tips?

TomataEighty9

Has anyone got a tip for rivals?

I went from winning most my games online in fifa 19,20,21 and 22, but in 23, i win 1 out of 5 if im lucky.

I cant win to save my life.

I dont understand gameplay this year :o

Bonus info, im struggling like this in div 9.... DIV 9!!!! EA has royally fucked up gameplay. 

Defending this year feels like moving retards... Im almost considering quitting... So if anyone has a tip on how the hell i can play this game, please tell me :) 

Edited by TomataEighty9

Same i ended my last weekend league in Fifa 22 with 12 wins and lost in Fifa 23 in Division 10 8 from 10 Games and i am really not bad in Fifa. I am now in Division 7 and my tip so far is to focus far, far more of the defense and to make a 4-2-2-2 Tactic. Now Im focusing more of getting the trophies and platinum or start a little bit Offline Career. This fifa is extremely difficult for me. Glad you dont need wins or division 4 in Rivals :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

I went from winning most my games online in fifa 19,20,21 and 22, but in 23, i win 1 out of 5 if im lucky.

Bonus info, im struggling like this in div 9.... DIV 9!!!! EA has royally fucked up gameplay. 

Defending this year feels like moving retards... Im almost considering quitting... So if anyone has a tip on how the hell i can play this game, please tell me :) 

I am an elite player on rivals for every fifa but for this one i got up to division 4 and i just could not stand the game or players i was coming up against. Every match was like my opponents had a gun to their head. I ended up going afk and putting an elastic band on my controller for the final 30 matches to get milesstone 3 i just simply could not play the game any longer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Bandicoot93 said:

Same i ended my last weekend league in Fifa 22 with 12 wins and lost in Fifa 23 in Division 10 8 from 10 Games and i am really not bad in Fifa. I am now in Division 7 and my tip so far is to focus far, far more of the defense and to make a 4-2-2-2 Tactic. Now Im focusing more of getting the trophies and platinum or start a little bit Offline Career. This fifa is extremely difficult for me. Glad you dont need wins or division 4 in Rivals :D

It's sooo frustrating... 

I have played FIFA since 1997, and i have never been this frustrated. It's like it's not even FIFA. It's so different than 22, that it could just as well be another game. 

Im also glad there's no division trophy, but even the trophy for getting enough points for FUT qualification, can be a frustrating grind, if im gonna lose most my games :D 

at 5 points (in div 9), for a loss, 1250 point for qualification, im looking at 250 games where im gonna rage because this piece of shit game is not working for me... 

What really frustrates me, is i bought the ultimate edition, because i've really had fun in FUT in 19-22, and now im close to tossing the disc in the trash :( 

1 minute ago, aaroncharles said:

I am an elite player on rivals for every fifa but for this one i got up to division 4 and i just could not stand the game or players i was coming up against. Every match was like my opponents had a gun to their head. I ended up going afk and putting an elastic band on my controller for the final 30 matches to get milesstone 3 i just simply could not play the game any longer.

Im so glad to hear im not alone <3 

I think i might have to let the game rest.... Hopefully, if people complain enough, they might change the gameplay (they usually do every year). 

I just have to hope for that. 

In worst case, for platinum, ill do the same as you. But like i said, 250 games rubberbanding, that's gonna lead to a depression, so maybe ill not plat this trash :( Unless they make changes

Because it's the first week of the game, and the top tier players are climbing through the divisions. It's like this every year. Eventually, you will find your level and end up in the right division for your skill level - you just have to wait for people to catch up.

Division 4 at this stage of the game is very good - you'll be playing against players who will be division 1/elite standard. Some pro players are still in the division 1-3 playing against each other.

Game is very different this year and requires a change of mindset compared to previous few years of Fifa... meta changes so you have to adapt to how the game works. Make sure your players are on the right chemistry styles... don't use 'explosive' as right now it is broken and will be patched. Get your players on 'lengthy' or 'controlled'. Try out different formations and experiment with them, find a few that suit your style/players. 

The gameplay doesn't need a massive overhaul. Left stick dribbling needs to be improved and they need to fix the L2 outside foot shot which is definitely broken. It's good to see they made the bigger type of players useable this year but they need to make some changes definitely. Normally they do a big patch after release and make the game even worse, so let's not hope for that!

For me, I finished in elite last year. Right now I am in division 6 and it is tough. You just have to remember you're playing against other players who were also division 1/elite in previous Fifa games, so your games are not always going to be super easy just because you were a great player on a previous version of the game. 

Try to enjoy the game, learn from your mistakes and you'll improve and climb the divisions! Remember if the game isn't fun just stop playing and do something else with your time... games are meant to be fun after all.

Good luck out there!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Morphiar said:

Because it's the first week of the game, and the top tier players are climbing through the divisions. It's like this every year. Eventually, you will find your level and end up in the right division for your skill level - you just have to wait for people to catch up.

Division 4 at this stage of the game is very good - you'll be playing against players who will be division 1/elite standard. Some pro players are still in the division 1-3 playing against each other.

Game is very different this year and requires a change of mindset compared to previous few years of Fifa... meta changes so you have to adapt to how the game works. Make sure your players are on the right chemistry styles... don't use 'explosive' as right now it is broken and will be patched. Get your players on 'lengthy' or 'controlled'. Try out different formations and experiment with them, find a few that suit your style/players. 

The gameplay doesn't need a massive overhaul. Left stick dribbling needs to be improved and they need to fix the L2 outside foot shot which is definitely broken. It's good to see they made the bigger type of players useable this year but they need to make some changes definitely. Normally they do a big patch after release and make the game even worse, so let's not hope for that!

For me, I finished in elite last year. Right now I am in division 6 and it is tough. You just have to remember you're playing against other players who were also division 1/elite in previous Fifa games, so your games are not always going to be super easy just because you were a great player on a previous version of the game. 

Try to enjoy the game, learn from your mistakes and you'll improve and climb the divisions! Remember if the game isn't fun just stop playing and do something else with your time... games are meant to be fun after all.

Good luck out there!

Thanks for the long and comprehensive reply :) Much appreciated!

I didn't think about the fact, that even in DIV 9, i can still meet higher level players than me, since the game is still pretty new. The last 3 years, i have gone into rivals and champs, very late in the games cycle, so maybe thats why i didn't experience the high "learning curve", until now, since i got the game early this year. 

I just managed to play a good game (it turned out to be a good game), where i controlled the game for 30min, then my opponent scores 2 quick goals, and i get a red card. I manage to turn it into a 5-3 victory for me. 

In this game, i felt like the gamepley "worked" and my opponent didn't move like a GOD. 

The worst part is, i LOVE Fifa when it's good gameplay, and my opponents are not playing like 500IQ machines, and my team feels like a group of Harry Maguires :( Unfortunately, Fifa is just notoriously bad... Between the unstable servers, the pay to win (it's so obvious in early game, something i didn't experience before, since i got into it around new years, and by that time, the curve has flattened a little, and you can at least afford decent players), and the toxic community, FIFA is something that can really mess with your head :( 

I'll try and go for the last offline trophy i need, and a co op trophy, and also do some squad battles for objectives, and then i hope that rivals is better next week. Cause if i play more now, in this state, im tossing my ps in the trash.

32 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

Thanks for the long and comprehensive reply :) Much appreciated!

I didn't think about the fact, that even in DIV 9, i can still meet higher level players than me, since the game is still pretty new. The last 3 years, i have gone into rivals and champs, very late in the games cycle, so maybe thats why i didn't experience the high "learning curve", until now, since i got the game early this year. 

I just managed to play a good game (it turned out to be a good game), where i controlled the game for 30min, then my opponent scores 2 quick goals, and i get a red card. I manage to turn it into a 5-3 victory for me. 

In this game, i felt like the gamepley "worked" and my opponent didn't move like a GOD. 

The worst part is, i LOVE Fifa when it's good gameplay, and my opponents are not playing like 500IQ machines, and my team feels like a group of Harry Maguires :( Unfortunately, Fifa is just notoriously bad... Between the unstable servers, the pay to win (it's so obvious in early game, something i didn't experience before, since i got into it around new years, and by that time, the curve has flattened a little, and you can at least afford decent players), and the toxic community, FIFA is something that can really mess with your head :( 

I'll try and go for the last offline trophy i need, and a co op trophy, and also do some squad battles for objectives, and then i hope that rivals is better next week. Cause if i play more now, in this state, im tossing my ps in the trash.

Don't be too hard on yourself, just remember your opponents are going to be in the same position as you, trying to get high up the divisions and having the belief that they also deserve to be higher. In time the divisions will even themselves out and you'll end up in the right place, where you'll have some fun, even and balanced games I hope! Take a break when things get too much - maybe have a second game to play alongside Fifa :)

If you took a week off and came back to rivals, you'll probably find your games to be much easier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomataEighty9 said:

How good is your squad? Maybe that's part of the problem. Also, are you using custom tactics and players instructions that help your style of play? 

Silly question since you've been playing for years.. When defending, are you using L2 (jockey)? Are you keeping players in their position and moving the goalkeeper to cover the obvious corner that they will shoot in? I've played against many players who doesn't do this.

I'm playing same as last year, didn't get around to see new additions and it's working for the most part. Currently (15-2-4*) 2 of the losses because ea servers :/

One last thing, try to recognize the opponent play pattern. Many players are repetitive, so they will keep doing certain things and you can take advantage of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ItssMohammed said:

How good is your squad? Maybe that's part of the problem. Also, are you using custom tactics and players instructions that help your style of play? 

Silly question since you've been playing for years.. When defending, are you using L2 (jockey)? Are you keeping players in their position and moving the goalkeeper to cover the obvious corner that they will shoot in? I've played against many players who doesn't do this.

I'm playing same as last year, didn't get around to see new additions and it's working for the most part. Currently (15-2-4*) 2 of the losses because ea servers :/

One last thing, try to recognize the opponent play pattern. Many players are repetitive, so they will keep doing certain things and you can take advantage of that.

I do all the things you say :) 

And i had no problems in earlier fifa games. I've never experienced this before. 

My team is "ok", i have Ben Yedder, Varane, Kimpembe, to name some. 

But i don't have millions of coins (not gonna use sniping bots or put 1000's of $ into the game, so no Mbappe or Neymar, or players like that :D ) 

I might just need to get used to the fact that pace down the wing and cut backs, are not the style of play this year. Last game i played, i won, and i tried playing slower, with more passes and more in the middle. Seemed better. But defending is still not clicking for me, which is funny, since in 22, my best skill was defending :D 

I'll just keep playing, with breaks in between, and hope it gets better and suddenly click for me. 

8 minutes ago, DeadDexterous said:

I played 10 Div rivals matches for my son the other day. Won 8 lost 2 (Just to get him the weekly rewards).

I was using 3412 formation 2 CMS 1 CAM.

Focused on passing, this year seems more about passing and movement than pace (That could change as more cards come out).

Didn't use a any skills just quick passing & movement.

Didn't bother with flair shot or power shots just basic shooting aiming for the bottom corners.

We sold Son, Diaz & a few others to make a decent amount of coins.

My son has an 86 Van Nistelrooy up front with 85 Memphis Depay at the minute which is working well. Van Bommel as manager to boost Depays chem as the rest of his team is all a bit random right now.

Hope some of that helps.

I think you're right about the passing being the way this year. One thing is for sure, my pace play from 22, and playing on the wings, is not working :D 

Maybe my problem is that i never played rivals in the beginning of FIFA games. I always play offline for the first couple months, and by new year, i would head into online FUT. Maybe this gameplay and jankyness is normal this period of FIFA? :D 

• Like 1

This is my first FIFA/Football game ever, and I'm completely atrocious. I have now played around 20 Rivals games. Have 2 wins and 1 tie, all others I have lost. I barely get any FUT champs points needed for that one trophy(1250 points to qualify). 

I would just like to ask, will the FUT Champs points reset when the season ends? It's really painful if I have to grind the points fast if they reset at some point. I'm actually having fun building the team and playing co-op and SB, but I just hate playing Rivals with my skills. 

WTF is that trash??? I reached 1250 points and got no trophie. Now I need to earn it all over again. Oh my god. Someone else had that problem?

Edit: Ok so in the last Fifa games you got the Trophie right after reached 1250 points. It seems you have to complete a full new Rivals Game after the Fut Qualification. If a Bug or not its stupid

Edited by Mr_Bandicoot93

On 10/4/2022 at 6:16 AM, TomataEighty9 said:

at 5 points (in div 9), for a loss, 1250 point for qualification, im looking at 250 games where im gonna rage because this piece of shit game is not working for me... 

Haven't started Rivals or FUT Champions Qualifiers yet... but I'm not really liking that I've got to do 90 rivals matches for Milestone 3 and then potentially 200 qualifier matches within 35 days before it resets.  A little wary that I will get close and it will reset before I am finished.

Almost 10 matches per day to do both in one season which means no squad battles or other game modes for a while. I'm fine with playing the games, improving, and trying to win, but the looming reset countdown is a bitch.

6 minutes ago, pro_cow_tipper said:

Haven't started Rivals or FUT Champions Qualifiers yet... but I'm not really liking that I've got to do 90 rivals matches for Milestone 3 and then potentially 200 qualifier matches within 35 days before it resets. 

I heard from few friends, that the FUT Champions qualification points don't reset at any point, so you can take as long as you need to get the 1250 needed. I'm not 100% sure on that though. Would be nice if someone more experienced could confirm. 

As someone who is new to FIFA, I'm really liking the game in general, I just completely suck at Rivals...I have gone like 0-0-10 today in there despite of trying my best?

10 minutes ago, pro_cow_tipper said:

Haven't started Rivals or FUT Champions Qualifiers yet... but I'm not really liking that I've got to do 90 rivals matches for Milestone 3 and then potentially 200 qualifier matches within 35 days before it resets.  A little wary that I will get close and it will reset before I am finished.

Almost 10 matches per day to do both in one season which means no squad battles or other game modes for a while. I'm fine with playing the games, improving, and trying to win, but the looming reset countdown is a bitch.

It's the name of the game, and im usually fine with it. The number of games don't bother me, it's the fact that gameplay is so different, and it feels like the game is against me. I'll probably get around to it, no problem, but i really don't like gameplay this year (so far).

1 minute ago, FruityDream said:

I heard from few friends, that the FUT Champions qualification points don't reset at any point, so you can take as long as you need to get the 1250 needed. I'm not 100% sure on that though. Would be nice if someone more experienced could confirm.

I think this is true. In FIFA 20, i had played some rivals, and then came back waaaay later, and i think i still had my qualification points :) 

I think it's just the 90 games for milestone 3 rewards, that needs to be within a season. But yeah, it would be nice if someone who KNOWS, if it's true, could pitch in :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FruityDream said:

So, now that I've read it again, the Powerpyx guide does mention that the Rivals milestone resets but does not mention a reset on the qualifier points, so I'm thinking you are correct.  That's not too bad.

Haven't played hard since 2012 (some 2018 on the switch) and a lot of these modes are foreign to me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FruityDream said:

FUT Champs points/qualifications carried over on 22 season to season, so I'd expect the same on 23. I can't totally confirm as season hasn't ended to clarify everything is the same, but I'd be surprised if anything changes. 

Edited by Glorious Fury
  • Like 2

Best way to learn is to watch tutorial videos and also playbacks from good players. There are plenty of them on youtube.

But if you don't want to spend time I would name a few things I think important

• If you are playing on PS5 try strong players like Darwin Núñez, Adama Traore and of coz Haaland. They benefit from the acceleration system EA introduced to PS5. These strong players are (or can be) at the 'Lengthy' type which is the strongest one. You can change the players acceleration type by applying chemistry styles that increase strength e.g. using marksman on Adama Traore transforms him from 'Controlled' to 'Lengthy' which makes him absolute monster! You can check players acceleration type easily on FUTBIN.
  • Because of the above point defender feels much quicker and and trace back through balls easier than past FIFAs so don't spam it just coz you have someone fast.
  • When you are defending make sure you make good use of the 'Jockey' button and don't always commit.  Simple rule is opponent run you run if he doen't you just keep doing simple non sprint jockey.
  • Right stick switch - this is also one of the biggest skill gap distinguishing good and bad players. Right stick switch to CB/CDM to cut the passing lane then use 2nd man press to impose pressure; Right stick switch to CB to track the through balls etc.
  • Make the transition from back to forward fast. Get the ball to your forward as quick as possible then look for opportunities (one two etc.) especially when you are not the skill move god who can still beat everyone even when  all of opponents players back to their half .
  • Power shot is powerful. if you have no pressure from defenders you should try. Just rmb not to aim for corners, but the centre of the goal because the aiming is all manual.
  • Make sure you substitute players at 60-70 mins. One common mistake lots of players make is that they want to keep their best players on the pitch and refuse to do so. But actually running out of stamina will drastically harm the capability of the players in all aspects. Also this year you can make 5 sub so consider to be more aggressive in terms of pressing. 
Edited by m678hk0078
  • Like 2

I seriously must be one of the worst FIFA players ever. After around 50 games I have managed to get 7 wins...I really need to take a break from Rivals. I'm glad I'm at least fairly close to that Third Milestone-trophy, after getting that one out of the way, at least I can keep playing Rivals at my own pace with no worries about time limits. 

Now that I watched some recommended tactics and tutorial videos, I have maybe gotten a tad bit better, but still, to win I need to get really lucky, or my opponent has to be completely clueless about how to play. Never would have guessed this to be so hard. I'm quite decent at NHL, and games in general, but my Rivals career has really been one of the most demoralizing experiences I have ever had in gaming. 

I actually got a streak going the other day, and didn't lose a game for 10 games. But today is the same BS again.... I can't win the ball, every time i tackle, the ball bounces straight back to my opponent... When i pass, my players pass the ball directly to my opponent, and i can't win a game to save my moms life.. 

I luckily only need around 25 games for milestone 3, so i've begun playing with a rubberband on L2, and enjoying Youtube, while waiting for the game to be over. Im full AFK'ing rivals now.. 

This has for me been the worst FIFA ever, online wise. Gameplay is retarded, and the servers feel worse than ever. 

As soon as i get the platinum, im putting this retarded pile of crap to sleep :) Can't wait!

Im going to pass next year, when they make EA Sports FC, and wait for user reviews, cause this mess is making me regret buying it.