Someone stole my account and is threatening to ban it if I don't pay them

NIEYKO

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

At the risk of sounding like a dick, you didn't actually give the information that you said (in another thread) someone requested, did you?

No but they somehow got enough information from me talking to them to figure it out. They said they've been doing this for years.

I'd like to suggest that you don't pay them and just make a new account and move on, but I don't wanna suggest that and potentially make the situation worse for you. I'd say @HuntingFever has the best solution here, even if they can't do anything, it's best to at least try.

• Like 2

Just now, StygianWolf4 said:

I'd like to suggest that you don't pay them and just make a new account and move on, but I don't wanna suggest that and potentially make the situation worse for you. I'd say @HuntingFever has the best solution here, even if they can't do anything, it's best to at least try.

I probably will but I have hundreds of dollars worth of games on my account

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

What do you mean by "Sony support isn't working"? This sounds like one of those situations where you need to call them and go through everything with an actual person...don't bother with E-Mail or their chat. 

I've called them many times and it says that they have long wait times and tells me to call back. It then tells me to go to their website for live chat but won't let me live chat

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Might be a good time to remove your birthday from your profile page.

I guess so

10 minutes ago, Kinkiryu said:

I probably will but I have hundreds of dollars worth of games on my account

Yeah that's completely understandable, and that's part of why I didn't want to suggest that. I've spend thousands probably on games so I'd hate to lose them too. 

I should also mention he said if I try to log into the account it'll ban my whole console

Just now, StygianWolf4 said:

Yeah that's completely understandable, and that's part of why I didn't want to suggest that. I've spend thousands probably on games so I'd hate to lose them too. 

Hope you stay safe. Can't believe this happened. Don't even know how it happened

Just now, Kinkiryu said:

I should also mention he said if I try to log into the account it'll ban my whole console

Call his bluff.

Also, stop posting personal information online (everywhere) and it's also a good idea not to entertain phishers with conversations about your personal life.

7 minutes ago, Kinkiryu said:

I've called them many times and it says that they have long wait times and tells me to call back. It then tells me to go to their website for live chat but won't let me live chat

I guess so

Keep calling, you'll connect eventually. It's annoying, but a small price to pay to get this situated. Calling the cops might be an option but I just can't imagine there's much they can do without telling you to contact Sony first. I can't imagine they quite care much about stuff like this. 

Isn't your account connected to an email adress so that you can request a new password? I would just send a mail to Sony support with screenshots of the conversation, putting an emphasis on the threat of getting you banned, and a note that repeatedly calling the support was not getting you through, then get a new password via email, log into the account and implement some more security measures like two step verification, which anyone should have implemented at this point anyway, then tell the guy to go jump off a bridge. Should you not be able to get a new password then write the support mail anyway to deliver some proof, also keep trying to contact them via phone too, consider presenting the evidence of the blackmail to the police, even if it is unlikely that anything will come of it. NEVER pay such lowlifes, they are never to be trusted, their words are as worthless as their lifes and they are basically guaranteed to take the money and not give your account back anyway.

Even if he gets you banned with intentional bad behavior or some other means somehow before you can kick him out of the account, you can A, probably get that lifted by proving the circumstances, and B, even if you can't get it lifted then the account is still better off permabanned than sold for profit.

For the future, be it on Playstation, Xbox or any other platform. Most of the time when someone steals an account it is because of insecure passwords, short, easy, or easily guessed by aquiring some personal information, so sharing fewer information and making an actual secure password is recommended, also as mentioned, two step verification is a no brainer and is by now a standard for anything online that involves any real money, so I'd get that too if I were you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kinkiryu said:

Yeah, I think I'm done with Playstation for a while. Sorry for bothering you all here with my problem. I hope you all have better luck than I do. I think I'm going to delete this account now. Bye.

Just ignore their threats and try logging into your account on a browser (not your console) and change your password.

If you can access your account, then you have complete control and have the tools to shut the person out.

If you can't access it and they have locked you out, then you need to contact your bank and let them know. Then just continue to try to get through to Sony Customer support.

Also, for the love of god, don't share any of your personal information again? That part is literally common sense and it's hard to find sympathy if this situation is related to you sharing info with the random person you mentioned in another thread after they asked to account share.

• Like 1

Don't know how they'd gather enough information unless you specifically told them what they asked. (social engineering) 

This is prime example of why security measures need to be taught, if it be a pop up on console or even just posts on various places. Also use 2FA, 2 factor authentication is a life saver. Common sense would say never give out personal information to anyone and unless you've got the Internet trail of a minor celebrity there's probably zero way they'd of guessed your password unless it was a terrible one. 

• Like 1

It's unfortunate that people on the internet tend to respond to stuff like this with security tips & assumptions that you did something wrong.  It's just demoralizing for the person that got hacked.

The main thing right now, is to get your account back.  It's yours and if you're willing to jump through whatever hoops support wants you to you can get it back.  The hacker only wins here if you quit trying.  I understand why the hacker wants you to quit, but don't understand why others want to put you down for this.

• Like 2

I just wanted to give a quick update to the people here. My autistic younger brother (who's been the one posting on here until now) gave my account information to a random person who asked to use my account to download games. It wasn't until a few hours ago that I was made aware of this and have been trying to get in contact with Sony support to get my account back. I should hopefully get my account back by some time tomorrow and will make sure I make my account more secure so this doesn't happen again.

Edited by Kinkiryu