Don't support this.

GMVehox

3 hours ago, BennyWalton66 said:

Why would they care if it makes money.

Because the money they make on these games is insignificant to their image and if their image is portrayed as the trash game store in the end they will loose money.  They get like 30%.  So if they make 30% on $4.00 selling games to 1% of the gaming community and it gets in the way or becomes a nuisance to the 99% of gamers who are paying $69.99, in which they take 30%, they will shutdown the jumping hotdog bullshit real fast.

2 minutes ago, trampgav said:

a guy whose name is an anagram of ‘angriest beta’ 

Ouch. That was a good one. Respect.

is struggling to accept that different games are different.

No. Stop being so glib and try to see the nuance here.

I understand that AC is a little more involved that stroking the hedgehog. I get it. It should have been obvious that my claims of their equivalency was hyperbolic. However, only slightly so. I maintain that the three AC games that I've played are boring as hell and amount to little more than holding the x button and pointing your guy in the direction you want to go. They're 95% auto-pilot.

I get that the hedgehog game is 100% autopilot, and I understand that 95% is not 100%. My point is that 5% difference is nowhere near enough to claim any kind of moral, ethical, or competitive superiority over people who play the hedgehog game.

14 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

How the fuck are we on page eleven of a topic about a game called Stroke the Hedgehog?

PSNP having a normal one today.

What's funny is that someone could potentially plat an entire Noah's Ark worth of these animal stroking "games" in the time it would take to read through this thread. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I never played AC first of all but I don't see those as being the height of respectable plats. That being said, there is certainly a range of how respectable plats ARE, or games in general. What that troll was saying and what I guess you are saying serves only to bring everyone down to the level of "button presser" and is extremely unfair to those who actually push themselves for their hobby.

I'll agree with you that there are some games that require effort and skill in the hobby... But these games are for sure in the minority. Not only are they the minority edge cases, but I would disagree that their plats are "more respectable". Respect is something you give another person and I don't see why you should care how other people are enjoying the hobby. Everyone should play games for themselves. 

What I will say is that overcoming a game you found challenging does come with a certain sense of satisfaction that the VAST majority of games don't offer... But I don't personally play games only for the satisfaction of overcoming a challenge as the hobby gives me other forms of joy and I am sure this is the case for many. 

1 hour ago, Mellenthin said:

A large number of people on this site still want their hard work over the years to be represented properly, which simply isn't the case anymore.

I have seen this point made enough to know what you mean by it... However, their "hard work" continues to be represented properly. All the trophies they have earned are still on their profile. No new game can take that away. it's not like Sony announced that they are going to start removing trophies from accounts ?

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That was never my point though. I don’t care about the leaderboard, I don’t care about “respectability” of a profile, and I certainly don’t care about difficulty or rarity.

I care about the quality of the games.

I understand your point and don't get me wrong. I am well aware that these trophy games lack much of the art and creativity that goes into other titles, even if some of them like My Name is Mayo are like a meta narrative on the easy click for plat games... Which is in itself a form of art/creativity.

My point is that the vast majority of games and trophies available are easily earned by whoever wants them. To say that the trophies in these easy games are less valuable than Assassin's Creed II or Apex Legends or Ratchet and Clank or [insert most games here] doesn't really make sense. The quality of these games and the creativity is low... but that's not a commentary on the trophies. 

What I do think Sony could do is offer some level of storefront curation much like Steam has so that it's easier to find other indie titles like Longest Road on Earth as you mention, as at present these games can get buried and hard for the average user to discover, which is a shame for the indie devs. I hope Sony do offer some level of curation in the future, but Sony have been the worst for indie sales across the major competitors for years now so who knows. 

As many people said, everyone is free to make what they want with their money as long as it doesnt break any law, however, PSN must make a dedicated tab for these kind of "games", because they know they exist for the only purpose of increasing trophy count and psn profile ranking, and they know there are many people who will spend cash on these, why not make a tab totally different from indies just for these kind of products.

Trophy hunting has become something interesting, its becoming more difficult to get a better country position because many people dont mind spending 1.50 per month, its not the same hunting for hanna montana in physical and paying 5 to maybe 6 bucks, than knowing that as long a you have cash in the bank you can buy as many 1.50 as you can

1 hour ago, The Alchemist said:

What's funny is that someone could potentially plat an entire Noah's Ark worth of these animal stroking "games" in the time it would take to read through this thread. 

That's why I haven't bought any yet, I'm waiting for Noah's Stroke the Ark Collection.

• Like 2

In the time it took me to read this thread I could probably have knocked out 20 of those bastard games... or stroked out ?

Ultimately there will come a day for all those who spend their money on these 'games', where they think to themselves, why did I bother? I never thought I'd see the day Hakoom was knocked off top spot, and ultimately all these people wasting their money on this crap will be overtaken by another young gun looking to do the same. Let them enjoy the rat race until the penny drops and eat your popcorn from the outside looking in.

Besides, what the f*ck would we all talk about if Sony does get rid of them? ?

Edited by ScintillaWolf

9 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Off the top of your head, do you even know who is at no4 in "the world", or no7 in "the world" ?

No?

Absolutely nobody cares about each other in the leaderboard, everyone is just focused on this weird "number" of their own, and whether they have green or red numbers next to their rank, each time they visit this site.

Whether you're in the top 1000 and rising or top 10000 or rising, there is literally no difference. A few bucks to secure a place? lol. Secure what?

The fact you have to keep paying to secure your place, that's the opposite of secure. Imagine if you needed to prop up your bank account by adding more money to it everyday.

Also, this race never ends, and there are no prizes.

You are currently at 1598 in the UK, I am 1371, I did not even know what my rank was, let alone know that I was higher than you.

I can tell you from first hand experience that being at 1371, about 200 higher than you, it's worthless and means nothing. I would easily swap places with you, if this was a queue for the toilet, or something. If going up means that much to you, I would swap. You will gain nothing from being at 1371. It might even be 1372 by the time you read this post, or even lower. Who knows.

I have a trophy snapshot from 5th Feb 2021 when I was at 697 in the UK and 6501th in the world! WOW do you know how I felt then?

Exactly the same as I do now, nothing.

Well actually I do feel something, it was nice seeing Metal Slug's banner again, great memories playing Metal Slug 1 to 6. Back before we had Ladies in a Pink Leotard with a gun and shit like that spamming the new games section.

Each to their own I guess. Maybe it seems worth it to you now. Maybe in a year when you have had to spend a few bucks 50-100 times, you might start to change your mind.

Some real heat in this comment. Keep it up.

2 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

Been able to resist these shovelware asset flips for the longest time, they ain't worth adding to your profile at all. If I even had 1 of them I'd wanna abandon my entire account. 

That seems awfully dramatic to abandon it because of one shitty game. I have over 50 less than a 100 shovelware titles, yes I regret chasing the leaderboard dragon but do I want to throw away 10+ years of trophy hunting because of it, no I don't.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Off the top of your head, do you even know who is at no4 in "the world", or no7 in "the world" ?

No?

Absolutely nobody cares about each other in the leaderboard, everyone is just focused on this weird "number" of their own, and whether they have green or red numbers next to their rank, each time they visit this site.

Whether you're in the top 1000 and rising or top 10000 or rising, there is literally no difference. A few bucks to secure a place? lol. Secure what?

The fact you have to keep paying to secure your place, that's the opposite of secure. Imagine if you needed to prop up your bank account by adding more money to it everyday.

Also, this race never ends, and there are no prizes.

You are currently at 1598 in the UK, I am 1371, I did not even know what my rank was, let alone know that I was higher than you.

I can tell you from first hand experience that being at 1371, about 200 higher than you, it's worthless and means nothing. I would easily swap places with you, if this was a queue for the toilet, or something. If going up means that much to you, I would swap. You will gain nothing from being at 1371. It might even be 1372 by the time you read this post, or even lower. Who knows.

I have a trophy snapshot from 5th Feb 2021 when I was at 697 in the UK and 6501th in the world! WOW do you know how I felt then?

Exactly the same as I do now, nothing.

Well actually I do feel something, it was nice seeing Metal Slug's banner again, great memories playing Metal Slug 1 to 6. Back before we had Ladies in a Pink Leotard with a gun and shit like that spamming the new games section.

Each to their own I guess. Maybe it seems worth it to you now. Maybe in a year when you have had to spend a few bucks 50-100 times, you might start to change your mind.

Oof.

I also remember when I was in the top 100 in my country, not gonna lie felt kinda nice but the feeling didn't last an hour, now I'm perpetually stuck in 500 or so, and I'm getting a grey hair every time I check...think I'm gonna stroke some animals and jump some food.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 2