Apparently, ps5 has been jailbroken

This is the same exploit that TheFlow found about a year ago. He then reported it to Sony and they patched it.

Allows the hacker to read game files and edit config files, but not execute arbitrary code. As far as trophy hacking goes, this likely gives hackers a way to edit save files right on the PS5 (not 100% sure about this though), but likely not much more (i.e., it doesn't seem like trophy auto-popping programs could be installed, for example, like old PS3 CFW stuff).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

Honestly never understood the point in jailbreaking, like I don't see the appeal. But I've also never had a reason to care and I'm ASSUMING this is what leads to hacked MP lobbies in games.... so fuck these people.

3x

It's really only useful if you want to play fan translations of games that never get released outside of japan

• Like 1

Let's hope game outlets don't make too much of a bomb about it and PS5's prices start to skyrocket even further because of it, Is already hard as it is to see PS4's marked ridiculously high on my Zone (between 400-450$) just because they're, supposedly, on the right version to be jailbroken

Edited by SaAlLoAg

12 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

Honestly never understood the point in jailbreaking, like I don't see the appeal. But I've also never had a reason to care and I'm ASSUMING this is what leads to hacked MP lobbies in games.... so fuck these people.

3x

If this allows running a pirated game, then piracy is the reason. Being from a country where 30 years ago non-pirated games were something that everyone has heard about but no one actually saw, if this makes your PS5 play free games, that's the point. 

But I have no idea if this allows running pirated games actually, so I may be completely wrong. 

40 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

They use it to play games for free (piracy). In my country pretty much everyone jailbreaked the PS1/PS2, but not in purpose; it was literally being sold in that state, along with illegal copies of the games. The 360 was the last console I remember being publicy jailbreaked, then in most third-world countries there was a change in the service and most people began to buy legal games.

Pc is a different story anyways.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skurkitty said:

Honestly never understood the point in jailbreaking, like I don't see the appeal.

Jailbreaking allows for people to use the system in ways unintended by the developer, if you had a Jailbroken PS4, you could install games through a 3rd party source or if you're a mega-chad you can install Linux-OS and play Halo on your PS4 like "SomeOrdinaryGamers" and LTT did the same thing but even was able to play an emulated version of Mario Cart with an Xbox controller.

And it shouldn't have to be said but obviously, if someone jailbreaks their device it's against the ToS of the Developers. But it can still be fun to see what people are able to do with devices and what unintended things they can do with them. That's the main appeal, obviously, though, there are malicious reasons people might want to jailbreak a device for piracy reasons or game hacking but screw them, they are just the standard people who come in and ruin the actual fun part.

19 minutes ago, TriadThunder-X said:

The manufacturer (sony) have designed their consoles and products with the sole intent of making money, not a pleasant experience. They don't allow you to use the product you purchased and own the way you wish.

Jailbreaking is great for those who wish to use a product they paid for, for other uses. Want to play PS1 titles on PS5 via emulation? Sure go for it. Rather than pay sony to play their 'classic catalogue' for titles that are long since expired.

I personally believe that you should be able to modify a product you own to form any function you wish, however as long as their is no malicious intent. Sony doesn't like this because they are greedy and will lose money on stuff like emulation, even though the IP sold 20 years ago.

Imagine you buy a car and the OEM tells you that you can only drive it the way they tell you to. What madness.

Based libertarian gigachad 

7 minutes ago, James Tiger said:

Oh no, is this mean it is harder to differentiate between real autopop and cfw autopop now ?

Lol we're screwed!

22 minutes ago, TheRetroManiac said:

Pretty sure I read that Xbox Series X has a Dev Mode feature you can buy into, and you can get access to all sorts of games from different consoles etc, and it's allowed by Microsoft, so using that as a basis on PS5 would be pointless.

Also, you can install emulators on it like RetroArch and run PS2 and Wii games 

2 hours ago, Skurkitty said:

3x

Homebrew

but as of now they can't hack on-line games for now