Arcade Archives : Wish list?

You

Not sure how many old skool arcade game players there are out there, but what games are you hoping will appear in the future?

I don't know about anyone else but considering there has been a slow trickle of games being released starting from about 2015 or so, even after 7 years, honestly feels like we've only just scratched the surface on re-releasing old arcade games. Honestly, probably never going to finish at this rate... Like 1, or 2 games every week or two, just seems really slow.

I recently just bought an arcade joystick, so lately I am even more into Arcade Archives than ever before, and have been going back to play games I already got 100% on recently.

I guess I'll start. Well for me, this could quite easily turn into a novel.

Thankfully, the game I wanted the most that never got a release back in the day, Konami's Crime Fighters, luckily that got released a year or two ago, howeverthere's still about 50 games I want to see and would buy them this instant if they were around. (Please tell me if something on this list is available somewhere)

Anyway, so let me start:

Technos WWF WRESTLEFEST! Not only the best wrestling game ever made but also when wrestling was probably at its peak. Although there's no Undertaker or Bret Hart, probably the best wrestler lineup in any game, WWF Superstars I also would not say no.

-----

Capcom : The obvious ones, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, The Punisher, Alien VS Predator, arguably Capcom's 3 best scrolling beat-em-ups and all of them unreleased. Would also like another release of both Dungeon and Dragons on PS4, sure i have them on PS3, but when my PS3 dies....

-----

Konami : I'll take pretty much any game from 1990-1995, some have been released, TMNT Cowabunga collection was recent, and Sunset Riders came last year, would like a rerelease of the PS3 releases of X-Men and The Simpsons on PS4. More games that I have sort of, but won't once my PS3 dies.

The Main Event, Rock N Rage. Cows Of Moo Mesa, Aliens. Too many great games. Then there's all the wacky shooters, Paradious, Fantastic Journey.

----

Taito : WTF Taito! How can this company be literally sat selfishly on so many classics for so many centuries

I have noticed in recent months a fair few games being released by Taito so there is hope.

So where do I begin, for starters, immediately bring out the Bubble Bobble style/Related/ Platform games.
Off the top of my head

The New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Symphony, Bubble Memories.

Many other awesome games I'd love to see, like Ninja Kids, Growl, Space Gun, Elevator Action Returns.

------

DataEast:

We recently got a few games, like Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja and Crude busters, but still many more.

Robocop, Robocop 2, Sly Spy Secret Agent, Crime City, Captain America and the Avengers, a whole ton of Data East games that we still can't buy.

------

SNK :

The non Neo Geo stuff, Gang Wars, Street Smart, Prehistoric Isle etc (Have them on PSP/Vita already but would like a PS4 rerelease)

------

Tad Corporation:

Cabal, Toki and Blood Brothers. Absolutely and especially Cabal, probably my 4th or so fave arcade game, why haven't these games been released yet?

------

Sega : Another company with, where do I even start?

I already have the original Wonderboy (Why is this a Japanese only Arcade Archives?) but I would love to have Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III in Monster World I think the name is, nothing to do with the home versions of Monster Land. Moonwalker, another awesome game.

Also of course Golden Axe, Altered Beast arcade, yes, those PS3 versions need to be on PS4 as well.

Biggest games I want from Sega are Golden Axe Revenge Of Death Adder, arguably the best Sega arcade game, also never released on anything.

And then there's the fantastic, SpiderMan The Arcade Game as well.

In Sega's library I think I would go a bit crazy, as there are about 20 games I want to buy from Sega. I'd definitely dip into various 8 bit games they made.

Other games from random developers, Gauntlet, Toobin', Combatribes, Ninja Baseball man, DJ Boy, Pang, Super Pang, Pang 3, and many more games, I will probably remember the moment I post this topic

Anyone remember "Risky Challenge" ? Probably the most obscure arcade game, a cross between Tetris and Lemmings. Pretty innovative for its time.

Not just new games though, but there are quite a few really old games missing too, does anyone remember Mr Do? Or Ladybug....

Honestly though, makes me just want to give up waiting, and just get one of those Pandora's box, where like most of the world have been playing all these games for years anyway.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 4

I grew up mostly with Namco arcade games through the museum games on the PS1, and after a quick skim of the master list of Arcade Archives it seems they've been doing a pretty good job of including the big hitters. There's a few I'd like to see such as Toy Pop, Grobda, Bosconian, Galaxian (How could they skip Galaxian?!) and Pac-Mania, as well as the newer Pac-Man Arrangement, Galaga Arrangement, and Dig-Dug Arrangement, but those are just a pipe dream. Honestly my biggest wish would be for the individual games to not be so expensive lol, there's a bunch I would like to buy but for $8 each that's pretty steep! Does anyone know if they ever go on sale?

BTW, I also remember Mr. Do. That's actually one of the few games in your post I recognize. :D As a kid I could never understand how they could rip off Dig Dug so blatantly and get away with it. But I did enjoy playing it at the arcade on the cocktail table.

Edited by Empovyle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Empovyle said:

I grew up mostly with Namco arcade games through the museum games on the PS1, and after a quick skim of the master list of Arcade Archives it seems they've been doing a pretty good job of including the big hitters. There's a few I'd like to see such as Toy Pop, Grobda, Bosconian, Galaxian (How could they skip Galaxian?!) and Pac-Mania, as well as the newer Pac-Man Arrangement, Galaga Arrangement, and Dig-Dug Arrangement, but those are just a pipe dream. Honestly my biggest wish would be for the individual games to not be so expensive lol, there's a bunch I would like to buy but for $8 each that's pretty steep! Does anyone know if they ever go on sale?

There are very rarely some sales, but yeah mostly never. It is weird actually that some Namco games like Dig Dug and Pac Man are here because Namco released those games themselves on PS4 a few years earlier.

I dunno honestly if $8 is expensive. There's two ways of looking at it I guess, for one, there are so many games that are cheaper, not just talking about shit EZPZ games but I have bought several games like Dead Island Collection on PS4, two games for about 4 dollars. some games eventually get so cheap.

Trophy number wise and game length wise, yeah I would agree that you aren't getting good value for me.

For me personally, I live in Japan now, but when I lived in the UK I bought about 17 arcade games, ranging from I think first starting in 1994 until about 2003.

The first game I bought then in 1994, was the 4 player JAMMA Board of Konami's classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for 60 pounds (80 dollars ish?)

I also back then had to fork out for a new Sony Triniton TV that supported a Scart Lead, a Super Gun Deluxe (a system that allows you to play arcade games on a standard TV) and 4 adapted controllers. So I had to pay about 600 dollars. Each game I bought after that was almost always at least 70 dollars. When I bought Golden Axe Revenge Of Death Adder in 1997 it cost me 120 pounds which is about 150 dollars, much more than if you count for inflation. Of course back Neo Geo was just as expensive, playing games like that in the 90s, waaaaayyy before emulators and MAME was a thing. It was expensive but for me a great deal. I mean I completed Turtles at least 300 times in total over a decade.

And since last week I managed to buy the TMNT Cowabunga collection and have both Turtles arcade games available to play again. Which I think is about 40 dollars to buy but before I paid about 200 dollars, just for those two games once upon a time.

So yeah, if you just want to buy an Arcade game and spend the 10 minutes or so to get the trophies and then probably not bother playing it again. It is indeed not worth the money. Game length and trophy, not a great deal.

But if you're like me and like completing these 30 minute long games from start to finish over and over again.

8 dollars to me seems like an absolute steal in comparison to the 10 times or more I was paying back in the 90s or early 2000s. Sure though there are many games on Arcade Archives that I wouldn't mind having, some of the shooting games for example. I am not buying those because yeah, maybe a bit too pricey.

But for many of the scrolling beat-em-ups, either buying the JAMMA boards or the 8 dollars it will probably cost you to complete it in one sitting, if you found it in an arcade somewhere. (And you don't get to keep it when you finish it)

I think 8 dollars is a good deal. An absolute steal!!! lol

For me anyway. It's certainly for me a better deal than buying 8-10 EZPZ plats for 8 dollars in total, of which those games will be played for 10 minutes each, and once, and instantly deleted and instantly forgotten about soon afterwards.

Depends on what games you want to play.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

--

You're right. It all depends on the way you look at it. For me personally I still have access to the arcade games through compilations so it's more of a novelty to get them again on PSN. That's mostly why I see it as a bit steep of a price point. There's probably like 20-25 games in total I would be willing to buy so that would add up really fast.

On the topic of the ezpz comparison, I wish they didn't have such easy trophy lists so they had some more acquired replayability factor. When I would play I'd always jump around between games since I was just a bored kid looking for new things to try, but if there was a big challenge to achieve for each one I definitely would be playing for hours upon hours to get good. After all these games were NOT designed to be easy, so they definitely deserve better lists, imo.

And yeah, depending on how many quarters you used to put in those machines it would be considered a steal for $8! God knows how much money I gave to Galaga back in the day. Probably an obscene amount. For the RPG/beat-em-up/sidescroller games I bet the average player would have spent even more.

Edited by Empovyle
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Many other awesome games I'd love to see, like Ninja Kids, Growl, Space Gun, Elevator Action Returns.

Elevator Action Returns is one of my favorites. I am glad it's in the Taito Egret II Mini, but if they release it for PS4, I'll buy. Taito has been too quiet lately in arcades. Most original NesicaXLive arcade games are from 3rd parties. Unfortunately, we'll likely never see ports of their good racing game Battle Gear 4 because of all the licensed cars.

I think the Tetris Company should grant a Tetris Guidelines exception to Arika's The Grand Master series so there could be console releases. TGM3 Terror Instinct would likely sell. TGM2 The Absolute Plus almost made it to PS2 but something came up that killed the deal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Empovyle said:

You're right. It all depends on the way you look at it. For me personally I still have access to the arcade games through compilations so it's more of a novelty to get them again on PSN. That's mostly why I see it as a bit steep of a price point. There's probably like 20-25 games in total I would be willing to buy so that would add up really fast.

On the topic of the ezpz comparison, I wish they didn't have such easy trophy lists so they had some more acquired replayability factor. When I would play I'd always jump around between games since I was just a bored kid looking for new things to try, but if there was a big challenge to achieve for each one I definitely would be playing for hours upon hours to get good. After all these games were NOT designed to be easy, so they definitely deserve better lists, imo.

And yeah, depending on how many quarters you used to put in those machines it would be considered a steal for $8! God knows how much money I gave to Galaga back in the day. Probably an obscene amount. For the RPG/beat-em-up/sidescroller games I bet the average player would have spent even more.

I agree.

Oh, and arguably the worst thing about the Arcade Archives is like you say, the trophies are just very generic. And no special trophy icons either. For me of course just having the games at all is my motivation.

On the plus side at least they are for the most part easy, it would be worse I think if they all had super difficult requirements and no save states. I think very little effort goes into testing these games, for the most part they are easy but some have been very hard indeed. There are some good challenges in some of them, by mistake unfortunately.

I think Joy Joy kid / Puzzled was the hardest, you basically have to complete the game almost twice and back up your save to the cloud between stages because Tetris blocks were random but only randomised once at the beginning of the stage. In order words if you get a bad roll of the dice, it could be practically be impossible to do the next level.

Other games have stupidly high score requirements, but depending on the game, when you continue you might lose your score, or you might keep it, if you get to keep it then well, you can complete the entire game easily, god mode basically.

I can't remember which game, one game, Mutation Nation I think it was or maybe POW. Well it had a ridiculously hard high score trophy and you lose your score each time you continued, and you needed something like a million points, BUT.........you got exactly 1 million points for completing the game....so in the end you didn't even need to bother save scumming.

King Of The Monsters 2 and Gradius III were also practically unfair games, the game pretty much cheats on you, so thankgod for save states is all I can say.

I think the biggest disappointment for me is that the Arcade Archives engine doesn't have online play built in. Which is honestly a shame, emulation is not usually good with old games over a network, because of the way they were made and require instant input at all times, but still, not having any at all is quite a shame. Especially since drop in and drop out coop was brought back for the Turtles Shredder's Revenge and it was perfect, just like being in a real arcade, playing for a bit in the middle of someone's game, and then leaving when you died. Kawaks was able to do this as far as 2002 so really, not excuse for not having online as an option in these games.

A few niggles on some of the older games, I am still kinda annoyed with Double Dragon, that game is so early, you can't even stretch the screen to fill your TV and it plays in a smaller square window, and in Bubble Bobble you can't remove the background border (for some reason).

3 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Elevator Action Returns is one of my favorites. I am glad it's in the Taito Egret II Mini, but if they release it for PS4, I'll buy. Taito has been too quiet lately in arcades. Most original NesicaXLive arcade games are from 3rd parties. Unfortunately, we'll likely never see ports of their good racing game Battle Gear 4 because of all the licensed cars.

I think the Tetris Company should grant a Tetris Guidelines exception to Arika's The Grand Master series so there could be console releases. TGM3 Terror Instinct would likely sell. TGM2 The Absolute Plus almost made it to PS2 but something came up that killed the deal.

There should definitely be some sort of old licence waver on arcade games less than 20 years / or games out of print.

I really like the old Popeye game from 1982 and Taito also made a really obscure Super Man scrolling beat-em-up where you are in the air, and it's 2 player coop, so, just a random 2 Super Man characters on the screen, exclusive licenses honestly ruin a whole ton of games. Even the rereleased TMNT collection has a rerecording of the TMNT cartoon theme on the intro sequence (for some unknown reason)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I remember getting insanely excited when Time Pilot made it. 

There are still many untouched Konami ones I would love to have. 

Oh man, Time Pilot is a game I almost get around to buying.

I used to be a big fan of Dr Destructo during my childhood, you ever heard of it? (my 2nd favourite game on the CPC464)

I mean it's basically Time Pilot, but single screen, and coop and the planes fall onto a ship and the objective is to sink the ship. You have to be quick as there are 7 in game days to complete the game, goes from day to night.

Shame this game never got a rerelease/ remake

Edited by enaysoft

On 9/14/2022 at 9:45 PM, enaysoft said:

I agree.

Oh, and arguably the worst thing about the Arcade Archives is like you say, the trophies are just very generic. And no special trophy icons either. For me of course just having the games at all is my motivation.

I would say this but thankfully Atari Flashback Vol 2 & 3, Capcom Arcade Stadium 1 & 2, Turrican Flashback, Castlevania, Sonic Origins and TMNT Cowabunga collections….. all I haven’t done, all have their own trophy lists. Granted three of the seven collections here aren’t even Arcade technically, but for the time being these are the retro collections aside from the Arcade Archives that I haven’t done. 

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

If they ever had a sale on these game that was any good i'd buy a butt load of them.  $7.99 isn't bad but I want them all so I can do all of them on my list.  that would add up to too much money. They keep coming out with them too so it's a never ending money pit.  I've bought some of my favorite ones from games I played as a kid and just did those.  I think they could market these better like come out with a price for all Arcade Archive games and future releases.  129.99 gives you access to all of them or something similar.   IDK maybe less maybe more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 8:54 AM, steel6burgh said:

If they ever had a sale on these game that was any good i'd buy a butt load of them.  $7.99 isn't bad but I want them all so I can do all of them on my list.  that would add up to too much money. They keep coming out with them too so it's a never ending money pit.  I've bought some of my favorite ones from games I played as a kid and just did those.  I think they could market these better like come out with a price for all Arcade Archive games and future releases.  129.99 gives you access to all of them or something similar.   IDK maybe less maybe more.

Neocarleen just posted here but

Incredibly some games on at half price. Shame I recently already bought The Ninja Warriors, but Puzzle Bobble at half price, man that is a fucking steal! Awesome game, I would recommend it :)

I don't have 4 of those games, not sure if I want them but still, will definitely have a quick look on youtube later and double check anyway.

[edit] Nope the other 4 games are just a bit too old/obscure for me. lol

(PS Ninja Warriors is pretty challenging)

Aca Neogeo Puzzle Bobble    €3.49    50%    ??    1/10    0.2 – 1   
Arcade Archives Front Line    €3.49    50%    ??    1/10    0.2 – 1   
Arcade Archives Pirate Pete    €3.49    50%    ??    ??    ??   
Arcade Archives The Ninja Warriors    €3.49    50%    ??    1/10    0.2 – 1   
Arcade Archives Time Tunnel    €3.49    50%    ??    1/10    0.2 – 1   
Arcade Archives Typhoon GAL    €3.49    50%    ??    ??    ?? 

Edited by enaysoft

• 3 weeks later...

YEEAAAAHHH!!! Finally Ordyne is coming to Arcade Archives! I love this game, sort of like a cross between Sega's Fantasy Zone and Capcom's Fogotten Worlds.

Day 1 for me this game! :D

https://mobile.twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/1580532268006678528

3 hours ago, DeadDexterous said:

Anyway...

I've always been curious, what was it like for you going to the Arcades back in the day?

How much time & money would you spend in them?

Any interesting stories or moments? Legendary high scores or just beating an absolute pain of a game?

I won't reply back unless there's a question but I'd enjoy reading any replies.

Man I could write a novel about my childhood in the arcades, roaming around Amusement Arcades, a whole of them whether it's on some Pier or Promenade, from BlackPool, Skegness, or Bridlington to Great Yarmouth.

Even if I had no money, I would happily just walk around and watch other people playing, playing anything really. And then when nobody was playing anything I would watch the rolling demos or attract mode as they usually called. Attract mode is a forgotten art these days. Like a sort of trailer for the game, to make you think "Omg this game looks amazing, I want to have a go"

The early 90s were a different time, I mean I remember going to Great Yarmouth every year, the year that Bubble Bobble and Dragon Dragon I was honestly devastated. I went home and cried.

I mean back then there were no magazines for arcades and no MAME, and no Internet, like if an arcade sold a game, there was a real possibility that you'd never ever see it again, and like in the UK specifically. I would love to have bought some Dragon Dragon memorabilia. The soundtrack on cassette tape, just even a book or brochure with screenshots of the game, seeing a let's play on VHS.

Nope, nothing.

You'd often have a home arcade conversion on some 8 bit system or home computer and they would never be as good as the coin op, we'd yearn for the arcade experience and back then. It was though these games had been lost forever. The graphics and sound and music on these games were of course the best in the world at the time. The arcade experience was absolutely king, anything else was just an imitation.

Fast forward to today where you can pretty much play MAME on everything and nobody really cares all that much about them.

I do miss the arcade experience, I remember once I was playing TMNT on my own as Raphael and some other kids came, 3 of them and they were like, "Hey you want you help?" and I'm like "Sure, please help, I do need a hand" and suddenly all these kids are cramming in money and now suddenly there's more enemies on screen and more fun. And these kids, they're like your best friends for that moment, I am staying away from bosses so I don't love my lives and can keep my credit going.

This happened on The Simpsons too. I got to see a whole ton of game endings on other people playing. It was honestly a different era, probably one that can never be replicated. Playing well was crucial because it cost money. Skill rewarded longer play, if you were shit, then well it felt like you wasted your money.

I have a ton of memories of games I never even played, like watching people play Street Fighter I (yes one, the first one), Yie Ar Kung Fu and Kung Fu Master. I just remember thinking, wow one day someone is gonna beat Kung Fu Master and Street Fighter. I never saw anyone complete those games, but I was basically watching a "Let's play" but in the late 80s and early 90s. 10 year old me was so excited. I'd spend like all day everyday in the arcades, my parents thankfully let me.

Due to the trauma of old games vanishing, from about 1994 or so, when I got older I started buying the original JAMMA boards. Like TMNT, and Wrestlefest and Knights Of The Round. I still have 18 of them in England, god knows if they even work after having being switched off for 13 years. Most I have now on Arcade Archives and some even on Vita thanks for SNK Playmore and other Arcade collections.

Now I have an arcade stick for my PS4 I have been going through my backlog and playing a whole ton of arcade games. I'm biased because I the nostalgia of course but 5 dollars per game seems a steal to me. Some of the shite though is definitely not worth it admittedly. I will definitely go back to many of these games once I have the trophies. Which can't be said for 98% of actual PS3, PS4, Vita games that I have platinum on. I think length is the key, I wish a lot of new games had 30 minute repeatable experiences. I can't say I don't enjoy 100 hour games that have EXP and grindable things in them, but they are so long I end up just thinking, yup, once is enough.

But yeah as a kid, I would put 1 credit in a game, see how far I could get. It was a waste of money to continue. You could play longer if you started again from the beginning doing the easy bit again right? So over the years I managed to get that little bit further, managing to ace the earlier parts of the game, until eventually I could complete game, and in one credit. I managed to 1 credit clear a ton of games. A few off the top of my head.

Double Dragon

Cabal

Crime Fighters

Crime Fighters was so cool that if you managed to complete the game twice, it would unlock infinite credits, which was always the first game I would play at 10am when the nearby arcade opened. That way I could come back to it for the rest of the day and play it for free, before the inevitable closing time at 9pm and the machines all being shut off.

I also remember watching the doughnut lady (quite literally the lady who worked in a doughnut stand nearby the arcade) playing The New Zealand Story and using a glitch in the game that allowed you teleport back a few levels. This allowed to not only get high scores but play the game forever, so usually on my last 10p I would just play that for hours.

On the attract mode of The New Zealand Story if you press shoot button during the ingame demo, a picture of a bear waving at you would pop up on screen. Which I discovered accidentally once because it was just nice to move the joystick and press buttons even when you hadn't put any money in yet.

This could also be done on another Taito game called Football Champ, which to this day I still have no idea how to do. You just sort of spin the joysticks and mash the buttons for about 10 seconds and it sometimes appears in the bottom corner (a lot smaller than on The New Zealand story")

Bubble also has codes you can input, you input before you insert money. Honestly, it was in those days you had no idea what cool stuff these games had hidden away and when someone opened the cabinet to dislodge a coin that had got stuck and you saw inside for a brief moment.

Honestly, such memorable moments, the likes of which we will never see again. Sure these days we can play with random strangers online, but there was something about playing with random kids in actual surroundings, and nobody cared about germs and having to wear masks. Probably my favourite memories as a child, especially since 2 weeks on holiday meant that I was playing these games during weekdays where all my friends were in school. lol

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

After The New Zealand Story. We have Don Doko Don!!! It's finally coming!

Hopefully Rainbow Islands and Bubble Symphony aren't far off!!!

Loved Rainbow Islands, particularly when I realized how to get the secret rooms and power ups. In those days I'd smoke a load of weed and play Rainbow Islands on the Amiga, a perfect port.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Loved Rainbow Islands, particularly when I realized how to get the secret rooms and power ups. In those days I'd smoke a load of weed and play Rainbow Islands on the Amiga, a perfect port.

I love Rainbow Islands too, not as good as Bubble Bobble, but single player wise and if you're on your own, Rainbow Islands or The New Zealand Story? It's only a tough choice for which is Taito's best arcade platformer.

I really enjoyed the Amiga version, it's a very great port, up till that point I played on the equally decent CPC464 port.

However the Playstation 1 collection (first game I ever bought on my Playstation) was even better than even the Amiga.

Sadly all of them though aren't as good as the original because they are completely missing the 3 secret islands. (Which basically means a third of the game has been cut)

This also doesn't means the "Plus" game version is also missing. So the second variation of all 10 islands is missing as well (Which only seems to be present on the rare Genesis/Megadrive) version.

Also, the Playstation version has slightly different music, it seems Taito lost the licence to the "Over The Rainbow" music theme.

Edited by enaysoft

22 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I love Rainbow Islands too, not as good as Bubble Bobble, but single player wise and if you're on your own, Rainbow Islands or The New Zealand Story? It's only a tough choice for which is Taito's best arcade platformer.

I really enjoyed the Amiga version, it's a very great port, up till that point I played on the equally decent CPC464 port.

However the Playstation 1 collection (first game I ever bought on my Playstation) was even better than even the Amiga.

Sadly all of them though aren't as good as the original because they are completely missing the 3 secret islands. (Which basically means a third of the game has been cut)

This also doesn't means the "Plus" game version is also missing. So the second variation of all 10 islands is missing as well (Which only seems to be present on the rare Genesis/Megadrive) version.

Also, the Playstation version has slightly different music, it seems Taito lost the licence to the "Over The Rainbow" music theme.

The music is so addictive as is Bubble Bobbles. I also have Rainbow islands and Parasol Stars on PC Engine, I love the PC engine to bits to be honest and in my opinion was the Arcade machine (Apart from Neo Geo) at the time.

• Like 1

Parasol Stars on the Amiga is likely the best version, since there isn't an arcade version. Great conversion from the PC Engine that one.

Man, I hope Rainbow Islands, Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories come out soon. Almost running out of Taito games to bring out, those games must be on the horizon soon. Fingers crossed :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

Parasol Stars on the Amiga is likely the best version, since there isn't an arcade version. Great conversion from the PC Engine that one.

Man, I hope Rainbow Islands, Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories come out soon. Almost running out of Taito games to bring out, those games must be on the horizon soon. Fingers crossed :)

enaysoft, It seems like you are the real deal for such topics and share similar thoughts. Not putting down others, we weren't all here for that part of gaming history.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Tetris TGM 2 The Absolute Plus has already been fulfilled. It'll be here on 1 June. Not much of a surprise to see it coming, but I'm glad. TGM 3 is likely just a matter of time... TGM 2 will probably sell loads, so Hamster and Arika may well probably be eager to recapture that magic one more time with 3.

I just picked up Rolling Thunder 2 from PSN today. Namco is on a roll here. I'd guess we're going to see Burning Force and Splatterhouse sometime. They ought to bring out some of their gun and driving games such as Lucky & Wild, Steel Gunner, and Final Lap 3... maybe even a Time Crisis collection with a Guncon 4.

Konami's Violent Storm is another excellent beat-em-up, with an original IP rather than the usual license. It parodies a post-apocalyptic setting. I'd take it over TMNT, The Simpsons, or X-Men any day. Crime Fighters and Vendetta aren't worthy to stand in VS's shadow. It's the last one of this genre they released for arcades, but did they ever go out with a bang.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I just picked up Rolling Thunder 2 from PSN today. Namco is on a roll here. I'd guess we're going to see Burning Force and Splatterhouse sometime. They ought to bring out some of their gun and driving games such as Lucky & Wild, Steel Gunner, and Final Lap 3... maybe even a Time Crisis collection with a Guncon 4.

Oh yes, I was waiting for this day too. Now that Rolling Thunder 2 is out I can finally pick up Rolling Thunder 1 and go through them together.

I was talking to AJRadio the other day and he said it was a shame games like Narc aren't on Hamster yet. Sadly I think Hamster is (for the moment) Japanese only games, I'd love to see a whole ton of games from Atari and Midway, like Pit Fighter, Toobin', Rampage. I don't think they will be on Hamster anytime soon, likely those companies will have to make their own releases.

I'd love to see some of Namco's racing games, I'd pick up Ridge Racer 1, Ridge Racer 2, Skud Racer etc in a flash if they were on sale.

15 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Konami's Violent Storm is another excellent beat-em-up, with an original IP rather than the usual license. It parodies a post-apocalyptic setting. I'd take it over TMNT, The Simpsons, or X-Men any day. Crime Fighters and Vendetta aren't worthy to stand in VS's shadow. It's the last one of this genre they released for arcades, but did they ever go out with a bang.

I'm not soooo keen on Violent Storm. It's a good game but compared to Vendetta and especially Crime Fighters, it feels like a different franchise somehow. Maybe it's an aquired taste but I think Crime Fighters is the best out of the three, and I think it has the best arcade game OST out of any game (only being surpassed by Streets Of Rage on console)

Crime Fighters is quite clunky if you just run into the enemies but it's quite technical and with the correct setup and tactics, it's quite like Dark Souls studying the best way of hitting enemies.

I know it's a cliche to say stuff that, but still, I think Crime Fighters is an underrated game. Vendetta is weird, it improves on Crime Fighters in every possible, except perhaps on the music, which is pretty lacklustre, and somehow the whole thing (to me anyway) doesn't seem as memorable. Maybe it's because boss rush doesn't have all bosses on screen at the same time.

It sucks I have The Simpsons and X-Men already but they are on PS3 and will die along with my PS3 whenever that might be.

A couple games that come to mind without a license attached:

Rabbit: a fighting game like JoJo's Bizarre adventure from Capcom. E.A. published the game in Japan.

Ring King: 2 player boxing game by Data East.

Astra Superstars: Fighting game that kind of works like Waku Waku 7.

Martial Masters: Fighting game by Irem. It's currently part of the recently released IREM Collection on Switch. I haven't heard any plans to port that same game to PS.

Kaiser Knuckle (Global Champion in the west): a fighting known for it's brutal final boss named "General" who looks like an M.Bison copy. A Taito game.

Pole Position: An F-1 arcade racer by Namco.

• Like 1