As a game, what is the appeal?

Groudon199

A very simple question I've been asking myself ever since "hold X to plat" releases became an epidemic. A bunch of people have tried to defend these "games"' existence without saying anything about the "games" themselves.

For the people who buy most or all of the "Stroke the [Animal]", "The Jumping [Food]", and "The [Noun] [Letter]" titles when they're released, is there anything you like about the games themselves that would lead you to recommend them to a person who has zero interest in trophies?

Only the games, not the trophy lists.
(also, I'd prefer to keep the sarcastic responses from people who hate these releases to a minimum)

These are the games I sit with my wife and spend more time cracking jokes and laughing at them than the devs put into making them. That's where the enjoyment for a very select few of these tire fires happens. I said in another post for this game that it's the same thing as watching bad movies. You don't watch a bad movie to enjoy as is, you find a really bad one, like the decaying garbage at a landfill bad, and you just laugh at it with your partner, group of friends, whoever. You just riff it. (see. Mystery Science Theater 3000). Also, once in a while, I like to check out a bad game or two, to see how low some of these devs can go in terms of quality. They never cease to amaze me. 

C'mon you already know the answer to this question, it's purely to climb the trashboard, the why and other possible answers are all in that other thread, really don't see the need for yet another topic on a subject already talked to death.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 4

The OP is new to this site. That's why he's asking. Cut him some slack, guys. As to the OP's question, I guess everyone needs to "stroke their hog" every once in a while? Bad joke? Yeah, bad joke.  :awesome:

-EDIT-

My fault, he's anything but new. It says "newbie" with very little posts so I assumed without actually looking at his profile. Sorry.

Edited by MrTacoNinja

Never heard of this game until now, but I can guess it is similar to my name is Mayo and other lazy games where you barely do anything to get a plat?

I'm more worried about the quality of the PS store, in the last few years there is so much junk and app like games they seem only to grow in numbers and Sony doesn't do a thing to fight that, it's rather frightening IMO. 

My Name is Mayo is a work of art close to this new wave, and I'm not even being ironic. Mayo has art and effort, these games are literally a pasted-in image, there's not even effort in the code of it.

1 hour ago, Elekidcore said:

These are the games I sit with my wife and spend more time cracking jokes and laughing at them than the devs put into making them. That's where the enjoyment for a very select few of these tire fires happens. I said in another post for this game that it's the same thing as watching bad movies. You don't watch a bad movie to enjoy as is, you find a really bad one, like the decaying garbage at a landfill bad, and you just laugh at it with your partner, group of friends, whoever. You just riff it. (see. Mystery Science Theater 3000). Also, once in a while, I like to check out a bad game or two, to see how low some of these devs can go in terms of quality. They never cease to amaze me. 

These are less like bad movies and more like a kid animating his first flash. A bad movie would be more akin to a something like Anthem which, while a heaping pile of shit, still contains a game within it.

• Like 1

My own personal theory is that top tier of the leaderboard is so hyper competitive that this kind of software is required so that these players can continue to push on to higher and higher levels. It's like these players are in a football league and these games are the footballs. That's all it is really. They're playing a different game than the rest of us. It's not about the games at all.

Edited by GraniteBeast603
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunnyburrito said:

C'mon you already know the answer to this question, it's purely to climb the trashboard, the why and other possible answers are all in that other thread, really don't see the need for yet another topic on a subject already talked to death.

I'm trying to see if the people defending this trash can come up with any justification besides "it has a right to exist" or something about the leaderboards. I know they can't but I'd like them to surprise me.

No one will ever mention it, but some of us use these Games for competition on playstationtrophies.org or other Site "Site Events" where you need for example hunt Trophies with Animals in the Name like a Hedgehog in this Case. For certain Events like the POWGI games are great to complete the tasks. Thats when i use some of them sometimes.

As a Game itself.....well its Fun for a few Minutes for the first time. Can't imagine playing it 100 of times in all different Versions allways the same to do. :D