Need For Speed Unbound - December 2, 2022

Slava

Been waiting for EA to give another shot at a game like NfS Pro Street or - even better - for Codemasters to return to their glory days of TOCA games, but looks like I'm outta luck.

It's just GTA5-style multiplayer, bland and unchallenging gameplay and flashy art design from this point onwards.

But I imagine there's a loyal playerbase for this stuff.

I've always enjoyed a good arcade or simcade racer, but it has become hard to play this games for more than an afternoon. They just end up on my "unfinished" pile.

Still, thanks for the info @Slava

• Like 3

@LastMinuteSavior I haven't played NFS since Shift 2 and Codemasters games since Dirt 2 ?. But I like to keep up with what's happening to these series. Seems like people haven't been very excited about an NFS game in more than a decade.

@Apocasy Yeah, their Twitter is showing signs of life again, was just going to post this.

• Like 3

Need for Speed Unbound has been a hot topic of discussion following leaks of the game showing that the title will incorporate anime elements within the title. Fire, smoke, flames, etc. will all appear from the car as you drift, jump, and crash.

This is interesting, but I'm pretty sure it'll only be for the title. Now, how cool would it be to see a car racing game in anime style a la Auto Modellista?

As for Unbound itself, cool. Nice to see a new entry in the series. They have been spacing out new entries into the franchise quite well so I hope they're taking advantage of all this extra time to produce a great game. It's good seeing both Criterion and Codemasters directing this project. Pretty talented teams when it comes to racing games.

No love for the old-gen consoles, though. Sad.

Edited by Honor_Hand
  • Like 2

NFS used to be one of my favorite series, but I honestly think it's been missing something since Carbon. While I still have Payback and Heat to play right now, my lack of enthusiasm to jump into them has a lot to do with just not feeling it anymore. And while Criterion are a talented team (I still want a Burnout Paradise 2), their NFS games have to be some of my least favorite in the franchise...their games felt like something else entirely, not at all like NFS. I really didn't like Hot Pursuit, and Most Wanted was a joke compared to the 2005 masterpiece...didn't even touch Rivals. So hearing that they're back at it with this new one doesn't get me excited at all. I'm not going to completely write it off, a lot can change in developmental ideas in this time frame, but I'm cautious about this one. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Viper said:

NFS used to be one of my favorite series, but I honestly think it's been missing something since Carbon. While I still have Payback and Heat to play right now, my lack of enthusiasm to jump into them has a lot to do with just not feeling it anymore. And while Criterion are a talented team (I still want a Burnout Paradise 2), their NFS games have to be some of my least favorite in the franchise...their games felt like something else entirely, not at all like NFS. I really didn't like Hot Pursuit, and Most Wanted was a joke compared to the 2005 masterpiece...didn't even touch Rivals. So hearing that they're back at it with this new one doesn't get me excited at all. I'm not going to completely write it off, a lot can change in developmental ideas in this time frame, but I'm cautious about this one. 

I happen to be the exact opposite. The 2010 Hot Pursuit game was what got me into NFS, and the 2012 Most Wanted game was an equally fun time for me. Rivals was much less so, though.... and those are the only three I've played to date. 

Having now watched the trailer, I'm very..... "meh, okay whatever" about this one. I had more hype for Heat, honestly, before that too faded away before I could pick it up. Just my opinion, though.

• Like 3

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/10/need-for-speed-unbound-is-unlike-any-arcade-racer-youve-seen-before looks epic 

27 minutes ago, KenobiEagle said:

I happen to be the exact opposite. The 2010 Hot Pursuit game was what got me into NFS, and the 2012 Most Wanted game was an equally fun time for me. Rivals was much less so, though.... and those are the only three I've played to date. 

Having now watched the trailer, I'm very..... "meh, okay whatever" about this one. I had more hype for Heat, honestly, before that too faded away before I could pick it up. Just my opinion, though.

Undercover was a great game. Had it on 360 didn't realise servers were closing so its permanently stuck on

On 955gs now. Would love a sequel to that 

• Like 1

First I was like "where are these guys seeing the anime elements? All I see is doodles and cel shaded 3D characters from the early 2000's".

nfs_unbound.0.jpg

But then I remembered even japanese animation has been taken over by this type of cheap CG.

Cutscenes I don't like. But if the scribbles make it into the actual gameplay it might be a cool visual enhancement - if they don't overuse it.

Gameplay, gotta see gameplay.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 3

This game just screams 'meh', kinda just like how every other NFS game has been for the past decade. And what is the point of releasing a trailer for a racing game and not include any gameplay? 

I'd rather Criterion make a new Burnout game than NFS. Codemasters being involved doesn't do anything to improve expectations either. They've been on a downward trend just like NFS has been even before the EA purchase. Keeping my expectations low and best case scenario I end up pleasantly surprised. Kinda like how I was with Heat which I thought was easily the best NFS game of the past decade but that's not really saying much. Ghost Games finally figured out how to make a good NFS game and then they switch to a new developer immediately after. Just one more brilliant management decision by EA. 

• Like 3

Whoa, talk about a bold move here. I wasn't really expecting them to use go with a semi-anime art style for this game. It's definitely unique but it also looks kinda...odd. Not sure. It's not exactly the anime aesthetics I would associate with a racing game. That being said, it does look kinda promising. The team behind is talented with their racing games, so gameplay-wise, it'll most likely deliver.

It would have been nice to see some gameplay, though, especially if the game is launching in two months.

• Like 3

I'm very unsure about this, feel the trailer showed very little tbh. Also quite apprehensive about the art style and not sure why there's a big focus on whatsapp ricky in an arcade racing game.

of course as a loyal nfs fan it means i complain about most games in the series but ultimately play and enjoy most of them....

• Like 1

I don't mind if this art style is part of cutscenes...but I really hope that's not the case with the general gameplay. If so, I would expect this from some kind of indie racer trying to make it's name in the genre by doing something quirky, but I don't want that from NFS. Trailer is whatever, didn't do much of anything for me...not more or less interested than I was before. 

Edited by Viper