Rumour: PS5 Redesign to Feature Detachable Disc Drive

Cryogenicide_X

2 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

Hardware is not a limitation for backwards compatibility, that's the simplest part. Backwards compatibility is tricky due to fitting every old gen into the newer architecture of PS5, so it's a lot of work in terms of software development for very few returns, as most players don't give a damn about old games. Also licensing and copyright is an issue, Microsoft was only able to bring a third of the 360 library into the One/Series program and now it has been halted because of reaching the cap with licensing, as they said. It's expected that with the Activision buyout, they will bring a small batch over because now they will own the IP. So as you see, that's the trickier part.

No. 

Actual b/c is providing a system that plays physical copies of x game on newer hardware. Pop in a PSone disc in your PS3, go to town. There never was need to license shit because it's entirely hardware based. *IF* companies strong armed the platform holders into refusing to support true b/c in order to resell old games, then that's on their dumb asses. And that's if that occurred. Sounds pretty illegal to me if it did.

Your defense isn't going to stop me from wanting b/c and calling out Sony for being lazy fucks about it. Shoo

edit; it's funny to always be right, I mean it's fucking annoying but I called this shit way back when 360 started getting their shitty b/c and people jerking it off as amazing when it was actually shitty since it wasn't true b/c

Edited by Elvick_

Just now, The Investigator said:

makes sense when you see the digital ratio for digital over disc

Has Sony released sales numbers for disc and disc-less PS5? I haven’t seen that ratio yet and everyone that got a PS5 that I know picked up the disc version so my anecdotal data isn’t helpful. 

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Has Sony released sales numbers for disc and disc-less PS5? I haven’t seen that ratio yet and everyone that got a PS5 that I know picked up the disc version so my anecdotal data isn’t helpful. 

I'd imagine that sales ratio will just be the ratio at which they were produced, as the system is still pretty much selling out.

It wouldn't give much of an indicator of consumer desire - given that I, for example, really really didn't want a disc drive one... but in the end opted to take one anyways, as I never found any sites with the digital one in stock.

9 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Assuming this rumour becomes reality, will they allow cheaper third-party BD drives? We all know the answer. xD

Would be a big fat no. They would become an attack vector to break into the firmware on the ps5, by modifying the firmware of the drive itself. That's how the hypervisor was defeated on the 360 at first

11 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

Makes sense, I guess. Making just a single model should significantly streamline things. 

I've never understood why people limit themselves to begin with by going with an all-digital console. Even if you're all in on digital games and for some reason you don't care about saving money, it still seems silly to me to purposely rid yourself of choice. Having a disc drive on your console doesn't mean that you can't still buy digital games, it just means the option is there to go physical should you ever want to. 

I recently bought a Series S and I did not like it at all being all digital. I sold it and then got the Series X. 

On 9/20/2022 at 4:07 PM, DaivRules said:

I was talking about the game sales, from their last few reports the digital to disc games sold ratio keeps increasing for digital by a lot

"Digital download ratio: 79%, compared to 71% in previous year"

"The digital ratio was 79%, meaning four in five games purchased for PlayStation consoles during the quarter were downloads."

Edited by EDGES

....... some people prefer digital others physical and both are OK,  it's not a question of being cheap, I haven't put disc in my PS4 in 5 years mainly because where I live is a hassle to get physical games and I will probably get the discless PS5 version if that's avaliable, some people are so obnoxious for no reason.

Edited by Sunnyburrito

It's probably to do with the Digital Markets Act that's around the corner in the EU.

I'm guessing this add-on is a loophole to avoid the all-digital PS5 coming under scrutiny as it would show consumers do have the option to purchase games elsewhere if they choose to. They'd rather do this than let another company run a digital store on the PlayStation OS.

This is actually a very consumer-friendly move. For example, someone who wasn't well informed of the PSN Store's ludicrous pricing when they purchased their PS5 can now simply purchase an add-on drive. It gives people so many more options when purchasing their games. Well, that's assuming this new SKU is real. More options is always better than fewer options. 

I do wonder how much this add-on drive will end up costing. You have to remember there was a $100 difference between disc and digital PS5s at launch, so Sony was effectively charging $100 for a disc drive. Disc drives obviously don't cost anywhere near that much, so it will be interesting to see what happens. With that said, even something on the high-end like $100 is still going to be worth it for the long-term savings you'll make by switching to physical. 

11 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

This is actually a very consumer-friendly move. For example, someone who wasn't well informed of the PSN Store's ludicrous pricing when they purchased their PS5 can now simply purchase an add-on drive. 

11 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

still going to be worth it for the long-term savings you'll make by switching to physical. 

I know enough to know you aren’t trolling or anything, and I don’t know what physical prices are like in Ireland, but man… the only thing I thought reading this was “are you having a laugh?” ?

Physical cheaper than digital?
Where?

I fee like I’m regularly buying stuff at a 70-80% discount in the constant sales on the digital stores at dangerously cheap prices… and getting full “ultimate” editions with season passes etc for like half the price I see the base game selling for in physical stores around here! ?

Not to mention the fact that a lot of games only get physical versions via things like Limited Run Games - where people seem to be overpaying by absurd amounts for games relative to the digital versions.

I mean, don’t get me wrong - personally, I’d pay more for a digital copy of a game anyways (can’t scratch or lose a digital game…which is more of an issue in my house than it should be for discs with a kid around!)…

…but in all seriousness… I keep hearing about this price disparity that makes physical cheaper - yet my own experience seems to suggest the exact opposite :dunno:

15 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I know enough to know you aren’t trolling or anything, and I don’t know what physical prices are like in Ireland, but man… the only thing I thought reading this was “are you having a laugh?” 1f615.png

Where?

I fee like I’m regularly buying stuff at a 70-80% discount in the constant sales on the digital stores at dangerously cheap prices… and getting full “ultimate” editions with season passes etc for like half the price I see the base game selling for in physical stores around here! 1f602.png

Not to mention the fact that a lot of games only get physical versions via things like Limited Run Games - where people seem to be overpaying by absurd amounts for games relative to the digital versions.

I mean, don’t get me wrong - personally, I’d pay more for a digital copy of a game anyways (can’t scratch or lose a digital game…which is more of an issue in my house than it should be for discs with a kid around!)…

…but in all seriousness… I keep hearing about this price disparity that makes physical cheaper - yet my own experience seems to suggest the exact opposite :dunno:

Any AAA day One release is cheaper physical. I buy most of my games on release for 45€, PSN prices are 70€. 15% pre-order discount and 3 for the price of 2 including pre-orders. Just need to pay attention to sales and plan ahead.

I understand this cant be done everywhere but I bet alot of people do similar things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Would be a big fat no. They would become an attack vector to break into the firmware on the ps5, by modifying the firmware of the drive itself. That's how the hypervisor was defeated on the 360 at first

Right... makes me wonder if this can't be done with custom m2 SSD.

24 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Where?

I think they meant buying second hand games. This is especially true for newer releases.

Though I really like the store for all the smaller/older games that I can conveniently buy for 10-20 euro during sales.

Edited by HusKy
  • Like 1