterfly and The Tormented for the PS4 I'd be tempted to suffer through 5 again just for completion's sake. 

Also, this is excellent news for veterans but for newcomers this isn't good imo. 

Newcomers are either playing the franchise in reverse order or waiting for P0/CB/TT to be ported first, which will lead to low sales and to the studios to believe that porting the OG trilogy isn't "worth it". 

Anyways, I just hope that one day I will be able to platinum the entire franchise. 

Edited by BlitzkriegHottie

Very nice! I'm glad to see more Fatal Frame games make their way to modern PlayStation consoles, and one that's never been released outside of Japan no less. I imported an Asian physical copy of Maiden of Black Water and will likely do the same with this one assuming it's the same deal this time around. It looks really pretty going off the screenshots in a post above. Much better than I would expect from a Wii game from 2008.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vitis705 said:

Not just Asia, I have an English version, US region I think, physical copy.

The physical edition was never released in EU/USA. But an English version has been released as a physical product for import.

- Japanese Edition with English

- Asian (Hong Kong) Edition with English

- Chinese Edition with English

That's all.

Why Doesn’t Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water Have a Physical Release in North America?

https://www.nintendo.destructoid.com/why-doesnt-fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water-have-a-physical-release-in-north-america/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

The physical edition was never released in EU/USA. But an English version has been released as a physical product for import.

- Japanese Edition with English

- Asian (Hong Kong) Edition with English

- Chinese Edition with English

That's all.

Why Doesn’t Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water Have a Physical Release in North America?

https://www.nintendo.destructoid.com/why-doesnt-fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water-have-a-physical-release-in-north-america/

Ok, that makes sense, I got it from one of my usual suppliers, they must have imported it. I guessed it was a US release at it has 'US$39.99' in the bottom corner of the case but nothing else about regions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Fatal-Frame-Mask-of-the-Lunar-Eclipse_20

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse details setting, characters.

Haunted infirmary and sanatorium set the scene.

Koei Tecmo has released new information, video, and screenshots for the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC versions of Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse introducing the game’s setting and cast of characters.

Get the details below.

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse takes place on a Rogetsu Isle in southern Japan, a decade after five young girls mysteriously disappeared at a moonlight festival. When two of the girls are found dead days apart ten years after the initial vanishing, the remaining three teenagers head back to the haunted island to solve the mystery of their friends’ deaths and their hazy memories, while encountering the frightening spirits that inhabit the land.

Along the way, they will enter the Haibara Infirmary. This old hospital is now in ruins, but is the site where Dr. Haibara’s trials to cure “Moonlight Syndrome” eventually turned deadly. The girls will also return to Rogetsu Hall, a sanatorium built for the treatment of “Moonlight Syndrome.” It’s a hotel-like building attached to Haibara Infirmary where only “special guests” can be admitted. Locals refer to Haibara Infirmary as the “old building” and Rogetsu Hall as the “new building.”

Other important locations to explore include the Cape Tsukiyomi Lighthouse and the Yomotsuki Residence. The closest point to the moon on the island, the lighthouse has special meaning for the residents who worship the moon. An ancient shrine has been relocated to the top of the lighthouse. Meanwhile, the Yomotsuki Residence is the birthplace of one of the missing girls, Ruka Minazuki, and visiting this house brings back a flood of important memories. It’s also the home of Ruka’s father, the venerable mask-maker named Soya Yomotsuki. Soya is obsessed with perfecting the “Mask of the Lunar Eclipse” and has been accused by Ruka’s mother, Sayaka Minazuki, of playing a part in Ruka’s disappearance! To reveal the truth behind their disappearance and the shocking deaths, Ruka and friends will need to fight off ghostly spirits and a wanted murderer on their quest to uncover the secrets of their lost memories.

Alongside the standard version of the game, Koei Tecmo will also release a special Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse OP. Available digitally, this unique edition of the game includes the Rogetsu Isle Dinner Party Costume Set, and a digital art book (original soundtrack included).

In addition, anyone who purchases the digital copy of the game by March 22, 2023 will have the ability to download the early purchase bonus: Ruka Exclusive Costume “Marie Rose Outfit” from the Dead or Alive series. Fans who preorder the game by the release date will also receive a variety of costumes, including the Ruka Limited Edition Costume “Fox Mask” (white/red), the Misaki Limited Edition Costume “Fox Mask” (black / scarlet), the Choshiro Limited Edition Costume “Fox Mask” (black / blue), and the Ruka Misaki, and Choshiro Limited Edition Costume “Spirit Stone Flashlight Hat.” There will even be a special save bonus costume for fans who have already played Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water. Play Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on the same device that has saved data from Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water saved to receive the Save Data Bonus, the “Camera Obscura Hat”.

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is due out for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam on March 9, 2023 worldwide. It first launched for Wii exclusively in Japan on July 31, 2008.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/12/fatal-frame-mask-of-the-lunar-eclipse-for-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc-details-setting-characters

• 3 weeks later...

i'll just wait and see.

TBH playing maiden of black water was not an entirely positive experience for me. Running the same map millions of times, listening to the same machinery noise for hours, score crunching and all the censorships have really turned me off in the end.

Is it just me or the girls look awfully similar to the ones in maiden of black water?

Edited by Maverick6146

• 1 month later...