Difficulty compared to the first game?

Pretty much the title. I just recently got the 100% in Drake's Fortune which wasn't too hard but was fairly tedious. In addition to chapter specific cleanup, I had to complete the game in full 5 times. How is the second game when compared to the first in terms of difficulty and time required for the 100% (not just the plat). Mainly wondering to see if I should procrastinate on it ahah.

I found 2 to be a bit easier than 1 in terms of pure difficulty. There's only a few segments that were especially frustrating on crushing and they were all in the final few chapters. Since you have already beaten 1 you have all the skills necessary to do 2 as well so it shouldn't take as long in that regard. Unfortunately though theres 40 additional treasures in this game. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 that started putting the collectibles on the ceilings and walls but they were harder to find than the original's on a casual run with no guide.

Edit: this is just for the platinum not the 100%

Edited by Empovyle

I felt like it was considerably more difficult to 100%, and it definitely takes longer because the game itself is longer. Due to it being longer it has considerably more annoying speedrun, many of the encounters are really dumb and cheap compared to the first one, there are heavily armored enemies in later chapters and you may have a hard time using the glitches for brutal difficulty depending on the version you have. Most versions do not allow you to use the infinite ammunition or one shot kill glitch due to a nasty patch that got rid of the glitches, and doing brutal difficulty without the glitches in this game is an absolutely miserable experience I would not wish on anyone. Collectible wise it is not that bad, some are better hidden so I recommend a guide to save time.

Once you play on brutal difficulty, glitches or not, you will realize that there are quite a few instant death restart checkpoints. I think there was one in the last chapter of the first game too, you basically restart at a checkpoint after dying, and then once you are loaded back in you instantly get killed in one hit without being able to do anything about it due to that checkpoint being in the middle of a firefight, happens up to a dozen times in a row in such a checkpoint before you get lucky and have enough time to roll to safety, there are a few of these in the game, proving that the difficulty was not tested properly.

While I'd say the second game is a lot better story wise and the scenery and scale of it are more impressive, getting the trophies was a rather big pain in the ass compared to the first one.

• Like 4

I feel like every Uncharted after the first are easier when it comes to difficulty, there aren't many frustating moments either (those jet-ski levels still haunt me), if you can plat Drake's Fortune then it shouldn't be a problem getting the plat for the rest of the games.

Can't speak about regarding brutal difficulty, but as sure I won't touch them as frustation and rage are 100% guaranteed.

Edited by Ninjise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found U2 way easier than U1. I believe the experience I gained from U1 helped me a lot - I mastered the corner shooting, stay in cover and be patient. And I believe U2 is more forgiving than U1 - The helicopter should have killed me many times, but didn't.

The car chase in U1 still gives me nightmares - when I saw a similar level in U2, I had Nam flashbacks! Thank god it was easy!

• 1 year later...

I have to disagree with most others, I think Uncharted 2 is very noticeably harder than 1. 

The thing with 1 is that there's areas you can exploit during most fights where the enemies can't hit you from but you can hit them, this makes the game a breeze for the most part once you find the spot to hide behind and pick enemies off from. In Uncharted 2, the fights are more in open areas with many, many more enemies and tougher enemies like the shield guys and you don't have those area exploits you can lean on leaving you exposed. Plus, more shotgun enemies that tend to rush you a lot more and one-shot you. Uncharted 2 is way tougher in my opinion and Uncharted 3 I'd imagine is even harder but I haven't gotten to it yet. 

I actually found UC2 brutal harder than the first. Not only is the game longer, but most importantly, the 3rd person cover trick you could abuse in the first one is heavily nerfed here (that is not getting into cover, but staying behind the cover and aiming by switching shoulders).

Dont get me wrong UC1 has countless BS sections like the Jeep, final level and the water room, but you would find yourself right at home in UC2 with areas like the snowy train section (where you basically need RNG to escape, fuck that), blue monsters which one shot you and the final boss.

UC3 I somehow remember being easier with throwing grenades back mechanic.

Edited by Fiercethetear