Warning: Ship trading mini-game can erase money

I couldn't find this anywhere in the guide or in the forum threads so I thought i'd post this here - be really careful if you are working on making money through the ship trading mini-game while you complete story and side missions. If you are early on in the game and aren't aware yet, this mini-game will generally be used to make enough money quickly to be able to buy all of the pocket watches needed for the 'One Watch is not enough' trophy. (you need over 150k gold for this). But the issue is as follows:

If you have ships in transit and you decide to restart a mission checkpoint or you fail a mission - it will completely reset your ships back to their starting position and erase all of the money you put into their cargo. I just lost about 50k gold because I was doing a mission and failed it. I got back to my base - all ships had reset and all of the money had vanished. 

Edit - It's possible it doesn't happen 100% of the time. So, up to you if you want to take the risk I guess! For extra context, i'm playing it on a PS5, so, not sure if that is a potential factor.

Edited by Buff_Cupcake

1 minute ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

I platted this game twice and I never had this problem. I'm sure I failed missions too.

Congrats! Happy you didn't have a problem.

It's possible it doesn't happen 100% of the time. I found a few other threads elsewhere where people have had the same issue, so, it is what it is.

Just now, Buff_Cupcake said:

Congrats! Happy you didn't have a problem.

It's possible it doesn't happen 100% of the time. I found a few other threads elsewhere where people have had the same issue, so, it is what it is.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just the first time i hear of it is all. Sounds like an annoying af thing.

Just now, JAK-KRIEG said:

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just the first time i hear of it is all. Sounds like an annoying af thing.

I edited the post to include that it isn't affecting everyone, I'm playing from a PS5 and it's not the only issue i've had with it (quite a few general crashes and lock-ups) so it could be related to that too.

Just now, Buff_Cupcake said:

I edited the post to include that it isn't affecting everyone, I'm playing from a PS5 and it's not the only issue i've had with it (quite a few general crashes and lock-ups) so it could be related to that too.

There are certain games that can behave odd on the ps5 I read.

4 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

It did feel unstable on PS5. I think the best thing to do would be play on PS4 if possible

That's a really good idea, I think I might switch over in a bit. Man it's so weird, AC3 had zero issues whatsoever on the PS5 but Liberation is crapping itself pretty regularly.

• 2 months later...
On 17/09/2022 at 6:07 PM, Buff_Cupcake said:

I couldn't find this anywhere in the guide or in the forum threads so I thought i'd post this here - be really careful if you are working on making money through the ship trading mini-game while you complete story and side missions. If you are early on in the game and aren't aware yet, this mini-game will generally be used to make enough money quickly to be able to buy all of the pocket watches needed for the 'One Watch is not enough' trophy. (you need over 150k gold for this). But the issue is as follows:

If you have ships in transit and you decide to restart a mission checkpoint or you fail a mission - it will completely reset your ships back to their starting position and erase all of the money you put into their cargo. I just lost about 50k gold because I was doing a mission and failed it. I got back to my base - all ships had reset and all of the money had vanished. 

Edit - It's possible it doesn't happen 100% of the time. So, up to you if you want to take the risk I guess! For extra context, i'm playing it on a PS5, so, not sure if that is a potential factor.

on ps5 as of a moment ago i failed a business rival mission after setting my boats off 2 mins before and they are still sailing away, i lost nothing 

• 9 months later...

PS5 - today

restarted a memory and it reset all my progress back to when i started the memory including chests collected AND ships

I think it only happens if you send ships on trades AFTER you have commenced the memory or mission. If so, then reset the mission, and yes, you reset everything done since that mission started