Has anyone else had a random person message them about using their profile to download games?

NIEYKO

3 minutes ago, Kinkiryu said:

I just got a message from a random account begging me to let them use my account to download games. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Not on PSN, but here, yes.

Since it's against the forum rules here, if you get a PM asking for it here, report it so the moderators can address it and then I'd recommend just leaving that conversation.

• Like 1

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

Really?!? Man - I've gotten some strange messages here and on PSN (and on gamefaqs), but no one has ever asked to use my account to download games. That seems to be the video game equivalent of the prince in Nigeria.

They're really adamant about using my account to download the games I have. Even asked me personal questions like my age and where I'm from. Just really bizarre and has never happened to me before in all my years on PSN.

I personally have not seen it before, but someone I know has talked about this not being all that uncommon. The most common reason is of course trying to scam the guy who owns the account hoping he has no further security measures in place, though there are also legitimate requests, usually to get a game that is no longer available for purchase in the store, but still is on someones account and can be aquired that way. Supposedly some people pay good money for that sort of thing, and the risk can be minimized from what I know, though I personally would only give my account data to someone I know well, not some random stranger, security measures or not.

• Like 1

Yes, about 3 times since I created my account. Also, I got a message from someone asking me if I can share with them my saved game data from Uncharted 2 Remastered so they can use it to beat crushing with in-game cheats, probably after my post on that game's thread giving tips on how to achieve it. In the end that account earned that trophy, I bet not by their own merits.

Not quite, but I used to receive bizarre messages at least once per week, including insults and threats. One person asked if I would game share with them, out of the blue. It all ceased, after I enabled the privacy option which blocks messages from non-friends (I highly recommend it!).

I still receive a number of weird friend requests, however. Most of them appear to be bots/scammers, but they occasionally seem to be from legit accounts. They get deleted mercilessly, unless I can determine where the sender knows me from.

• Like 2

On 22/09/2022 at 4:26 PM, Kinkiryu said:

They're really adamant about using my account to download the games I have. Even asked me personal questions like my age and where I'm from. Just really bizarre and has never happened to me before in all my years on PSN.

They're trying to get any hint to your password/security details to see if they can hack you asking questions like those. Better just to block and ignore them. Even set it so only friends can message.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DEMON said:

They're trying to get any hint to your password/security details to see if they can hack you asking questions like those. Better just to block and ignore them. Even set it so only friends can message.

This^

Everything on my account is set to friends only so I no longer get scam messages, random boosting requests from strangers or ones from people being dicks in general.