WE WILL NEVER ESCAPE OVERWATCH

Emmbea

Just now, EddieMenuek said:

He was named after somebody that had sexual allegations against them, so much of the community had just started referring to him as 'Cowboy' anyway and they announced earlier this year that he'd be renamed.

Oh damn, ok, that really was unexpected. Thanks for the info!

They will continue to keep updating this list now since the list is now merged with Overwatch 2 characters. Had to drag out my physical copy of OW1 only to realise OW2 is free to play and I download the client for the game on PS4 instead of PS5 to continue getting trophies for OW1. Way to make it super confusing ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Riiszk said:

They would release heroes every 3 or so months and then said they'd stop until ow2. They had gameplay trailers in Nov 2019 for ow2, nearly 3 years ago, and revealed Sojourn as well so ow2 was known well before even 3 years ago.

This is long ago, so I don't have links, but I recall knowing overwatch wasn't done by any means. What was commonly thought in the community was ow2 is just ow1 with pve. Which is true, but we didn't know it'd change this much, nor did we know ow1 wouldn't exist (transform into ow2). Expecting the game to be dead is a bit much when it was kinda clear that they weren't done by any stretch of the imagination. They only said they're done with heroes until ow2, everything else kept moving forward as expected. 

I understan but nobody knew it wouldn't be a separate list we just found that out so nobody could have planned on having to play the game past 2 years ago to keep their 100%

3 hours ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

I feel no bad for it, I keep coming back to DBD because I like this game.

well there are people who don't like going back, is that lost on you?  I was perhaps speaking about them.  You, i'm happy for you when dlc comes out for dead by daylight.

6 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

I understan but nobody knew it wouldn't be a separate list we just found that out so nobody could have planned on having to play the game past 2 years ago to keep their 100%

well there are people who don't like going back, is that lost on you?  I was perhaps speaking about them.  You, i'm happy for you when dlc comes out for dead by daylight.

You can’t please everyone, sadly.

1 minute ago, SaucyBrotato said:

Noob question, but given they've merged the trophy list on PS4, is it possible to even get the old trophies still?

From what I can tell, for the intents and purposes of trophies it's essentially the same game. New launcher but the PS4 launcher will still link to the existing PS4 trophy list.

4 hours ago, James Tiger said:

Can't you just go back and finished the rest of the trophies ?

I mean.. isn't this just another regular routine for every trophy hunter ?

When new DLC come out => Install back the game => Hunt all the new trophies => Uninstall. Done.

Back to 100% again. That's it.

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that some people just want to be done with a game? We don't want to have to constantly come back to get new trophies, we want to move on. Especially with Overwatch which has some of the most difficult and bullshit achievements. Like the newest achievement "Taking Charge" requires you to get the killing blow 4 times with the character's ultimate which after playing for a bit I've deemed incredibly difficult and luck dependent. Not only must you get 4 killing blows, but there are also only 5 players on each team, so you have to get 4/5, if your teammates kill 2 enemies during your Ult, you have to just give up for that attempt. Not to mention the enemies need to already have relatively low health, and there needs to be 4 of them grouped together in the first place. These crappy super luck-based trophies aren't fun, they aren't rewarding to complete. By the end, you just get lucky and feel burnout from the game or you boost it and go through that nightmare.

1 hour ago, SaucyBrotato said:

Noob question, but given they've merged the trophy list on PS4, is it possible to even get the old trophies still?

Yes, they changed a lot of the trophy requirements, but it hasn't been updated on the PS4 list I think. But the PS5 list shows the real requirements.

5 hours ago, Copanele said:

Also why is McCree called Cassidy on PS5 list? What kind of not-for-kids lore did I miss here?

One of the Devs of Overwatch was called McCree and the character was named after him. Later during the whole Activision-Blizzard scandal and lawsuit, the was one of the primary people called out for his treatment of female dev and employees, he was accused of sexual harassment and I think he was also accused of rape among other things. One of the employees even killed themselves due to the harassment which I think started the lawsuit to begin with.

Honestly, it was huge gaming news, and it was pretty recent, it's only been like 3 or 4 months since this all came to light.

12 hours ago, Copanele said:

As someone who tried to get the "Cratered" trophy legit for countless days before finally resorting to boosting....yeah ok I can understand where the OP is coming from 1f602.pngI just hope these new trophies aren't as absurd as the OW1 ones.

Also why is McCree called Cassidy on PS5 list? What kind of not-for-kids lore did I miss here?

The story behind the name change is that the Blizzard employee who was the inspiration behind the original character name (McCree) was in hot water in a sexual harassment lawsuit. It got so bad that Blizzard decided to rename the character from McCree to Cassidy.

I know people will refer to him as the former name, partly because of how we were so used to it or they don’t care. But I quickly adjusted by calling him Cassidy or Cass, for short.

16 hours ago, EddieMenuek said:

EDIT: Ignore this, I didn't realise that the Overwatch 2 list is just the same list but for PS5. So basically if I wanted to unlock any more trophies on the original list I'd just need to use the Overwatch 2 launcher for PS4 but it essentially acts as the same game. What this also means is that the original list will probably never stop expanding...

Thanks i wondered this as i just noticed that it now says overwatch 2 on my profile.

Never known a sequel like this. Very strange

15 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Thanks i wondered this as i just noticed that it now says overwatch 2 on my profile.

Never known a sequel like this. Very strange

Seems like the sequel development wasn't going to plan and thus the decision to make it an update on the original came to be. I think they continued with the name simply because they had already sunk cost into promotional material years ago so scrapping it now would have been a huge waste of money. Plus, it makes it seem like a new game to the uninformed, driving sales for the "release." I would be highly offended if this was done by another studio but Blizzard has a rep for ruining the trust of their fanbase in glorious fashion. I'm here for that 100% but if my past progression is lost because of carelessness, I'm fine not touching this game again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Phoenixgaming1 said:

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that some people just want to be done with a game? We don't want to have to constantly come back to get new trophies, we want to move on. Especially with Overwatch which has some of the most difficult and bullshit achievements.

THIS, this here is kind of the revelation we are faced with.

For me this a comment where somehow I 100% agree with and also 100% disagree with at exactly the same. And is honestly a big symptoms of the weird world we now live in. And the inevitable damage that achievements and trophies have done to our hobby.

Now I don't own this game but I am going to go out on a limb and predict that everyone angry about this decision, is/was a big fan of this game, at has at some point, and bought / starting playing the game because well it does look like awesome if I am being honest. It's a super hit game am I right?

I grew up playing games in the 80s and some of my childhood favourites, like Bubble Bobble and Double Dragon, I don't think I will ever get bored of playing them. Whether it's a combination of growing up in the 80s or the power of nostalgia, hearing those sounds, seeing those gfx. There is something about old games and perhaps pre PS3 games in general which I have a certain fondness. It's been a boon to own them on PS4 and get some trophies in half an hour, and then have access to them to play for fun on PS4 ever since then (along with many other arcade games)

However modern games are very different. I dare say like many of you in this current eco system. I find myself playing almost all games I buy way longer (and sometimes way shorter) than I probably would have done back in the day if they were say PS2 games, all because of trophies of course, and in the case of Overwatch where the trophies basically force you to play longer, harder than before, the inevitable chore because more apparent, and then you grow a hatred for the product. But then the trophies! They're not at 100% yet, gotta keep going.

I want to kind of berate and mock Pheonixgaming for being entitled, why would you hate a game you played so much you got 100% on it? More trophies more fun right?

But then I also feel the pain myself even though I don't own the game because I also know what it's like when this happens to me, but on a different game. In reality, we are playing games, why are we feeling this anger?

Which of course always make me want to take a step back and question why 80% or more of all games I have on my trophy list, I've had 99% great times, but I don't think I ever want to play most of them ever again. I've lost count how many games I instantly shut down / practically threw the disc across the room the moment the platinum popped.

Which is something I don't think I can think I can say I have ever done for my PS2, and PS1, Megadrive, Amiga etc.

It might be easy picking to mock the EZPZ crowd but I think all of us on this site we all suffer from similar purchasing and game playing decisions. This is where someone will inevitably just jump into the thread and even quote my comment and just say "Don't worry about the extra trophies, just get on with your life". And I would agree, but then, you know, you end up looking at the 93% (or whatever it is for people who own this game) Where does that phychological urge come from to try and get back to 100% ?

I would say, wouldn't it be nice if I was a Nintendo fanboy, surely those guys have yet to suffer from completionist-itis (I guess we should call it)

Of course Nintendo fans aren't without their own issues, it appears when their favourite game series does not get an announcement and people go ape-shit.

Achievements and trophies are certainly not the only single issue with current gen gaming, but I do wish there was an opt in so I could just decide to exclude myself from the trophies.

A bit like how Turrican Flashback is on PS4. I don't think I could care less about trophy points anymore, not by the time I time I have finished this post, you could have earned 8 stacks of the Jumping Turnips Turbo.

Just give me lists for games I really want to do, like Dynasty Warriors and Arcade games.

You know I am pretty sure in another reality I would have played Overwatch, I used to love deathmatch Doom and Duke Nukem 3D and Counter strike back in the day, but I am not good at these kind of games, I can't play them for long and I don't like online only games. If there wasn't such an investment to get the platinum I wouldn't have avoided it.

When a best selling competent game you own and love suddenly gets more content and you're angry about it, that's certainly a game design issue that has gone wrong somewhere, that's for sure.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

When a best selling competent game you own and love suddenly gets more content and you're angry about it, that's certainly a game design issue that has gone wrong somewhere, that's for sure.

The last paragraph was wisdom.

I hate to admit it (and of course every trophy hunter) but, from a general point of view, trophies/achievements have diminished the fun of this hobby.

It's been years since there are some games I'd like to play, I even bought an arcade emulator etc. but trophies are always ahead of anything. there's always a game, a server, anything that needs immediate attention and priority, and then the fun fades into the background.

for us "hardcore" Trophy hunters (I consider myself one, due to the vast financial investment and my own time with this hobby, as well as countless crazy things I've done for some trophies) is much worse. regardless of the leaderboard and culture surrounding this niche is currently collapsing, the urge to get trophies and hunt and this habit is never ending.

I find myself questioning how many more things I could do, or merely play games to relax and all. Trophies are a completely arbitrary thing to the game, any game can have a potentially hard or super easy platinum, they are goals that don't even need to make much sense in the game but that someone created and put them there to supposedly increase the fun. but I think like all things that are elevated to an obsessive level, this is what happens.