Gran Turismo movie (David Harbour, Orlando Bloom)

LastMinuteSavior

Edit:

---Original Post---

From Deadline.com:

David Harbour is set to star in Sony Pictures and PlayStation Productions film adaptation of Gran Turismo. Neill Blomkamp is directing from a screenplay written by Jason Hall and Zach Baylan.

Based on a true story, the film is the ultimate wish-fulfillment tale of a teenage Gran Turismo player whose gaming skills won a series of Nissan competitions to become an actual professional race car driver.

PlayStation Productions Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan, Doug Belgrad and Dana Brunetti are producing. Game creator Kazunori Yamauchi and Hall are executive producing.

Expected release date: August 11, 2023

I wasn't even aware they were making this movie. Might be cool though.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 3

@Slava Last I heard he was enjoying the mediterranean sun with Katy Perry.

Dude has LotR + Pirates money, doesn't really need to work ever again ?

This GT movie is reminding me of Driven (2001) where a burnt-out veteran driver (Stallone) was also brought back to mentor a talented newbie.

driven-2001.jpg

The movie was cheesy and the acting was pretty bad, but the action sequences were very fun and pure eye candy (for that time).

06.jpg

I'll be happy if this Gran Turismo movie can at least be a thrilling experience.

I mean... why else would Sony bring in Blomkamp if not to daze us with awesome ultrarealistic visual effects?

I still hope they use real car stunts as much as possible, obviously.

• Like 1

Just now, buckallmighty said:

Dave is hit and miss for me. Loved him in stranger things, cant stand him in anything else ive seen him in. 

Sounds like he misses more than he hits. ?

But you're totally right. Only other place I remember seeing him was Black Widow and that was mostly disappointing.

Wouldn't watch his Hellboy movie even if they paid me.

Lets see how this turns out:

MV5BYzg2NWNhOWItYjA3Yi00MzhhLTg4ZmItYzM3

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Sounds like he misses more than he hits. 1f602.png

But you're totally right. Only other place I remember seeing him was Black Widow and that was mostly disappointing.

Wouldn't watch his Hellboy movie even if they paid me.

He was pretty good in The Newsroom… 

Actually, he was alright in that Hellboy movie…

…everything other thing about that movie was butt-butter… but he wasn’t terrible ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

He was pretty good in The Newsroom… 

Actually, he was alright in that Hellboy movie…

…everything other thing about that movie was butt-butter… but he wasn’t terrible 1f602.png

Is The Newsroom worth watching? Just realized I have that on HBOmax and Aaron Sorkin's dialogue is usually great, but is it interesting?

Concerning Hellboy, the moment I see Milla Jovovich's name in a poster I'm outta there.

It's a shame because she was awesome in The Fifth Element, but ever since she started working with her husband they've only pumped out garbage.

And I actually had fun with Anderson's earlier movies too. Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon and even Alien vs Predator were cheesy but enjoyable.

His Resident Evil movies and such on the other hand, I absolutely can't stand.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Is The Newsroom worth watching? Just realized I have that on HBOmax and Aaron Sorkin's dialogue is usually great, but is it interesting?

I liked it, yeah - I’d place it below The West Wing, but above Sports Night and Studio 60.

It’s an interesting one, as it used real news stories, so in some ways it ages more than most shows, but Sorkin dialogue is sublime, and Jeff Daniels, Sam Waterston and Jane Fonda all have really interesting ways of delivering that kind of fast-paced dialogue.

If you’re a fan of Sorkin, I’d absolutely give it a watch - the second season in particular has a really great season-long arc, that’s genuinely interesting to see how news organisations do long-form investigation… and what happens when they get it wrong!

27 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Concerning Hellboy, the moment I see Milla Jovovich's name in a poster I'm outta there.

It's a shame because she was awesome in The Fifth Element, but ever since she started working with her husband they've only pumped out garbage.

And I actually had fun with Anderson's earlier movies too. Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon and even Alien vs Predator were cheesy but enjoyable.

His Resident Evil movies and such on the other hand, I absolutely can't stand.

yeah - as far as I can tell, Event Horizon was the only one he did I enjoyed!

I did kind of like that movie that Jovovich was in with Ed Norton and Robert DeNiro… can’t remember the name - it was a drama about a prisoner? Not an amazing movie, but she was decent in it…

…I know what you mean about her in her husbands stuff though… yikes!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

I just want a Red Guardian spin off movie or tv show. Is this so much to ask for? Instead we get stuff like Miss Marvel and She-Hulk. Come on.

Best I can do is an emsemble movie. Take it or leave it.

Thunderbolts (2024)

thunderbolts-team-social-feature.jpg

At least they'll have a second change to do a better job with his interactions with Yelena.

A proper Taskmaster would be gold too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Best I can do is an emsemble movie. Take it or leave it.

Thunderbolts (2024)

thunderbolts-team-social-feature.jpg

At least they'll have a second change to do a better job with his interactions with Yelena.

A proper Taskmaster would be gold too.

Wow, I didn't know he would be in Thunderbolts, that's freaking awesome! And Bucky too + US Agent, very nice. Looks like Red Guardian will be meeting Captain America after all, sort of.

David Harbour absolutely killed it with Red Guardian in Widow and was the best part of the movie but sadly they made him a pure joke character. There was not a single scene in the whole movie where he was useful, just comedic relief. Which is a pity imo. He is a trained badass superpowered soldier, I hope they will give him something to do in the new movie other than being a fat incompetent drunk.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Slava said:

The kind of trailer that shows the whole movie 1f601.png.

Yeah. It's usually a bad sign. Says a lot about how confident a studio is (not) about their movie.

Looks like something worth streaming, not paying premium at a theatre.

Blomkamp might not have been the best pick for this. He's great at directing action and working with visual artists, but his creative sensibility in terms of story and characters is very particular and might not be a good match for this movie.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The good thing for the crew of the movie is they picked a good release date where there arent many other movies, so this with TMNT at the same time will be interesting

Hope it doesnt suck, but its funny, movies like this, fast and furious, need for speed, etc, become very popular in here

5 hours ago, Slava said:

59% on rotten tomatoes, 41/100 on Metacritic 1f62c.png.

As of this reply, both websites' critic scores for Gran Turismo are higher than Chappie's (and IMO Chappie was kinda charming) so maybe it's not THAT bad?

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dry said:

As of this reply, both websites' critic scores for Gran Turismo are higher than Chappie's (and IMO Chappie was kinda charming) so maybe it's not THAT bad?

Haven't seen Chappie. 

Some negative reviews basically called GT a 2 hour advertisement. Maybe the target audience will not care about that. Haven't looked at many positive ones yet. 

The audience score for Uncharted movie was different from the critics' average, maybe we can expect the same here.

• Like 1