Hypothetical: A "Vita 2" would most likely not have BC with Vita 1 games.

UnwaveringSoul_

I cant even begin to address this post seriously but let me first breakdown your flawed logic, OP. Comparing a fictional handheld to a yet unreleased VR peripheral is so dumb. Apples and Oranges comparison. Also, Vita 2 is very likely not in development and if it were, Vita game emulation is not that hard. The reason there wont be BC with PSVR1 is because of differnt tech, controllers and camera tracking. Anyways, you stirred up conversation, but probably not the kind you were intending. Think next time, please. 

Also, the SEGA Dreamcast 2 will not be backwards compatible with the Dreamcast. It might offer some sort of emulation of older SEGA games though.

On the other hand, when the ColecoVision 2 eventually hits the market, it just might be able to be backwards compatible.

5 hours ago, UnwaveringSoul_ said:

With knowledge that PSVR2 will not have backwards compatibility with PSVR game now known. There is a really high chance that if a "Vita 2" was made, it would most likely not have backwards compatibility with Vita 1 games.

Not really, no. The reason the PSVR2 wasn't backwards compatible is that it has fundamentally different hardware that's just not capable of playing PSVR1 games. If a Vita 2 had a more or less similar design to 1 (in terms of functionality, e.g. buttons and touch screen), then there's no reason it couldn't play Vita 1 games.

Of course the reason the PS5 is able to play PS4 games is because they both use similar architecture, while the PS3 is notoriously extremely convoluted. I'm not sure what kind of system the Vita runs on, so that might be a problem. But still an entirely different case than that of PSVR2, where the OS itself is compatible with old games (hence PS5 backwards compatibility), but the hardware isn't.

There were two chances of PS Vita 2 being a thing... Jack and Slim. I hate to say it, but Slim has hit the road and all we have is Jack. Sony has given up on handhelds. I think Nintendo Switch may be a big factor in this. Anyway, if it happened, Sony should give up on proprietary memory cards and just use mSDXC (I'm looking at you Nintendo... good call there).

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, jgm4789 said:

At this point if there ever was another sony handheld it will be nothing more then a digital only streaming/remote play focused portable ps5 that may have the option to download ps4 titles. Even nintendo halfway phased out of the dedicated handheld game in favor of the hybrid model.

This

All the funny mocking aside...I really do wonder what Sony could do with a new handheld. The Vita is still a powerful system in it's own right...I can only imagine what Sony could come up with if we actually got a successor. You know...if they didn't just cut support and actually tried to put some thought behind their own handheld market. 

simple answer, no if sony hates one thing its supporting backwards compatiblity. why would they when they can just release another copy of the game that works with the current system like they did with the ps4 all those ps1 and 2 and 3 on there you can rebuy digitally and play but can you stick a disc in that you already own of said game? no of course not. why? cause theres no money to be made.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 0:00 AM, veinte-justo said:

I recently bought a Vita and I fell in love with the system. Would buy a Vita 2 day 1 this time. Sadly, under this direction I dont see it in the near future.

I was late to the party as well and bought one of the last Vitas that game stop sold in 2020, and I fell in love with it as well. I never thought I'd care to have a console I could bring anywhere, not sure what i was thinking. I hadn't realized that they are basically standard equipment for trophy hunting.

It also got me into the world of indie and smaller games. I rarely play AAA titles anymore. I'd buy a vita 2 the second it was available,  I know it's extremely unlikely but Sony did purchase a patent for another handheld within the past 12 18 Months iirc

Wow this thread is just like Twitter in that a completely fictitious scenario has been put forward and folks are getting mad about it.

Honestly, unless Sony out out a handheld that actually plays proper PS5 games and games downloaded from PS Plus and streams the PS3 games then I don’t see any space in the market for it. It’s a much different world from when the Vita came out and the Switch and Steam Deck alongside many cloud based services basically have all bases covered.

5 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Wow this thread is just like Twitter in that a completely fictitious scenario has been put forward and folks are getting mad about it.

Honestly, unless Sony out out a handheld that actually plays proper PS5 games and games downloaded from PS Plus and streams the PS3 games then I don’t see any space in the market for it. It’s a much different world from when the Vita came out and the Switch and Steam Deck alongside many cloud based services basically have all bases covered.

All the more reason to release something that can compete. The demand is there. They just need to not half*** it and also not sabotage it and beat it into submission until it dies.

There is a huge community of Vita lovers. It was huge enough to get Sony to back off on the store closure. I buy games through the Vita store every week to support it. If done right, it could be a massive success

• 2 weeks later...