PlayStation Users May Soon Be Able to Have Other Players Complete Difficult Sections for Them

MonaSaxPayne

Sony patents a concept that, like many of their patents, may never materialize.

Blogspam rag takes editorial liberties.

Valuable Discussion™️ensues.

At the end of the day, if this feature does turn up in the future, it's not any different from handing off your controller to a friend. For an overwhelming majority, finding someone willing to do the hard part for you will be harder than just doing it yourselves. Any effect this would have on trophy hunting as a hobby is negligible.

• Like 2

If this becomes the new normal, having to do trophies yourself will be a thing of the past... sort of like finding collectibles without the use of the internet

I wonder if this will disable trophies? Then again, if this goes through the console and not the game, maybe not

• Like 1

Achieving a trophy that took time, patience and practice is a phenomenal feeling I wish I could bottle, the nerves and tension preceding it and the release when you've accomplished it.

The best part of trophy hunting in my opinion and being able to talk to fellow enthusiasts about it.

Getting someone to do it for you, deprives you of any real emotion because what can you feel or say? You didn't do it.

So in my opinion a new feature like this doesn't bother me at all, it shouldn't bother you either if you have no interest in it, you aren't losing out, not by a long shot.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TomataEighty9 said:

Objectively speaking. 

You don't understand the point of trophies? (also in real life). 

You are awarded a trophy for DOING something. It's your proof of achievement. 

What is the point of flashing something you DIDN'T do? 

I don't think you understand what im texting (or you choose not to, i don't know). 

I'm not gonna judge someone for doing this. Why would i care? 

I'm talking about the pointlessness of having trophies, if it's not YOUR work it shows off. But you do you :) 

If you find joy in flashing achievements you had no part in, go ahead. But then why don't you just hack trophies? or downright cheat? If you don't care about the work for the trophy, and you have no pride in your EARNED trophies, why even bother with this? Cheating would be much easier....

Real life is a PAY to WIN for the most part though...

P.S.

And somebody just had to bring soccer/football here to remind me about that France's World-Europe championship sham and why I'm not into watching it anymore...

Edited by VegaMan-X4

3 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

https://gamerant.com/playstation-patent-player-summon/?utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=GR-FB-P&utm_campaign=GR-FB-P

didn't see this posted anywhere.

I wonder if it will be locked behind a PS+ paywall like SharePlay 

Yup, they have to justify the ridiculous paywall somehow.

The vast majority of players dont use these features like game tips and share play. Its just there to distract us from the fact that we're essentially having to pay Sony an arbitrary tax to be able to play games online which arent made by Sony or hosted on Sony servers. It will all be ditched at the end of the gen like all the social crap they added to the PS4.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JediKnight_327 said:

It will all be ditched at the end of the gen like all the social crap they added to the PS4.

A lot of people acted like it was the new Facebook I bet they were depressed af when it shut down. I don't think this new feature will get to stay either.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not to get too technical, but surely the metaphor for boosting would be: if Ronaldo, Real Madrid and all 31 other teams agreed to play the the Champions League 32 different times, and each allowed one another to win once, then they would ALL get the trophies? ?

Not gonna lie, but I'd like to actually see that happen IRL if every professional sports team in a division for a season happen to have the same W-L records as each other. Be quite unprecedented for sure, but still possible, however unlikely, even w/o boosting.

Edited by KyonKuchiki

I always considered Share Play for a way to play versus mode with a friend in something like a fighting game while said friend didn't have that game. I personally don't trust someone on my PS on Shareplay because they can easily just delete important stuff on you like characters in FFXIV/Destiny that you spent thousands of hours on.

14 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Besides we already have SharePlay so I’m not sure why Sony needs to waste all these resources building a system like this.

Yeah, I think they will just recycle/rebrand SharePlay with a patent claim on top of that. xD

19 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Yeah, I think they will just recycle/rebrand SharePlay with a patent claim on top of that. xD

Yeah maybe. It’s a pretty strange idea though. There will always be a small number of masochists out there who will spend their time helping people with super hard stuff in games (ie. all the crazy Malenia ppl in Elden Ring who will solo her for you), but it’s hard to imagine any kind of system where large numbers of players are spending their time online just waiting around to be summoned into another players game so they can complete difficult sections for them. Especially in the trophy hunting community where such things are generally looked down upon. Who has time for that anyways?

It could really depend how it’s executed too. As it stands, SharePlay exists but is actually quite a pain in the ass to use which is probably part of the reason nobody does... The last time I used it was for the DLC trophies in Guacamelee that require a local co-op partner. I found a guy here on PSNP and we used SharePlay in order to get those trophies, but iirc there was a couple problems and some confusion getting it set up and working properly.

The article mentions Elden Ring’s co-op system as an example of how a new “SharePlay” system might work. Theoretically there would be certain checkpoints placed throughout games, probably before difficult boss fights or chapters or whatever, and players would be able to request help and have another player hop in and take over the controls. I don’t know whether you’d request help from a specific friend, or whether there would be some sort of “pool” of players out there from whom one would be selected and summoned into your game, but again it’s difficult to imagine this would even be successful and used often, if ever.

Total waste of resources if you ask me. ?

43 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

The article mentions Elden Ring’s co-op system as an example of how a new “SharePlay” system might work. Theoretically there would be certain checkpoints placed throughout games, probably before difficult boss fights or chapters or whatever, and players would be able to request help and have another player hop in and take over the controls. I don’t know whether you’d request help from a specific friend, or whether there would be some sort of “pool” of players out there from whom one would be selected and summoned into your game, but again it’s difficult to imagine this would even be successful and used often, if ever.

Total waste of resources if you ask me. 1f61b.png

how is this any different from summoning another player/friend to help u with a boss fight in demons souls? U don’t even need SharePlay for that. And I never saw anyone complain about that? Or demon souls plat somehow becoming devalued because of it 

1 hour ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

how is this any different from summoning another player/friend to help u with a boss fight in demons souls? U don’t even need SharePlay for that. And I never saw anyone complain about that? Or demon souls plat somehow becoming devalued because of it 

it's different because when summoning in souls games you actually have to put some effort into the boss fight yourself, (unless you summon a demi God who solos the boss for you) and it sounds like with this feature you are handing over controls to someone else to complete the boss fight for you without any effort required.

1 minute ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

it's different because when summoning in souls games you actually have to put some effort into the boss fight yourself, (unless you summon a demi God who solos the boss for you) and it sounds like with this feature you are handing over controls to someone else to complete the boss fight for you without any effort required.

What u just described is already available in SharePlay atm. Which isn’t what the patent seems to be showing 

Just now, MonaSaxPayne said:

What u just described is already available in SharePlay atm. Which isn’t what the patent seems to be showing 

Isn't it about having someone else complete difficult sections for them? Now of course idk what the person requesting assistance role in this is, do they do nada or do they participate in some way.