Special Portals Tracking

So, I just completed my first world of special portals with Riku & Sora. I've now got 6 left...my question is what's the quickest method to find the next open special portal? Sadly special portals don't lock according to order excluding portal 6, so I have to roam between maps locations and sometimes I'd find they aren't even set in any location and it would take me constant dropping to check whether portal 1, 2, 3 4 or 5 has unlocked.. 

This took me 4 hours of my time just for one world, surely there's a quicker and reliable way to find the next special portal? I heard maybe dropping to another map with a different player might help spawn the special portal as a guarantee for one of the map locations. 

Edited by Xionzenn

• 1 year later...

You can check what Special Portals are available on the Drop screen on the World Map. On the forecast screen it will tell you the Special Portal you'll get. It'll be greyed out with a question mark if you haven't completed it yet. If you've done it already it'll say "Done". You can also check which ones you've done in the Game Records section of Reports. 

It'll also tell you what the creature is so you could refer to the guide to tell you exactly where the Special Portal location is in the world so you're not just blindly searching and wasting time. Some of the portals are in tricky spots where they don't even show up on your map until you're right on top of them so be aware of that. There's one in the Country of Muskateers world that's tucked away in the Machine Room next to a chest inside a separate room on the map that took me forever to find. The portal doesn't show up on your map until you're inside that little room with the chest so it's extremely easy to miss it. It's best to work on them as they become available in all the worlds at the same time instead of just focusing on one world to be most efficient. Start with Sora and do all the ones you have available on the World Map and then switch to Riku and do as many as you can for him and just keep switching back and forth since it's random which ones you'll get. 

Once you get down to the last few, it can take many drops to get the last one you need. I ended up having to do like 20 drops just to get the last portal I needed for The Grid to spawn alone. It's incredibly dumb since you're totally at the mercy of RNG to spawn you these randomly spawning portals and the one you need is seemingly never the one the game wants to give you so you have to keep mindlessly dropping over and over. Just not a fun a mechanic to deal with, no wonder people don't really go for this games platinum compared to other KH games.