PS3 PS+ games yours to keep now?

Zenpai

As part of my transition to an all-digital collection (as much as possible), I turned on my PS3 to buy the original Catherine. The thing is... the store won't let me. It just acts as if I own the game. Even though I don't. I downloaded it when it was a PS+ game all the way back in 2013, but my subscription just expired yesterday. And yet... I can still play the game no problem. I even turned on my PS4 and sure enough, the PS+ games are now locked out.

What's going on here? ? Are PS3 PS+ games now yours to keep forever?

This doesn't help you at all. But all I can say is this is FUBAR :-(

I just booted up my PS3 2 days ago. But have not gone through my games yet.

And it's been almost 2 full years since I last played my PS3 console.

I really hope all of my purchased games are still playable?

Edited by TheDarkKratos

• 1 month later...

Would be nice to get an answer to this...that's a huge deal if we just get to keep PS+ games now. The precedent alone is big...PS+ won't last forever, it'd be pretty insane if we got to keep EVERYTHING at the end of the day. Need to know about Vita too. 

Not to mention...I'd like to know for sure so that I can now correct my games list to reflect that I literally own everything now. I've been subscribed since 2012 and have added almost every game we've gotten on Plus in that time frame to my library. They're currently separated by "Owned" and "PS+", so it'd be cool to find out if I can just combine them now. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Viper said:

Would be nice to get an answer to this...that's a huge deal if we just get to keep PS+ games now. The precedent alone is big...PS+ won't last forever, it'd be pretty insane if we got to keep EVERYTHING at the end of the day. Need to know about Vita too. 

Not to mention...I'd like to know for sure so that I can now correct my games list to reflect that I literally own everything now. I've been subscribed since 2012 and have added almost every game we've gotten on Plus in that time frame to my library. They're currently separated by "Owned" and "PS+", so it'd be cool to find out if I can just combine them now. 

It's not the case.  My subscription lapsed a few months back and I can't boot any PS Plus games, they're not on my download list, and when I look up old PS+ games, it lists their price rather than a prompt to download. 

Catherine was on PS Plus at one stage but maybe OP bought it on sale and just misremembers, or maybe it's just a glitch in the store - for me it's priced at €20.  On the other hand, for some reason Dead Nation is listed as free for me, despite getting it from PS Plus. 

Edited by WakeUpHP

6 minutes ago, WakeUpHP said:

It's not the case.  My subscription lapsed a few months back and I can't boot any PS Plus games, they're not on my download list, and when I look up old PS+ games, it lists their price rather than a prompt to download. 

Catherine was on PS Plus at one stage but maybe OP bought it on sale and just misremembers, or maybe it's just a glitch in the store - for me it's priced at €20.  On the other hand, for some reason Dead Nation is listed as free for me, despite getting it from PS Plus. 

Yeah, it sounded too good to be true. 

• Like 1

This happened to me back in 2015 (?). I had a PS Plus trial and redeemed XCOM, Oddworld, and a few other games. After my trial expired, I was able to access the games no problem. I went as far as to contact Playstation's customer support (I was afraid of getting banned or something) and they told me to delete the licenses. I tried that and nothing changed so I just accepted the free games. I still haven't been able to figure out why that happened and why it was only with a select few games. (I'd later purchased and let a PS+ sub run out, and those games were unavailable, but the aforementioned hadn't changed)/ 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 10/11/2022 at 9:15 PM, WakeUpHP said:

Catherine was on PS Plus at one stage but maybe OP bought it on sale and just misremembers, or maybe it's just a glitch in the store - for me it's priced at €20.

So I decided to investigate just to make sure and there is absolutely no email from PlayStation telling me I ever purchased Catherine, so yeah, as of right now, it's official: I just got to keep a PS+ game despite me not having PS+ anymore.

4 minutes ago, Zenpai said:

So I decided to investigate just to make sure and there is absolutely no email from PlayStation telling me I ever purchased Catherine, so yeah, as of right now, it's official: I just got to keep a PS+ game despite me not having PS+ anymore.

What I find interesting is you still have your topics of discussion on your signature, but you haven't really cared about them in years. The reason I bring this up is because I find the way Sony is handling PS+ as a service a little baffling.

So it sounds like with old PS3 games, those you obtained years ago aren't obtainable the moment your subscription expires. I don't know if renewing it brings them back, I just know on PS4 at least, there will be a lock symbol next to the game indicating you can't play it unless you happen to resubscribe.

Sony probably can't remember much from the PS3 era. Management has changed hands multiple times and the people in charge probably aren't even aware of Sony's rich history with gaming.

On 14/12/2022 at 6:38 AM, Zenpai said:

If you see an Expire Date on the game info, it is from plus. If there is none, you bought it at one point. There are games that I know I bought that I can't find the confirmation email. Seems some of them ended up in spam and deleted over time.

But it seems a waste of money that you would go and try to buy a game you finished in 2013 from a system that is already 2 generations old, specially the store having almost being closed and knowing that it being a digital game you will loose access to it (either you will loose the way to dowload and install or you console will die). And if you loved the game and still plays, the PS4 is certainly cheaper and probably plays better