Don't support this.

GMVehox

1 minute ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

the AC2 analogy is spot on guys. In that game you just hold the button and watch.

Somehow everyone here thinks it's better simply because it takes 30 hours and not 30 minutes to get the platinum trophy.

This thread may not survive, but unless this alt is trolling the ever loving shit out of all of us, the possibility that someone actually believes this will live on...

8 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Whoa man so sorry I'm missing your grand point that everyone here is disagreeing with even though I seriously doubt I am. Why don't you please enlighten me

Posting because I was reading this thread I was thinking most folk are using the same tired arguments. Then as I was reading GraniteBeast603's posts it made me think that someone was finally making the point I always make... Then as I was reading the responses to them I was legit thinking before I even got to your message "Damn, these responses are totally missing Granite's point here"

The point being that many games are brain off activities. Basically anyone can do them. This has been the case for decades and easy games certainly precede achievements and trophies. As Granite says, what makes spending 30 hours in Assassin's Creed any different to 30 minutes Stroking the Hedgehog? Both are mindless activities with the key difference being the length of time they take. 

Now, you might have personally enjoyed Assassin's Creed enough to consider it worth the 30 hours of your time, but you seriously can't be making the argument that what you did in AC was something special or challenging? You realise most games are designed to be easily beaten by anyone who is likely to pick up the controller? 

1 minute ago, Slayer1189 said:

Now, you might have personally enjoyed Assassin's Creed enough to consider it worth the 30 hours of your time, but you seriously can't be making the argument that what you did in AC was something special or challenging? You realise most games are designed to be easily beaten by anyone who is likely to pick up the controller? 

I never played AC first of all but I don't see those as being the height of respectable plats. That being said, there is certainly a range of how respectable plats ARE, or games in general. What that troll was saying and what I guess you are saying serves only to bring everyone down to the level of "button presser" and is extremely unfair to those who actually push themselves for their hobby.

14 minutes ago, Ashande said:

One could point out that there is timing, spatial awareness and context involved -  which does not apply to a Stroke the Hedgehog or a Jumping Fries TURBO - but I suspect you’ll disregard that.

Which trophy do you get for "demonstrating spatial awareness and context involved"? Is that a bronze or silver?

why’d it take you 8 months to finish? Why was “No-hitter” (kill 10 guards without taking damage) one of your last trophies, if you just “mash Square” and you’re “invincible” anyway?

Why does it matter how long it took me? I put the game down (all games actually) for six months. So what? Which trophy do you get for "gaming every day of the year"? Is that a gold or silver?

Did you manage to get “Doctor” and “Sweeper” by just pressing Square?

Yes

we can all go back to our Fairchild Video System F’s - or hell, to Pong consoles, or maybe even back to modified radar screens - and just press the button and consider it an equal accomplishment. It’s all just pushing buttons, right?

If someone ports Pong to a system that supports trophies, that is exactly what will happen. what's your point?

Your argument also completely disregards the work and effort put in - whether it be for love, for money, for the love of money, or whatever other reason - that game developers frequently put into their games, to make a world, characters, story, ruleset, soundtrack and reasons to interact with all those factors - even if that interaction does just boil down to “hold X”

Ok, and someone made a game for Hedgehog enthusiasts. What's your point? Sony isn't enforcing any quality standards on games with regard to these factors. And while I agree, that's disappointing, I'm not about to start hurling accusations of "addiction" and "exploitation" at someone who's just playing video games within a framework that's explicitly permitted.  I get it, you wish the rules were different. But they aren't. Why hate people for it?

You flamed someone earlier, claiming their argument was that Stroke the Hedgehog vs. Assassin’s Creed was akin to E.L. James vs Shakespeare;

That's exactly what that person said. Repeating their claim is not "flaming".

4 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I never played AC first of all but I don't see those as being the height of respectable plats. That being said, there is certainly a range of how respectable plats ARE, or games in general. What that troll was saying and what I guess you are saying serves only to bring everyone down to the level of "button presser" and is extremely unfair to those who actually push themselves for their hobby.

^This kind of thinking, particularly the bolded, is far more unhealthy than anything the "addicts" are doing.

Don't look now @Deadly_Ha_Ha, but I think you're being exploited.

Edited by GraniteBeast603

13 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

I just did.

You can't win a game that nobody is playing. You can't lose either.

Sony set up the trophy system with the point values and trophy requirements. Everybody was given the exact same set of rules for the game. If you want to win that game, then go compete according to the rules. If you believe the game is somehow denigrated, or less satisfying because of what is allowed under the rules, then DON'T PLAY!

You clearly want the rules to change to accommodate your own vision of what you think the game should be. That isn't happening, so your alternative is to mock, insult, and denigrate all the other people who are playing by the rules.

that's not a good way to be

The rules have already been bent long since so your argument is basically nonexistent, rudimentary speaking.

A large number of people on this site still want their hard work over the years to be represented properly, which simply isn't the case anymore.

2 hours ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

My first question is, where can I find the other side of this debate? Where is the community of people sharing their experiences of trophy hunting in hedgehog petting games? Surely there must be sites where people share which games are easiest, most region-stackable, etc. Where is it? What do these people say for themselves when asked "Why are you doing this"?

Are you serious? Just look at the front page of PSNProfiles and every day you will see the molestation of the PSN store front. These cretins are too busy gorging themselves with that shit buffet to have any real opinion on the matter; they're just here to consume. 

• Like 3

Just now, Mellenthin said:

A large number of people on this site still want their hard work over the years to be represented properly, which simply isn't the case anymore.

Sorry but that sentiment is truly bizarre to me.

If you're using the term "hard work" to describe video gaming, then we're just not speaking the same language at all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

Everyone should just stop engaging with the troll.  Their play here is to derail and get the thread locked.  Just disengage.

Yeah, should have checked his 'profile',  or the lack thereof, from the getgo.?

13 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

Sorry but that sentiment is truly bizarre to me.

If you're using the term "hard work" to describe video gaming, then we're just not speaking the same language at all.

It would be even more bizarre if it turned out that you aren't a troll and actually believe in everything you say.

Unless you failed to notice, you're on a site dedicated to trophy hunting, and that usually entails some work and effort - at least it used to, anyway...?

23 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

@DrBloodmoney

this is the 3rd time I’ve seen u mention the longest road on earth with such high regard

now I’m inclined to go check it out lol

You should!

It’s always a good example of a very, very easy game, but one that shows not all games in that category are silly rubbish like the Jumping Taco etc.

The soundtrack is excellent in it - it’s essentially a music video as a game - and it works really well 

5 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

It would be even more bizarre if it turned out that you aren't a troll and actually believe in everything you say.

I don't see why. Everything I've posted is 100% sincere.

I get that AC2 has more "art" than the Hedgehog game. But you don't get a trophy for "enjoying the art of the game". And as far as gameplay goes, AC2 is 95% auto-pilot. That's an objective fact that can't be disputed.

You're really splitting hairs if you think that's so much *deeper* or *more meaningful* than a game that's 100% auto-pilot.

Edited by GraniteBeast603