Trophies to Fight Cancer 2022

Has it been a year already? Damn, time flies. Fuck time too ? I'm in, though I'm not sure how many I'll do, considering my trophy whoring crisis and the general feeling of being burned out. Already scanning for shades of orange/pink but Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time seems more brown than orange. 

Not a great start I guess. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Has it been a year already? Damn, time flies. Fuck time too 1f642.png I'm in, though I'm not sure how many I'll do, considering my trophy whoring crisis and the general feeling of being burned out. Already scanning for shades of orange/pink but Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time seems more brown than orange. 

Not a great start I guess. 

Haha I agree with you ? Anyways, A Crack in Time is allowed. I see at least a shade of orange, and the color picker agreed with me.

4 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Today makes 3 months I lost my mother to cancer, I was with her from beginning to end, it was a very sad and tiring journey, something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, seeing topics like this always bring a tear to my eye1f61e.png

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've lost friends and family to different cancers too, but I can only imagine how hard it is to lose your mother that way. Stay strong, dude.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Today makes 3 months I lost my mother to cancer, I was with her from beginning to end, it was a very sad and tiring journey, something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, seeing topics like this always bring a tear to my eye1f61e.png

It really is tough to watch. My Uncle had cancer when I was in high school, and it was really tough to see him go through holidays without eating, watch him age rapidly from the chemotherapy, and when it got to his lymph nodes, he was unable to talk at all, his face was misshapen, and used a small whiteboard to have conversations... Sometimes, it was hard to keep a good poker face, when inside, I was crying for him. I think that was really the moment where it hit me that this was going to kill him. Definitely wouldn't wish it on anyone. It was hard on everyone to slowly watch him die in front of us.

Not sure if this story really did anything for you, but just know that I empathize with you and wish you the best as you recover from your loss. :)

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 4

If you don't mind me doubling up a bit with the Fall 2022 Backlog Challenge, I'll participate with Steven Universe: Unleash the Light. I believe it's the correct color, very specifically being a highlighted rose pink.

For my part, I've had two family members pass from cancer. My cousins both did at different times. The older brother smoked all this life, but he didn't like the filtered stuff. He'd drive out to the farms and buy tobacco there, then roll and cut his own cigarettes. Didn't like the idea of pumping "preservatives and stuff" into his lungs. "Plus", he'd tell me, "nothing beats the real thing. This comes from the earth, not a lab." I still carry that sentiment with me. I don't smoke, but I grow my own tobacco plants. The smell of the real stuff is rather soothing and it's a lovely plant as well. As it happens, of all his life long smoker friends, he was the only one to get cancer. I remember he found that a little funny when he was told. From there to the end, he took it all in stride, smile on his face until the end.

I tried to help look after him, but he lived a city away and some of our elders were having their own health issues. After the end, my other cousin, the younger brother, took ill really hard. Turns out he was diagnosed with bile duct cancer nearly a year before hand and had been forcing himself through it to keep the family going. With is brother gone, he finally relaxed. Cancer took him a month later. This one wasn't peaceful, though, no smiles. I'd taken care of people in various stages of advanced illness for most of my life, but nothing really prepares you for watching someone waste away so quickly.

• Like 3

@kindajustin First thanks for hosting this event in lieu of Grave. I know this cause is close to him (actually both of us) and I am pretty confident I can say how happy we are about someone picked this up. I can also attest to work kicking him in the ass at the moment :shakefist:.

I want to join the event and donate, but I want to know how "strict" you are going to be before committing an amount for donation. I can admit @Beyondthegrave07 and I were pretty lax in last year's event and while I was happy to donate last year's amount I wasn't exactly expecting that high of a number. Luckily I was/still am in a good financial position to make donations but humor me on my ask.

So with that being said, tell me if the below works for either color (or both if possible). No pressure on yes or no, that doesn't change me not donating and you aren't going to hurt my feelings if you say no. I'm also not going to argue about it either. You and anyone who you deem as judge is law of the event in my book.

La9cfd3.png

+@Valzentia if you want both want to discuss about this.

• Like 3

Seeing other peoples badges of this event specifically made me wanna participate in these charity events, happy to get the opportunity to do it this time around ?.

I've worked in cancer wards and I know that they can and do help, I was absolutely convinced one teenage boy had passed away when he left during my week off, and when he returned while I was on shift, I had to hide my smile of relief. I'll donate something, not confirming the amount yet though.

• Like 2