Rumour: PS5 Redesign to Feature Detachable Disc Drive

Cryogenicide_X

Optional accessory expected next September alongside refreshed format.

Sony will release a redesigned PS5 hardware model next year, and its biggest change will be a detachable disc drive. According to reliable reporter Tom Henderson, writing for a new website named Insider Gaming, players will have the option to connect an UHD Blu-ray disc drive via an additional USB-C port on the back of the system. However, it won’t be required by fans who want to go all-digital.

According to Henderson’s report, the new system will be sold in two permutations: on its own, similar to the existing PS5 Digital Edition, or bundled with the detachable disc drive. Players will also be able to purchase the disc drive individually, should they choose to adopt physical media later down the line – or, indeed, need to replace a broken component.

Fascinatingly, the article claims that the disc drive will match the aesthetics of the redesigned device, meaning you’ll be able to affix it to the appliance so it looks like it’s a part of the original hardware – despite technically being a standalone accessory. It’s worth mentioning that the anonymous sources cited in the story are not signalling there’ll be any changes to the performance of the platform as part of this redesign. It’s not, then, a PS5 Pro.

However, it’s likely that this redesign will also be lighter and smaller than the existing model – regardless of whether you attach the disc drive or not. The new unit is expected to release some time around September 2023, with Sony allegedly ordering 18.5 million units of the new console, and just 12 million units of the current model.

While this is a surprising story on the surface, it does make sense. The PS5 Digital Edition has been generally difficult to find, so by offering the disc drive as an optional extra – either as part of a bundle or as a separate standalone purchase – it would give consumers more flexibility in this increasingly non-physical era.

Henderson has leaked hardware such as the DualSense Edge in the past, so we’ve no reason not to trust his sources – but it goes without saying that this is quite an outlandish rumour, and thus specifics could either be incorrect or subject to change. Nevertheless, it potentially provides us with a fascinating snapshot of Sony's plans – we’ll contact the manufacturer and see if it has anything to add.

Source: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/09/rumour-ps5-redesign-to-feature-detachable-disc-drive

Source: https://insider-gaming.com/new-playstation-5/

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

I think it's a great idea, would be interesting to see the new PS5 design but detachable disc-drive is useful, i mean unless you're loaded with money all digital can be very expensive, it's good to have a disc-drive as an option.

I don't understand Sony doing this though? Isn't it the same as just having a PS5 with the disc drive built in. The only difference here is that it's seperate. 

4 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I don't understand Sony doing this though? Isn't it the same as just having a PS5 with the disc drive built in. The only difference here is that it's seperate. 

it's to ease us into an all digital future, the wankers are salivating at the possibility of no more pre owned games, at this point it's just anything they can do to maintain the high profits of previous generations, whilst continuously making bad decisions that cost them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Manufacturing just one model with an attachment reduces suppliers, logistics and costs.

Is the 12 million current units ordered in addition to the estimated 40 million they will have already sold and then 18.5 million of the new units? Sony planning to have 60 million PS5s sold by 2024 is pretty solid sales numbers, considering there’s never been conditions like what this generation of consoles have dealt with. 

No one should have expected a PS5 Pro already, but a slight redesign (hopefully with some more power efficiency) is right on schedule. 

37 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

it's to ease us into an all digital future, the wankers are salivating at the possibility of no more pre owned games, at this point it's just anything they can do to maintain the high profits of previous generations, whilst continuously making bad decisions that cost them.

Well if Sony are doing this now I'm assuming that PS6 will have no physical anymore. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

Sony is doing this because Microsoft is. Microsoft already announced a detachable disc drive for the Series S a little while back, so Sony feels they need to be on that playing field. 

What bothers me here, is I feel like Old Sony would clap back with something better. Everyone saying this thing should have emulation for PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs. You know it won't (especially considering Sony knows people would buy that rather than PS+ Premium any day), but I feel like Sony is just copying for copying sake, rather than trying to one up the competition who already has the BC market on lock. But it'd be such a pro-consumer move that would make a lot of people happy. 

22 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Well if Sony are doing this now I think it's safe to assume that PS6 will have no physical anymore. 

If Sony is making an effort to still make disc drives available to the people who choose them, then it’s safe to assume they’ll stop doing that next gen?

Maybe we have different definitions of “safe to assume”…

• Like 2

Sounds like they're going to be phasing out the two original models and will now be packaging a single model with the option of having the blueray drive with it. This makes everything use the same parts while also keeping two SKUs and with the option of upgrading your discless model later.

Right now the two PS5's do have different parts like their exterior shells, here it sounds like everything will be the same. It's streamlining.

Also who knows what this disc attachment can do? Perhaps they're going to toy with PS3 discs being able to be read?

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Sony is doing this because Microsoft is. Microsoft already announced a detachable disc drive for the Series S a little while back, so Sony feels they need to be on that playing field. 

What bothers me here, is I feel like Old Sony would clap back with something better. Everyone saying this thing should have emulation for PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs. You know it won't (especially considering Sony knows people would buy that rather than PS+ Premium any day), but I feel like Sony is just copying for copying sake, rather than trying to one up the competition who already has the BC market on lock. But it'd be such a pro-consumer move that would make a lot of people happy. 

But why release these standalone disc drives when it's the same as releasing the console with the disc drive built it? It's the same thing. And for the people who say it's good for those who have digital PS5 to now be able to use discs, well they could of chosen the disc drive version. 

I don't think anything would make me buy a PS5. 2yrs and still hardly any games. Just look at the top 100 games on here, there's about 5 exclusive PS5 games and most are indies. Only 2 games I'm interested in, GOW which is coming to PS4 and Dead Space which will be a miracle if its better than the original. 

• Like 3

This'll be good if they intend to bring it down to 1 console model (I skimmed OP so maybe that's the case). Digital console w/ optional disc drive attachment. Whatever makes production easier for them, I still have friends looking for a PS5. As for me I'm all digital at this point, so I'll wait for the PS5 Pro (when/if that comes).

Edited by Skurkitty

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It would have to have a cd laser for psone and early ps2 games since the current drive doesn't support cds

Does it actually not read CDs, or did they just not pay to license it to read it. Did early PS2 games release on CDs? I never knew that.

Regardless, I'd pay for b/c if I could.

2 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Does it actually not read CDs, or did they just not pay to license it to read it. Did early PS2 games release on CDs? I never knew that.

Blu-Ray uses a blue laser diode (which can read more data at a faster rate), where as CD and DVD used a red laser. So in order to do PS1 and PS2 BC...they'd have to add a DVD laser to it that supports CD readability too.  

And if you ever owned a PS2 game that was a dark blue disc on the bottom, it was a CD. 

• Like 1

Makes sense, I guess. Making just a single model should significantly streamline things. 

I've never understood why people limit themselves to begin with by going with an all-digital console. Even if you're all in on digital games and for some reason you don't care about saving money, it still seems silly to me to purposely rid yourself of choice. Having a disc drive on your console doesn't mean that you can't still buy digital games, it just means the option is there to go physical should you ever want to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

But why release these standalone disc drives when it's the same as releasing the console with the disc drive built it?

It's better because they can produce only 1 model of the PS5 and sell it without the disc drive add-on for 400 USD and bundled with the disc drive for 500 USD. It's easier to manufacture 1 type of PS5 model than 2.

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

And for the people who say it's good for those who have digital PS5 to now be able to use discs, well they could of chosen the disc drive version. 

Except that if someone made the poor decision of choosing the digital version because of the elusive 100 USD cheaper price tag, he is now stuck with the disc-less version even if he regreted it. His only choice would be selling the disc-less and buying a disc drive version one. With a plug and play drive this issue would be solved: better logistics and also more consumer-friendly. I'd bet PS5 Pro will follow this philosophy

30 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Hardware is not a limitation for backwards compatibility, that's the simplest part. Backwards compatibility is tricky due to fitting every old gen into the newer architecture of PS5, so it's a lot of work in terms of software development for very few returns, as most players don't give a damn about old games. Also licensing and copyright is an issue, Microsoft was only able to bring a third of the 360 library into the One/Series program and now it has been halted because of reaching the cap with licensing, as they said. It's expected that with the Activision buyout, they will bring a small batch over because now they will own the IP. So as you see, that's the trickier part.

• Like 1

I can understand why they're doing this, but it certainly doesn't sound appealing to me on a personal level. I either hope it's not true or not as bad as a I think it is. I haven't even really used my current PS5 because I'm trying to get through my older systems' backlogs to make room for it (to the point I somewhat feel bad for getting it), and now I'm almost tempted to buy another PS5 sometime in the next year if this rumour is true (as a backup, because I'm insane like that) and it is as bad as I think it is (my main concern is how durable that disc drive is gonna be, and potentially how tacky it'll look). I'll wait and see what happens and make my decision when the time comes, assuming the rumours are true obviously.

My main concern with this - again, going on the assumption it's real - is if they're planning to slowly phase out disc drives entirely eventually, maybe with the last revision to the PS5 if it ever gets a third redesign like the PS3 did, or with the PS6. At that point, I'll likely be checking out of modern (or at least console) gaming - I simply don't trust digital enough, especially not on consoles, to commit to full digital. The whole (temporary, but still) issue with digital PS3 and Vita games "expiring" earlier this year was another nail in that coffin for me.

• Like 2