Rumour: PS5 Redesign to Feature Detachable Disc Drive

Cryogenicide_X

34 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

that is an old generalization that applies to Sony and Xbox but not Nintendo.

Well they charged us some markup for all the components in the consoles. That's how the business of retail works. You don't get parts at wholesale or discount as a retail consumer. By the time you can buy something, it has been marked up several times. Nothing to put Sony to the fire for when no company is selling you items for what it cost them to acquire or assemble.

I'm putting Sony in the fire because we're talking about Sony. But rest assured I hold everyone accountable for these kinds of business practices. 

On September 19, 2022 at 7:07 PM, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

My main concern with this - again, going on the assumption it's real - is if they're planning to slowly phase out disc drives entirely eventually, maybe with the last revision to the PS5 if it ever gets a third redesign like the PS3 did, or with the PS6. At that point, I'll likely be checking out of modern (or at least console) gaming - I simply don't trust digital enough, especially not on consoles, to commit to full digital. The whole (temporary, but still) issue with digital PS3 and Vita games "expiring" earlier this year was another nail in that coffin for me.

Well where are you going to go though? Microsoft's pretty much in the same boat as Sony. Smartphone/Tablet gaming is all digital. PC gaming has been well ahead of consoles on this trend of phasing out physical media. They even sell pcs and laptops with no optical drives nowadays. 

44 minutes ago, RotatingCube said:

PC gaming has been well ahead of consoles on this trend of phasing out physical media. They even sell pcs and laptops with no optical drives nowadays. 

Imho that's mostly just a result of lack of popularization of bluray drives in pcs/laptops and the amount of dvd disks was getting ridiculous eg. GTA 5 was on seven discs and given the sizes now we would be at 10+ dvds, which was probably getting more and more expensive to produce comparing to single disc bluray "edition". And every game had to be register on steam/somewhere else as everyone believed it would finish pirating so why wasting money on manufacturing boxes if the game requires steam anyways.

Edited by virianna

17 hours ago, RotatingCube said:

Well where are you going to go though? Microsoft's pretty much in the same boat as Sony. Smartphone/Tablet gaming is all digital. PC gaming has been well ahead of consoles on this trend of phasing out physical media. They even sell pcs and laptops with no optical drives nowadays. 

As I said, I'd be checking out of modern gaming. I kinda wrote that with the implication that ALL consoles would be digital only at that point, not just PlayStation, though maybe I should have stated as much. I may buy/build a gaming PC and get a few games on there if there's anything I REALLY want, since I generally trust digital on PC more (especially with storefronts that essentially just give you an exe for the game you purchase so you can back it up yourself), but I have such a massive backlog currently anyway, I'll probably be set for the rest of my life if I stopped buying new games right of this moment. The main issue would of course be if my consoles would last that long.

19 hours ago, Viper said:

I'm putting Sony in the fire because we're talking about Sony. But rest assured I hold everyone accountable for these kinds of business practices. 

and I am saying the pyre you are throwing them in is one that applies to every product in your life. Which makes the matter of marking up something then selling it to you as a normal thing. You normal have to be really angered about going to store buying anything. Like your face is always scrunched up as you pick up and part items into your shopping cart. 

2 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

and I am saying the pyre you are throwing them in is one that applies to every product in your life. Which makes the matter of marking up something then selling it to you as a normal thing. You normal have to be really angered about going to store buying anything. Like your face is always scrunched up as you pick up and part items into your shopping cart. 

I understand how life works...I'm telling you that it doesn't HAVE to be this way just because a bunch of rich dicks in suits tell us is has to be this way. That's the problem with the world now...other people dictate how things are, they manipulate us every step of the way and people just shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, guess I need to accept it". Just because a bunch of shady businesses tell us this is how mark up works...doesn't make it right, it's "normal" because people accept it as such. In this situation, Sony didn't HAVE to charge us $100 for the disc PS5, they did it because they can and because they knew people would pay it regardless. 

Your average consumer doesn't care because they don't even know something is wrong. 

• 5 weeks later...

This seems like where the console market is going. PS6 will probably be digital-only out of the box and have an add-on available separately for physical games. Physical games will still exist, but probably have less copies made/sold and more boxes with only a code inside (where PC gaming has gone). 

13 hours ago, ChiefMichigan said:

PS6 will probably be digital-only out of the box and have an add-on available separately for physical games.

This is what I expect too. It's easy to blame this development on companies, but I think it's largely driven by consumer decisions. Physical PC media went away fairly quickly, and it wasn't because publishers stopped printing discs. It was consumers who very willingly embraced digital distribution (Steam in particular) and all its conveniences. Publishers welcomed this, because it completely removed the second hand market, gave publishers full control, and cut out the middle men (distributors, retailers). But if a large number of customers had not chosen digital copies over physical copies when both were available equally, physical PC media may not have gone extinct.

The same is happening on consoles now. Digital copies already sell better than physical copies, and that trend will continue. I don't necessarily like it, but for my PS5 I've only bought one physical copy of a game, the others were all digital. Because it's convenient, and because I prefer having less physical stuff in my home. So, I'm part of the problem.

But then again, I don't actually feel that the form of distribution is the actual issue that needs to be addressed. Where I see the problem is with consumer rights. We never paid for the medium itself, but for the right to play a game, an actual or quasi license. I believe that consumers need to be able to re-sell their digital copies, just like they can re-sell their physical copies. Some years ago, a EU court came to the same conclusion and recommended to law makers to modify regulations. Unsurprisingly, nothing happened since. Well, one thing did happen: In response, Valve changed their Terms of Service so that from now on customers no longer purchased a license, but infinitely "subscribed" to a game. It was quite cheeky, but again, consumers didn't care.

• Like 1