Trophy thoughts?

kidson2004

2 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

What are the fanservice levels like? I'm puzzled by this cuz I've seen tweeters lament that there isn't any and others celebrating panty shots.

I honestly didn’t see any fanservice. Nothing that registered, anyway. I mean, all the female characters are conventionally attractive, but there wasn’t anything going “hey, look! Look! BOOOOOOOOBS” or anything like that. Given how certain enemies bounce you, it’s probably possible to see Valkyrie’s panties (or whatever she’s got under the plate mail skirt), but again, nothing calling attention to it, and given how fast those bounces happen, I imagine you’d have to be desperately searching for it, waiting for the perfect moment, and lightning quick to catch it. (Cue Ryan Reynolds “but why?” GIF.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Ashande said:

Well, the DLC trophies got added. Looks like another full playthrough for the new difficulty, alongside Hilde’s story and the Seraphic Gate. Should be… interesting.

I'm downloading the game again right now. Want to get my 100% back.. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aZombieDictator said:

Imagine adding a new difficulty to a game where there's no NG+ and difficulty trophies don't stack.

They really should have added a NG+ first.

While I do agree that the difficulty trophies should stack (an issue I have had since Gun came with my 360 and I first discovered the joy of a little “ding!” when I did something in a game), I stand by thinking NG+ is not always a necessity. Given this game’s length, how it hands out upgrades/new toys and difficulty level, I feel like NG+ would either trivialize things (in the early game) or not make an appreciable difference (in the late stages.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashande said:

While I do agree that the difficulty trophies should stack (an issue I have had since Gun came with my 360 and I first discovered the joy of a little “ding!” when I did something in a game), I stand by thinking NG+ is not always a necessity. Given this game’s length, how it hands out upgrades/new toys and difficulty level, I feel like NG+ would either trivialize things (in the early game) or not make an appreciable difference (in the late stages.)

If they're adding a dlc for a new difficulty they should add a NG+ too

I can understand no NG+ for some games, but like adding a new difficulty but no NG+ is the opposite of all these other games getting new modes and such.

Also who cares if NG+ makes things easy, that's the beauty of it. It's so fun to tear through a game after you beat it normally.

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

While Hard mode was doable, it was also pretty annoying in some stages, especially since so many enemies can knock Valkyrie back or do damage from behind. I'll be honest, NG+ would give me a much greater incentive to re-play the game, it would be nice to grind proficiency levels that way. And a whole lot less boring.

Also, not relevant, but imagine the fight against Kristoffer on the new difficulty, ouch.

• Like 2

Yea….I don’t think 100% on this game is worth the damage to my mental health. xD Maybe if they had NG+ I’d at least try the Valkyrie difficulty, but from scratch, no thanks. Like that boss midway through chapter 3….no lol.

Did anyone else try and find the Seraphic Gate unpleasant? I really don’t like that they kept swapping my weapons and skills around each floor. I found it really jagging, and I don’t like not having any freedom to make choices for my skills/weapons. 

Additionally, the Hilde’s Vengeance story doesn’t have a way to select difficulty right? The boss fights in it have felt on par with hard difficulty in the story mode for me. ?  I got all the way to the

Spoiler

Fenrir fight

, but the mechanics in that were annoying me so much, I ended up just quitting out since I wasn’t even having fun anymore. I’m also pretty rusty since it’s been a while since I finished the game already.

I’m curious how everyone else feels about the DLC. Honestly, all the content they added feels very tacked on to me? Like the new story doesn’t even have a story to it lol. I also don’t think I’m going to bother with any of the 3 dlc trophies.

I think for my sanity, my new goal should be to stop wasting time cleaning up trophies in games I don’t even enjoy. ? 

Edited by Michibiku_
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the three DLC trophies and the one for completing the game on Valkryie was terrible. The problem with Valkyrie mode was that the game's combat wasn't meant for it. This game was a lot of fun on Normal, pretty good on Hard, and now - on its highest difficulty setting - it's starting to become one of the worst action games I've ever played. All the cracks are on full display on this mode because there's just so much stacked against you and there's little you can do about it. This isn't one of those games where you have to "know the system" to survive. You just have to hope that you can run around long enough to find an opening to do any sort of damage to the waves upon waves of enemies, spam your magic/Einherjar and repeat. There's no "git gud" here, which I would have been fine with.

If this was similar to, say, Dynasty Warriors where some enemies were just fodder then it'd be one thing. But no, every enemy is built like a sponge and has to be taken out one at a time. You can't button mash your way out of any situation because the screen becomes littered with enemies at every instance. Nearly every enemy has attacks that home in on Valkyrie, blur the entire screen, or a combination of the two. It's just so unpleasant. I remember seeing Valkyrie's HP meter drain in two seconds and I have no idea what happened. All I remember is the screen went black/smoggy, lightning started chasing her and then poof...game over. Since the parrying/countering is so freaking janky, you have to rely on luck for them to actually work. Nowadays, it seems higher difficulties simply mean, "Let's pump more into all of it. More enemies, more HP, more strength." If there was any semblance of balance, then more would be fine but there it isn't any. And this trend seems to not be going anywhere.

As for the other two DLC trophies, they have their own problems. Hilde's Revenge could have been an opportunity to learn more about her, but it's a barebones straight line through each of the game's areas with zero narrative. And the Seraphic Gate was a real slap in the face to long time fans. Not having the two super-bosses anywhere was one thing, but having each floor be set with Valkyrie's abilities felt like all the work we did in the main campaign was for nothing.

Overall, just an overall upsetting collection of bonus material. I'm glad it was free.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2022 at 6:10 PM, Michibiku_ said:

[…]

I’m curious how everyone else feels about the DLC. Honestly, all the content they added feels very tacked on to me? Like the new story doesn’t even have a story to it lol. I also don’t think I’m going to bother with any of the 3 dlc trophies.
[…]

I’m… kind of unimpressed. Hilde’s mode was just dull and uninspired. Only one weapon? Nothing about a plot, her background, or even flavor text to explain her abilities and how they differ from Valkyrie’s? No differences in moveset, unique abilities, or reason to play? Fun. ? The Seraphic Gate is a bad joke. “So, we’re gonna force you to use the equipment we decide is allowed, and just throw crap at you in an arena. Oh, you wanted some story tidbits, maybe a visit from Lenneth, Lezard Valeth, Freya or other old ‘friends?’ You thought you’d get to fight the superboss(es) that’s been in every other incarnation of this dungeon? Nah, fam. Haven’t tried Valkyrie difficulty yet (or sat down and completed the Gate) - too many other things to play - but not feeling too hopeful.

2 hours ago, Growllanser said:

[…]

If this was similar to, say, Dynasty Warriors where some enemies were just fodder then it'd be one thing. But no, every enemy is built like a sponge and has to be taken out one at a time. You can't button mash your way out of any situation because the screen becomes littered with enemies at every instance. Nearly every enemy has attacks that home in on Valkyrie, blur the entire screen, or a combination of the two. It's just so unpleasant. I remember seeing Valkyrie's HP meter drain in two seconds and I have no idea what happened. All I remember is the screen went black/smoggy, lightning started chasing her and then poof...game over. Since the parrying/countering is so freaking janky, you have to rely on luck for them to actually work. Nowadays, it seems higher difficulties simply mean, "Let's pump more into all of it. More enemies, more HP, more strength." If there was any semblance of balance, then more would be fine but there it isn't any. And this trend seems to not be going anywhere.

[…]

I’ve made similar comments about what seems to constitute “difficulty,” and was shot down for it; apparently we’re just supposed to accept that the definition of “increased difficulty” is just “make the numbers bigger.”

• Like 2

Hilde's DLC is just crap af. Is a detour from all the levels of the game just farming and upgrading her. No story, no background, nothing at all.

I tried Seraphic Gate twice, and both I died in the lvl 19/20. It not like is super difficult, but the fact to be forced to play with fixed weapons and skills every level is definitely frustrating is you are not familiar with them. Also, to have to start everything again... pff. Maybe I will give it some more trys this weekend.

I didn't tried Valkyrie mode, so Idk how hard can it be.

But for the try of the first 2 parts of this "expansion", I'm just glad it's free. I wouldn't pay a single buck for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 7:56 AM, Galserik said:

Hilde's DLC is just crap af. Is a detour from all the levels of the game just farming and upgrading her. No story, no background, nothing at all.

I tried Seraphic Gate twice, and both I died in the lvl 19/20. It not like is super difficult, but the fact to be forced to play with fixed weapons and skills every level is definitely frustrating is you are not familiar with them. Also, to have to start everything again... pff. Maybe I will give it some more trys this weekend.

I didn't tried Valkyrie mode, so Idk how hard can it be.

But for the try of the first 2 parts of this "expansion", I'm just glad it's free. I wouldn't pay a single buck for it.

Wait are they adding even more stuff?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 0:31 PM, GrumpyFelo said:

i am gonna start tackling this game, a question that i have, do i need to play this game 3 times Unbound Possibilities ?

or can i save scum?

Don’t need to save scum. When you finish the game (with any ending) it drops you back in Valhalla with the last mission’s event flags reset. You just do the last mission again and do the requirements for a different ending.

That said, you do need to complete the game at least three times for all the difficulty trophies, as they do not stack.

Edited by Ashande
Additional info; typo

Ok, here are my thoughts on this after completing it 100%

The difficulty for getting the plat is like a 3 or 4.

If you are going for 100%, seraphic gate raises it to a 6 and doing Valkyrie difficulty takes it up to a 7 or 8

My advice for completing seraphic gate its to exploit invincibility frames when you activate skills (if you notice when you active skill heal or fire storm, you dont get hit while the animation takes places) use soul burst when you can since you dont get hit while animation and practice your counters, especially the stay press L1 and square and practice against eygon and kristoffer on the arena 1v1.

Practice until you dont get hit or only get hit once or twice while remembering the attack patterns

For my self i practice using herteitr weapon against eygon and bolverkr against kristoffer. for me it was easier to counter with those weapons since the counter timing its different between weapons

I mention this weapon in particular because on seraphic gate you have only a choice of 2 weapons when fighting against those 2, 1v1 in one of the gates

Normal and Hard difficulty its basically the same imo. IF you can pass seraphic gate, hard its going to be a walk in the park

Now valkyrie difficulty its another story. By far chapter 1 and 2 are the most difficult while playing valkyrie difficulty since you have low health, low arts gauge and don't have some key skills until later in the chapters. After you get Eygon at the end of chapter 2, its going to get more easier since you have him tank enemies, have 1 skill of each attribute for weaknesses and by completing more of the skill trees, you are going to get better.

My weapon of choice its the DLC weapon that comes with the deluxe edition, hits hard against every enemy and it hits dark weakness if you dont have any einherjar active.

I raised 1st alfodr to C proficiency for the skill tree and then switch to the dlc weapon.

if i didnt had the dlc weapon, i used herteitr since i like how that weapon handles, alfodr second

Like everyone says proficiency farming its the time sink of this game by far. Its going to take patience and discipline

only your attacks with the weapon hitting the enemy adds to the counter on the weapon

This is what i did:

Go to quest sub-mission: An Imprisoned Soul (2)

No summons

Just find what attacks you can repeat the most in the least amount of time that can yield the most basically

You dont have to do proficiency on the dlc weapon.

After you do all SSS proficiency on the weapons, you need to finish the mission for the trophy to pop

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Roxas-blaziken said:

Since there is no guide for this game yet on the site, how long would it take to platinum the game?

Did two playthroughs; initial playthrough (on Hard, 100%, repeating last chapter multiple times for all endings) took around 35 hours. Second playthrough is required, since difficulty trophies don’t stack (on Normal, doing the bare minimum, going for the bad ending, which shaves off most of the last chapter and all the final bosses) was around 10 hours. Final platinum time was around 45 hours.

Haven’t finished the DLC yet - did Hilde’s chapter, took a couple of hours, but haven’t finished Seraphic Gate or the Valkyrie difficulty - so can’t speak to that. I imagine it will probably add ~45 hours or so, just because nothing carries over between difficulties, and you’ll need to do a lot of the side content to be effective in Valkyrie difficulty but Hilde and Seraphic Gate (depending on skill) can be completed fairly quickly.

Edited by Ashande

• 7 months later...

Just did Valkyrie difficulty and the Seraphic Gate. Valkyrie difficulty was a massive pain in the ass and just not enjoyable. Luckily, once you reach chapter 8, the run is pretty much done. Other than the first 2-3 fights, most can be avoided in Chapter 8, and everything can be avoided in Chapter 9.

After the torture that was Valkyrie difficulty, the Seraphic Gate was incredibly easy. I managed to 1-shot it but almost lost my run during the 20th stage against the 2 Berserkers. Now I just need to grind proficiency, as well as another run on hard.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Ok, my own experience with the 100% is as such:

It sucked. The plat is honestly a pain because of the weapon proficiency trophy whereas the dlc is a massive pain because of Valkyrie difficulty. The combat is good but it takes time to really have the full run of what all you can do, which is fine and understandable, but at the start of the game you are pathetic and barely able to do more than :square::square::square:/:triangle: over and over. That honestly isn't a huge deal on Normal or even Hard, but once you decide to do Valkyrie... Chapter 1 on Valkyrie has to be one of the least fun experiences I've had with an action rpg / button masher. Luckily things get better even as early as Chapter 2, and once you get Eygon to help you after Chapter 2 things become dramatically improved. Still, to start it's chapter replays for anything missed or for the S ranks, a LOT of grinding for weapon proficiencies which is tedious and pointless, a boring second playthrough for Hard mode, THEN another play through on an unfun difficulty for a dlc trophy... I would not recommend this at all, to anyone. This is a pale shade of Valkyrie Profile with a significantly worse story, fun (except for the first few chapters especially on Valkyrie) but extraordinarily repetitive gameplay, and a pretty bad list.

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 1