DMC vs GOW

Revenant_SZ

DMC is probably the harder series if you are looking for the plats, especially with modes like Hell or Hell and Bloody Palace. DMD can be very cheap (i have only played DMD in 1-3 and DmC though) in places. I have all the plats for GoW, I have not even attempted DMC 4 or 5. However DMC is more methodical with the combat since the goal is stylish combos. 

God of War 1 and 2 on the highest difficulty can be pretty brutal as well though.

Edited by Void
  • Like 2

Platinum difficulty can vary. I would say DMC1 is only slightly more difficult than the mainline God of War games (I haven't played the other titles so I can't speak on their behalf) because of Dante Must Die difficulty and that it's the first of its kind so there are some moments especially on that difficulty in regards to bosses that can be pretty ridiculous. There is a way around it but it means replaying the game a certain amount of times to collect items called Untouchables that can make that difficulty easier.

Devil May Cry 2 depending on what version you're playing is the easiest of both DMC and God of War. If you have the NTSC PS3 version then you will unfortunately have to suffer through Bloody Palace for 4 or 6 hours give or take. But if you have the PAL PS3 version or the PS4 versions then you can change your system language to I think Chinese and that allows you to use the cheats to use unlimited Devil Trigger and go through the mode in like an hour. If you have the PAL PS3 version then you don't have to do that but for the PS4 version they have it where if you do that everyone can get the cheats. Why Capcom didn't just make the cheat work regardless I don't know. But trust me you want to do it because DMC2's gameplay really isn't great.

Devil May Cry 3 is more refined compared to the previous two so while there is a learning curve in terms of difficulty once you get past a certain point then the game becomes much more manageable. You have your harder difficulties like Very Hard and Dante Must Die but unlike DMC1 you can get around it by farming for items easier and when you beat Very Hard you can unlock the Super Dante costume that gives you unlimited Devil Trigger that you can use for DMD. You will still get hit pretty hard though but if you use items and Gold Orbs then you can get through it even if it roughs you up. The only other thing that makes this Platinum stand out from the other two is that you have to S Rank all the levels which also isn't that bad since you can use a Super costume as well.

DMC4 and 5 I would put definitely being the more difficult than at least the mainline God of War games by far. On top of having to S Rank all levels (on all difficulties might I add barring one) you can't get out of it by using a Super costume either because the game will halve your score for using one. On top of that Bloody Palace in DMC4 can make or break your Platinum since you have to do it as all the characters and some of their playstyles will probably not be your liking. With DMC5 you have to do the hardest difficulty called Hell and Hell which means you die in one hit while the enemies are on Hard difficulty and you have to S Rank it. So yeah, it's basically relying on skill with these two and there's no real easy way out of it.

DmC is the easiest of the bunch outside of DMC2 and arguably more so on the PS4 version because the trophy requirements were made easier and you don't have to do Hell and Hell difficulty unlike the PS3 version.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 3

My two cents.

You can easily platinum at least the two PSP prequels (Chains of Olympos, Ghost of Sparta) and God of War (2018) if you can bear the tedium. The rest are a bit harder. The Devil May Cry series is much harder, although I can see myself getting the platinum in DMCV at least.

As for the gameplay, I think DMC3-4-5 is a much higher value than the entire God of War series which is reruns of the same type of spectacle and structure (the Greek episodes) and a tedious, boring cinematic blockbuster on top of it (the Scandinavian one). Individual episodes of God of War can be extremely enjoyable and awe-inspiring, but they're largely the same.

One more thing, some of the difficulty of DMC can be mitigated by grinding a lot in certain (missable) spots. If you stock up on extra lives on normal, you might have an easier time on hard, etc.

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 1

The first DMC is a bit more archaic (imo) and survival horror-esque than the rest, so it might be difficult to platinum compared to some of the GOW games for that reason alone.

DMC3's platinum is likely harder to obtain than the ones for any of the GOW games since it's much more skill dependent as a game, but the platinum is certainly still doable.

4 and 5 are a lot harder to platinum because theirs is heavily skill dependent, and they ask far more of you to obtain their respective platinums than the other DMC games.

DMC2 is extremely easy to platinum, although it can be time-consuming and potentially a drag depending on how you approach it.

DmC's platinum seems easy enough, especially the PS4 version (as someone pointed out earlier).

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1