Trophy thoughts?

MarioMan200

I have to agree, I'm just glad there are trophies at all. I think it's laughable this this is the only other classic ps1/2/p game to be added to premium since launch. I don't know why i hopped for more, but this is disappointing. Personally, I'm not going to go back and play an old game again when there's nothing new, like trophies, to incentivize me to replay them. There's just too many new games to play to waste time on old ones that have nothing new to offer. 

34 minutes ago, Maggot9 said:

I prefer the trophies for these classics to be on the easy side.  I've already played these games to death on their original consoles.  I don't need or want to "grind" in any level whatsoever.  I've played these games for countless hours back in the day.  All I'm looking for now is a trip down nostalgia lane, and simply running through the game once is exactly what I want out of it.

Thats all most of us want man why make an old game alot harder than it needs to be? Surely the nostalgic fix is the most appealing aspect of all

• Like 1

Its at least better then ape escapes list where you dont even have to do the second fight with spector that unlocks when you catch all monkeys. I still think wild arms had the best list overall out of these ps1 classics as they gave you trophies for finding a good chunk of the abilities and killing all the superbosses which is pretty much everything you could do in that game without adding pointless grinding.

• Like 1

I prefer the old classics to have simple trophy lists. Nostalgia trips are great but wear out their own welcome very fast (Ape Escape). Just replaying the game one more time is usually enough for me. Most of the time I catch myself enjoying the memories that surface while playing it more than the actual game itself, which is why we're drawn to reliving these older titles to begin with, I think. If I wanted to have a stealth/action experience based on gameplay alone, I'd play MGS 5.

I'd hate to have to spend 40 hours (aka, 2 months) dicking around with older, clunky controls getting arbitrary stuff that doesn't really do anything for me anymore. Especially with a time-consuming career, two small children, a household to maintain, etc. I'm lucky to have 1-1.5 hours in the evening for gaming sometimes. Just let me finish the game one more time, enjoy the nostalgic trip, and let me collect the little platinum in the end to really close out the chapter. Perfect.

• Like 2

It's a good game that a lot of us remember and wanted to try again also now it have an extra, the platinum trophy, so I don't see the problem with this.

Yeah some challenges are good to prove or feel better when we archive our 100%/Platinum trophy. But beat and enjoy the game should be the main focus when we buy a game so this trophy list is basic but totally OK in my opinion. (When trophies didn't exist we use to unlock everything we want for fun or curiosity and still have fun). To be honest I prefer this kind of list than those trophies lists that requires you to grind useless things that add nothing to the experience. 

I still have both games waiting to be played but hopefully soon I will get into. ?

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 8:45 AM, mike_87 said:

Agree with you tbh, its a 2000 game so nowhere near as in depth as games today, i cant visualise what other types of trophies they could have added to the first one for instance. Hopefully syphon 3 and the psp games soon!

Agreed. Never had a chance to play the psp title's, but also hoping to see omega strain on here soon as never had the online feature at the time to play it

On 9/20/2022 at 3:45 AM, mike_87 said:

Agree with you tbh, its a 2000 game so nowhere near as in depth as games today, i cant visualise what other types of trophies they could have added to the first one for instance. Hopefully syphon 3 and the psp games soon!

Syphon Filter 2 actually has a decent amount of unlockables, from secret videos to characters/levels for the multiplayer mode.  You get everything by beating it on Hard Mode, beating certain levels within a time limit, or just finding specific hidden items.  That said, I did all of that years ago and I'm kind of glad the trophies don't require everything this time around.

On 9/20/2022 at 4:26 AM, StewartBros said:

Exactly.  So many people crying that "it's too easy, waaahhh", but if the devs had added in challenging trophies, or disabled the use of cheats, then they'd be crying "it's too hard, waaahhh".

On the one hand, the list does look a tad bland compared to the lists that we're used to these days, but on the other hand, you can just play the game to completion without worrying about arbitrary tasks, like we used to do pre-PS3.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Tacked on multiplayer. Trophies that weren’t guaranteed to pop. Trophies that required multiple playthroughs. Trophies that presented too high of a skill ceiling for most players.

All things that trophy hunters faced several years ago. But the PS5 era has mostly been easy street.