Google has announced it is shutting down its Stadia cloud gaming service

Aranea Highwind

I had a two month trial a year or two ago. Wasn't a terrible service, just seemed rather pointless. I could play any of these games via a browser thing, yes. Or I could just not do that and install the fucker like every other person on the planet for the last decade plus. The controller was neat, though. Oddly comfortable and responsive, if not a bit fragile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DRY said:

Oh and am I the only one who remembers when Google promoted their Stadia controllers as “gender neutral” or some virtue signalling bullshit like that?

I can only applaud their efforts on that front. Only because now both men and women can shove the useless controllers up their bum equally.

I legit forgot about this even being a thing until I saw this thread. I don't know any of the exclusives, I don't directly or indirectly know anyone who owns that thing, I can't even picture the thing in my head when I read the name. I would say rest in peace, but I don't think that applies to something that was dead on arrival.

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

AHAHA, ? This is so cruel, but true.

Like a double perfect, followed immediately by a fatality.

Those things didn't help matters but even in ideal circumstances, the Stadia was doomed from the start, because it's a flawed, massively over-hyped system with a lot of technical problems, an infamously bad launch and games that cost a lot more than they did on competitor systems.

Edited by HuntingFever
Updated.

I love seeing big companies that thing gaming is nan easy quick $$bag fail so hard, I hope Googe lost a good amount of money, as much as possible on this, and from now on stay far away from gaming, their anti singleplayer games/home console gaming tactic of marketing for their product was an insult to the gaming industry

17 hours ago, BloodyRutz said:

I didn't really care about Stadia, but the streaming is the future whatever you like it or not. Of course, many projects will fail in the meantime. That's how progress is made. The same people used to call the internet a failure in nineties, lol.  

We need to understand that a lot of us are in our 30s and 40s, and we typically look at new stuff with a skeptical eye. The kids growing up today will embrace streaming as the new standard for video games.

Your parents back in the 1990s said the same thing about the internet and violent video games like Mortal Kombat and DOOM. They didn't understand that stuff.

Personally, live streaming should be for movies/TV and for making content on YouTube/Twitch, as we have done those for years now. Making video games completely live stream dependent and requiring online at all times 24/7 while shoving microtransactions/advertising down your throat will push me one step towards abandoning modern gaming altogether.

We already have games that are 100% online dependent as all modern games practically are at this point and we're moving towards NFTs. Purchase DLC that isn't necessarily optional but mandatory to get the most out of a game.

I'll just be a Boomer saying "No, no we don't need this shit".

• Like 2

I'm only surprised it lasted as long as it did.

It always seemed like such a terrible idea, thought up by people extremely out of touch with broader society. Who on Earth is going to want to pay to stream games that they also have to PAY for in full (unless they subscribed to the pro subscription or whatever), when they need exceedingly good and stable internet and likely already have console(s) and/or a gaming PC if they're at all interested in games anyway? It seemed like it a targeted a very niche rich audience that probably didn't exist past the triple digits at most. And that audience would likely just be rich folk who have some tangential interest in games but don't care enough to buy a console or something. I'd honestly be interested to see just how many people seriously used Stadia for an extended period of time (not just people that checked it out and checked out just as quickly), but I doubt that kind of data would ever be made publicly available.

At least people are getting refunded.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

We need to understand that a lot of us are in our 30s and 40s, and we typically look at new stuff with a skeptical eye. The kids growing up today will embrace streaming as the new standard for video games.

Your parents back in the 1990s said the same thing about the internet and violent video games like Mortal Kombat and DOOM. They didn't understand that stuff.

Personally, live streaming should be for movies/TV and for making content on YouTube/Twitch, as we have done those for years now. Making video games completely live stream dependent and requiring online at all times 24/7 while shoving microtransactions/advertising down your throat will push me one step towards abandoning modern gaming altogether.

We already have games that are 100% online dependent as all modern games practically are at this point and we're moving towards NFTs. Purchase DLC that isn't necessarily optional but mandatory to get the most out of a game.

Agreed, streaming works for music and movies because those are not interactive and its worst aspects(buffering, video and audio quality drops, ect.) are minor inconveniences at best as a 4 minute song or 22 minute episode doesn't take that much data and even 8k or higher video isn't that big in the long run. Videogames require full input most of the time and just half a second of buffering is the difference between life or death in some games and since most games are over 20 gb thats a lot of data to transfer and if your connection isn't perfect your experience will suffer.

1 minute ago, jgm4789 said:

Agreed, streaming works for music and movies because those are not interactive and its worst aspects(buffering, video and audio quality drops, ect.) are minor inconveniences at best as a 4 minute song or 22 minute episode doesn't take that much data and even 8k or higher video isn't that big in the long run. Videogames require full input most of the time and just half a second of buffering is the difference between life or death in some games and since most games are over 20 gb thats a lot of data to transfer and if your connection isn't perfect your experience will suffer.

We already do this with PS3 generation games on the PS4/PS5 consoles. What was PS Now that is part of the PS Plus subscription, but it's on the Premium package which means you have to pay more.

It's great if you want to revisit older games, not good if most every game goes this route.

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

i agree despite being young lol. i don't know what it is inside of me but i always want to buy the physical over the digital version. making a game digital only just means it will eventually bite the dust and no one would be able to experience it unless you had got it already (now some of the digital only games are well..... best forgotten, looking at you those breakthough gaming, journey games and jumping games) but with physical you can play it forever (well at least in theory). the only games that should't be physical are those online only games because they will eventually die, case in point BATTLEBORN was released physical and people brought it but now that the servers are dead, it's basically useless

On 9/29/2022 at 4:14 PM, DRY said:

Oh and am I the only one who remembers when Google promoted their Stadia controllers as “gender neutral” or some virtue signalling bullshit like that? Obviously there’s a lot of things either going wrong or have gone wrong for Stadia that don’t at all involve Google’s shady politics straight outta Cali’ but in my eyes, any company or product that does this kind of thing (you know, implying that video game controllers are a cause of oppression) automatically deserves bankruptcy.

Given that you're still whining about a shitty marketing ploy from three years ago, I think it's safe to say that you're the only person here being oppressed by video game controllers.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 3

On 30/9/2022 at 4:14 AM, DRY said:

Stadia going broke? About goddamn time!

570.jpg

Oh and am I the only one who remembers when Google promoted their Stadia controllers as “gender neutral” or some virtue signalling bullshit like that? Obviously there’s a lot of things either going wrong or have gone wrong for Stadia that don’t at all involve Google’s shady politics straight outta Cali’ but in my eyes, any company or product that does this kind of thing (you know, implying that video game controllers are a cause of oppression) automatically deserves bankruptcy.

Do you even reading comprehension? It was a specific color that was promoted as gender-whatever, not the controller itself.

• Like 3

Originally heard about this on the Hitman 3 subreddit, where some people are disappointed about losing all their progress in the Stadia version. While everyone should've predicted this outcome, I nevertheless feel bad for folks like them. At least IO Interactive is one of the developers looking into transferring progress to other platforms. Plus, customers will apparently be refunded for all hardware and software purchases, which is far better than I expected from Google.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2022 at 0:47 PM, LastMinuteSavior said:

1 more dispatched to the already extremely crowded Google Cemetery.

It's already at https://killedbygoogle.com/

These guys always have the best ideas.

I hate when they have brilliant ideas, then kill them for no reason, like this: gXqePl5.png

or this 0ioxxNL.png

The sad things is, if you bring up the topic of YouTube Streams, 99% of people will think you mean livestreaming or streaming music/video games. It's terribly sad that such an innovation is a forgotten relic.