Here's the name for this genre...

Pneumatic

These games and the people who play them should be called out for. Every time. As it was mentioned, this hobby has some sort of ground rules. Sure, everyone has it's own boundaries or ideas of trophy hunting but these kind of trash games have nothing to do with that original hobby and of course people care about what others play.

First of all, this is a trophy site and secondly, most of the people around here have their trophy card in their signature! So, you want to be compared to others and and you want people to check out your profile for various reasons. Heck, this can lead to very interesting exchanges under "normal" conditions. A high number in % or number of platinums will make people click on your card but if it turns out that all of your games are trash, most people will know that you are into this hobby for the "wrong" reasons. No one takes these numbers seriously in a hobby where the community gave platinum trophies a value. You are the kind of people taking that value away or even worse, didn't even get that value in the first place.

Trophies always functioned as gatekeepers and if I am honest, it was always an elitist hobby. A hobby which some people never got and where they will never fit in, no matter how many trophies they buy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm genuinely thinking about it, and I can't honestly recall any situation in which shaming people for partaking in a practice has been a successful path to discouraging it.

Maybe drink driving? ?

That's the closest I can reasonably think of, but even then - that took decades to become as shunned and scorned as it is now - and it's still a problem anyways - just not quite as much as it once was.

If people really do want to discourage folks from feeling like they "need" to play this kind of vapourware, (and some do,) I really don't think shunning /scorning / shaming them is the answer, nor do I think you're going to have much luck with attacking people (or the developers) constantly in forums like this one.

Taking that kind of approach only places people in a defensive and combative position - a "Fuck You - I'll play what I want!" mentality...

...and honestly, not an unwarranted one.

Shaming as a "gatekeeping tool" rarely results in a healthy community.

If people really do want to discourage engagement with these games:

• Give rep for folks posting about good games!
  • Discuss good games at length!
  • Encourage folks to try good games you loved, and give them some help and pointers to get started.
  • Don't look down on an Easy-but-Quality game, and don't only recommend Hard-as-Nails games to people.
  • If you see someone playing a game you loved - talk about it with them... 
  • ...and if you see someone playing silly vapourware game like these ones, don't look down your nose at them - if you engage, engage positively! Maybe recommend a good, easier game they might like, and could be a gateway out of the cycle.

• Don't look down on someone for giving a good game the old collage try, and not managing to platinum it - Don't value completion percentage on a profile, over variety and quality.
  • Don't encourage Leaderboard Ranking to be a valuable metric - there's so much more to trophy hunting - and to gaming - than a points total!
  • Don't continue to propagate this insidious notion that a high completion percentage is the be-all-and-end-all of a quality profile - let people try harder games and FAIL, without feeling bad about it. Trying is good, and failing is noble if you did.

Making people feel like they are "outsiders", "poisoning" the community will ONLY push them away, and entrench and bolster their current views and resolve.

It only cements difference.

This is a community - and making people feel included, and a part of it is far more likely to shift opinion as a collective.

To a large extent, these kind of games only exist as direct result of some of the gatekeeping elements we ourselves created in the trophy hunting community in the early days.

The focus on completion percentages.

The focus on Leaderboard positions.

The focus on getting through games fast, and racking up completions.

"Shaming" folks who didn't measure up in those areas pushed more and more to quicker, easier games. It created the perfect fecund ground for these kind of games to grow.

When a problem is born out of a particular behaviour or attitude in a community - you can't solve it by doubling down on that same behaviour.

You have to look at the root causes, and address those.

A lot of good things have been said in this comment, but I want to reiterate that we need to devote our energy to outside media sources if we want to see these “games” stop being published. No one asked for these games, but as soon as the first one appeared and someone bought it, whatever publisher or developer made that game knew they were sitting on a gold mine. As long as people continue to buy these games, they will continue being made. We cannot shame people into spending their money differently, but we can utilize things like Twitter, YouTube, and various external connections to try and prevent them from being available to buy. We can create endless threads on a daily basis, but as you can see it isn’t helping.

Edited by VoidVictorious
  • Like 1

In defence of Rat platinums, they are nice indie games. The platinum requirements were mega lowballed but they did require some understanding of mechanics and time investment. Trophies aside, I used to spend a lot of time looking at lesser known indie games on the store but since the store updates and the flood of shovelware it's been hard to have discovery rewarded on PSN. This also happened to the MS, nintendo and steam storefronts and I (I imagine indie devs also) hate the lack of curation.

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm genuinely thinking about it, and I can't honestly recall any situation in which shaming people for partaking in a practice has been a successful path to discouraging it.

Maybe drink driving? 1f914.png

That's the closest I can reasonably think of, but even then - that took decades to become as shunned and scorned as it is now - and it's still a problem anyways - just not quite as much as it once was.

If people really do want to discourage folks from feeling like they "need" to play this kind of vapourware, (and some do,) I really don't think shunning /scorning / shaming them is the answer, nor do I think you're going to have much luck with attacking people (or the developers) constantly in forums like this one.

Taking that kind of approach only places people in a defensive and combative position - a "Fuck You - I'll play what I want!" mentality...

• Encourage folks to try good games you loved, and give them some help and pointers to get started.
  • Don't look down on an Easy-but-Quality game, and don't only recommend Hard-as-Nails games to people.
  • ...and if you see someone playing silly vapourware game like these ones, don't look down your nose at them - if you engage, engage positively! Maybe recommend a good, easier game they might like, and could be a gateway out of the cycle.

• Don't look down on someone for giving a good game the old collage try, and not managing to platinum it - Don't value completion percentage on a profile, over variety and quality.
  • Don't encourage Leaderboard Ranking to be a valuable metric - there's so much more to trophy hunting - and to gaming - than a points total!
  • Don't continue to propagate this insidious notion that a high completion percentage is the be-all-and-end-all of a quality profile - let people try harder games and FAIL, without feeling bad about it. Trying is good, and failing is noble if you did.

Making people feel like they are "outsiders", "poisoning" the community will ONLY push them away, and entrench and bolster their current views and resolve.

This is a community - and making people feel included, and a part of it is far more likely to shift opinion as a collective.

To a large extent, these kind of games only exist as direct result of some of the gatekeeping elements we ourselves created in the trophy hunting community in the early days.

"Shaming" folks who didn't measure up in those areas pushed more and more to quicker, easier games. It created the perfect fecund ground for these kind of games to grow.

When a problem is born out of a particular behaviour or attitude in a community - you can't solve it by doubling down on that same behaviour.

This is the best comment I've read in years regarding trophy hunting culture. 

Playstation itself does not have leaderboards for us to be bickering about who has the rarest trophies or the fastest platinums. 

There is a greater discourse here that @DrBloodmoney has already covered but we know these "games" are just here to stay.

• Like 2

Some of the "shovelware" games are actually really fun experiences IMO. There are quite a few Ratalaika games and such that I really enjoyed playing (Inksplosion, and League of Evil to name a couple), even if they were a bit short in terms of the hours needed to platinum. I also just started one of those POWGI word games, and found it fun to play in between games, solve a puzzle here and there.

I do think it's objectively lame for the developers to essentially cash in on brain dead platinums by pumping out asset swap variations of games, period. It's almost never a good thing, let alone with super simple games like this, but there's clearly a market and they're just taking advantage of it.

I'll personally never drop money on them because I don't think holding the cross button for 4 minutes is fun, trophies or not -- but all of that is relative! If someone wants to play something like this, I personally don't care because I know I wouldn't want to spend my time that way. At the end of the day, no one is robbing you of your personal gaming achievements by playing these games, unless of course, you're hyper-focused on leaderboard activity :lol: 

Since we're a community of trophy hunters, we're going to care when something comes along that's flatout bogus, or feels like we're being taken advantage of, but that's true in literally any hobby.

Although it's useless to say, I wish people would stop buying into them so they'd stop making them because I hate seeing 14 versions of the same game plague the "New Trophy Lists" for days.

• Like 1

On 9.10.2022 at 10:42 PM, Helyx said:

Imagine caring what someone else thinks of your hobby.

You just "wasted" time, replying to a post, about caring about what others think about what others do as a "hobby". Now that's META ?

You apparently care about what the OP cares about, what others care about ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Camokidd87 said:

These games made me quit trophy hunting. I played alot of fantastic games and i played alot of shit games. I reached 16 on usa leaderboard and then the cheap sholverware became so overloaded that i just quit. It really made me realize that theres no point in competing on the leaderboards because the only way you can keep up is if you buy everyone single one of these crap cash for trophies games from every single region in a daily basis.  And i did for a while. Theyre not even games its just trading cash for trophies that require no effort. For the amount of money i paid for this dog shit i could of enjoyed every AAA game i could of wanted. It was fun getting points and climbing the ranks but these crap games that arent even games have completely ruined it. I quit cold turkey and im never going back. I had more fun playing farcry and muramasa the past 2 weeks than i did getting 2k plats in the past year. But whats done is done. Either it was going to be pour money down the drain every day of my life to see a number next to my name on a website or go back to enjoying real games. Im just happy that i broke the habit and went back to just playing games i enjoy. The point system is completely pay to win now. And its honestly unfair that someone could spend 3 months completeing a fantastic challenging game and some 3 year old could buy a sheep game and get more points in 4 seconds. I regret getting sucked into it but im happy im out. 

That’s great man!

I don’t know Muramasa myselfbut Far Cry 4 is a good one - I went back and had a blast on it not that long ago and it still holds up - my favourite of the series, for sure that map is ace, and Pagan Min is a hell of a villain! ?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Maybe drink driving? ?

I unfortunately agree with basically everything you wrote.

The way I look at it, shaming these games and the people that play them is the only "power" people goong against this have. That includes me. Voting with your wallet is of course the best and only effective way of dealing with these pieces of shit, however that has clearly proven not to be enough and people who want the number of platinums to "mean something" don't have much recourse, so it has resorted to this.

It's honestly a sad state of affairs that the community is divided like this.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

There are EZPZ URs, and I'm rather ashamed to have one on my profile from my time in team trophy hunting events, but even the easiest URs are still magnitudes harder than any 80-90% platinum. Rarity is not and will never be a direct parallel to difficulty, but it does correlate.

I'm curious as to what an "EZPZ Ultra rare" game is, I have 13 URs and I'd say I found 3 of them to be easy (Playstation Move Heroes, Iron Man VR and somewhat Everybody's Golf) but I wouldn't call them EZPZ.

On a differing note, I have games above 80% platted rate, that I wouldn't label as "EZPZ" like Jazzpunk and Donut County.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Camokidd87 said:

These games made me quit trophy hunting. I played alot of fantastic games and i played alot of shit games. I reached 16 on usa leaderboard and then the cheap sholverware became so overloaded that i just quit. It really made me realize that theres no point in competing on the leaderboards because the only way you can keep up is if you buy everyone single one of these crap cash for trophies games from every single region in a daily basis.  And i did for a while. Theyre not even games its just trading cash for trophies that require no effort. For the amount of money i paid for this dog shit i could of enjoyed every AAA game i could of wanted. It was fun getting points and climbing the ranks but these crap games that arent even games have completely ruined it. I quit cold turkey and im never going back. I had more fun playing farcry and muramasa the past 2 weeks than i did getting 2k plats in the past year. But whats done is done. Either it was going to be pour money down the drain every day of my life to see a number next to my name on a website or go back to enjoying real games. Im just happy that i broke the habit and went back to just playing games i enjoy. The point system is completely pay to win now. And its honestly unfair that someone could spend 3 months completeing a fantastic challenging game and some 3 year old could buy a sheep game and get more points in 4 seconds. I regret getting sucked into it but im happy im out. 

I feel this. 

I've never been a trophy hunter as such. I always just played what i wanted, but i've been addicted to getting trophies. 

Luckily i never got into the shitty EZPZ "games", and now i just do games and plats i really like and want :)

No hate on people who wanna do the EZPZ road. Whatever makes you happy :) 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DeadDexterous said:

How is anyone going to reach and convince Playstation users to collectively stop buying these games if the first thing they see is people calling their account names, disrespecting their trophies & saying they should be called out as people? There's nothing productive can come from the current approach.

just so we're clear did someone call you out and personally disrespect your trophies and call you out personally?  Or did you happen onto a thread that has a negative outlook about the types of games you choose to play and you got offended?  There is a big difference.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

in the beginning and for the most part now people aren't badgering people who play those games.  People are badgering the games themselves and the people making them, Sony for Allowing them, This website for rewarding them.  I have never seen anybody go out and attack somebody for playing them.  What does happen though is people who play them engage in these threads with all their unreasonable and poorly though out excuses for why they engage in this side of the hobby and they are met with debate and critique.  eventually they get mad and say they are being attacked when in reality they engaged theirselves in a loosing debate they can't possibly win.  They can't possibly win the debate because their arguments are so unreasonable.  

Maybe supporters of these game types would serve their purpose more efficiently  by starting a thread about what a great addition shovelware games are to gaming.  List reasons they benefit the average gamer.  Give examples of how they improved their life, examples of hidden jumping hotdog gems we all may be missing out on.   Ways in which these games improve Sony's image and the store front.   Problem is they can't list anything positive about those games besides they're fast platinums.  They can't even tell you the games are good.  They couldn't list one reward one of these game received. 

Nobody does any of that, instead they come on our threads and argue with us and get all mad when we don't buy the reasoning behind it.

this simply isn't true

very recently, in some other thread that has since been deleted, 2 different ppl who play these "shovelware" games said that they play it because:

1. they want to compete on the leaderboard and the only way to effectively compete is to play them 

2. they actually enjoy them

a LOT of ppl immediately started telling them that they were lying and the games are shit and there is nothing to enjoy. which is absurd. just because 1 person doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean that someone else can't

I've also seen MANY times that @tonkie18 will make a post about something random, and someone else will just derail whatever she was talking about by personally attacking the types of games she has played... there was also a big thread about this that has since been deleted or locked I think

maybe YOU don't personally attack ppl who play these types of games.. but it happens a lot 

lastly, why do u and so many others feel that ppl need to justify to u why they play what they play?

• Like 2