PSNP now has to do this to keep being #1 Trophy website...

1 minute ago, steel6burgh said:

the mindset is if it takes effort  it's not worth doing.

Hell - effort schmeffort.

I'll settle for just "is it fun?"...

...but we'll still end up at the same conclusion:   

that holding X and watching a cartoon sandwich bounce up and down against a static background isn't worth anyone's time. ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hell - effort schmeffort.

I'll settle for just "is it fun?"...

...but we'll still end up at the same conclusion:   

that holding X and watching a cartoon sandwich bounce up and down against a static background isn't worth anyone's time. 1f602.png

yeah but if you were on a good acid trip, it might be a blast, who knows.

2 hours ago, HusKy said:

That's the nice thing about rarity leaderboard -- it's self-balancing.

If people start "spamming" easy yet rare trophies, they become less rare over time -> less points awarded. It's a pretty cool concept really. B)

Isn't that how the site works now? Or am I misunderstanding?

The most annoying part about these 1 minute platinum trash is that it fills up the psn store. It's worse than android and iOS and that is saying something.

I hate these games as they are neverending and clog up everything. Also they are preying upon people who are addicted to trophies because the sheer volume of these games is now huge and it ain't cheap to keep buying them.

I also will never understand anyone who gets satisfaction from spending all that money on a platinum trophy requiring absolutely zero effort or skill. It's pointless, utterly utterly pointless.

For me more than anything I just think it's a sad state of affairs all round. People 100% have the right to spend their money on whatever they want but those that do should know they are in the very small minority and for most of us seeing these games clog up the psn store and this website sucks. Like really it sucks. I don't care about the leaderboards at all, these games still suck.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Ultraxian said:

Isn't that how the site works now? Or am I misunderstanding?

It was about the argument that people can start "spamming" easy rare trophies -- sure they can but that would lead to rarity decrease which in turn would reduce points granted for that particular trophy. Some people seem to not realize that.

No, this site isn’t number 1. It’s filled with toxic and narcissistic people. Even though the site itself isn’t bad per day the community ruins it, at least in the forums part. Everyone being so entitled thinking they’re above everyone else. Psn trophy leaders is the number 1 trophy site, not only has more features, everyone is welcome and friendly there. 

On 10/12/2022 at 3:12 AM, MD_91 said:

It's best to just enjoy PSNP for what it is and ignore the leaderboards if you don't like them as it seems pretty obvious at this point that there's never going to be any big changes made to the site

That’s what I try to do. Not perfect, but for its flaws, it’s still a good site.

16 hours ago, bosstristan said:

You're talking about leaderboard, but I was thinking more of a special badge displayed on the player's profile, or something that would show the user that this profile is "a cheater or, an EZPZ player OR a regular player OR a "hardcore" player" etc.

I assumed it was for the leaderboard because in all honesty, implementing it on player profiles is a bit redundant. It usually takes a second or two to idenfity the kind of gamer someone is by opening his profile, not 100% reliable with the first look but if you do just one click to open the stat page then you can tell what that player is all about. EZPZ players are easily identified even without stats, anyone having nearly as much gold as silver is definitely one, many of them have more gold than silver, and the most extreme ones actually managed to get more gold than even bronze. Not that I would be against having badges reflecting someones playstyle, even if they are likely to not always be accurate, but like I said, the gain is pretty small.

15 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I didn’t actually - I very deliberately left any actual comparisons out…

you drew that comparison.

Which sort of confirms that you think it’s at least somewhat comparable, given that you came to that conclusion.

Also there’s a massive difference between my voluntarily displaying a badge from a community event I chose to participate in…

…and a scarlet letter applied by someone else, against my will, identifying me of “less pure trophy hunting stock” because I’ve played a Ratalaika game.

Man, I like you and I know you are not actually that dense, so cut the bs will you?

You knew exactly what people would picture in their head when you write it out like that, coming to that kind of conclusion has nothing to do with it being a comparable act in the least, you can apply that sentiment to most concepts and instantly make people think about that era, because comparisons to it have been ridiculously overused for just about anything, it is the default for many such comparisons because people just love to make the most overdramatic one they can come up with.

We get labeled with stuff we did not really agree to participate in anyway. I recently figured out that my profile got a silver hexagon due to my level, not a plat like many others got, just a silver because my profile level is in the 300s.

s/ I never agreed to partake in that, and yet here my favorite entertainment system is telling me that I am worth less than the ones with lvl 1000+, as they got a platinum badge and I merely got a silver hexagon. It gets worse though, consider this, when I ultimately reach the 600s I will get a literal gold star against my will, being forced to carry it around on my profile, everyone being able to point and laugh at it. Oh where in history did we see people being labeled with an unwanted gold star to carry it around again? Yeah, thats low, which is how I feel with my gold star!

/s

For the really dense ones, yes I am obviously kidding to make a point. Making such comparison with any degree of seriousness is an insult to the actual victims of that era if you ask me, though I know you did not mean it that way, you just wanted to take the piss out of someone posting an idea you didn't like, though I know you can do better than that. Also remember this, cheater and ez player badges would not tell us anything that we can't already see that without a badge, which is why I deem these unnecessary, but I would not go as far as compare it to crimes against humanity ?

12 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Sadly we don't have downvotes here...

Some people regularly have meltdowns around here for others not blowing sugar up their rear ends all the time, viewing themselves as victims who are under constant attack. Imagine how they would screech if dozens of downvotes accompanied that, they'd likely have a full mental breakdown. Not that I would care but still, that would mean a lot of drama and fighting before things calm down again.

7 hours ago, fisty123 said:

Everyone now talking about how rare a trophy is and getting leaderboards for this, however the rare system is still not great.
If an unpopular game takes 150 hours and is a solid 8/10 difficulty plat it but only has 200 gamers listed the game is normally sitting 30+ completion rate yet a game that was offered on PSN+ only takes 30 hours to pass and has a 3/10 difficulty it will be sitting with a lower rarity rate because it has more gamers who started the game, being a rare trophy is not always the best way to view what should be classed as a real game or not.

The rarity system is not a super reliable way to measure a games worthiness I agree, I have seen easy very rare or ultra rare games and hard uncommon games, not to mention how some really hard but obscure games may end up as common if only dedicated people buy it or games artificially being pushed down in rarity due to being free. What is suggested though is not to use it to categorize many different stages of value, it is to use it to filter out the garbage coming from non games that are purely made for addicts to get their fix and artificially boost their numbers, and for that I'd say it would be a massive improvement given that they all creep around in percentages so high that most normal games never reach them. Is it perfect? Hell no, but when trying to fix an issue you do not always have to go from broken to perfect in one step.

2 hours ago, ViensDanser said:

I highly doubt that people are motivated to play boring 2/10 games for 35-50h to have a 0.20 and be competitive
 in the rarity leaderboard

Yeah, because playing the 200th stack of jumping food X or click on animal image Y is so much more thrilling and exciting?

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, DeidaraSasori said:

No, this site isn’t number 1. It’s filled with toxic and narcissistic people. Even though the site itself isn’t bad per day the community ruins it, at least in the forums part. Everyone being so entitled thinking they’re above everyone else. Psn trophy leaders is the number 1 trophy site, not only has more features, everyone is welcome and friendly there. 

I like to see where I am on the different leaderboards on there sometimes but the last time I looked at the forum it seemed pretty much empty? None of the other sites have a community anywhere near as big as this one, playstationtrophies used to be pretty active but I'm guessing a lot of people moved here because of the better layout and features

I don't think any of the other sites do anywhere near as good of a job with site/profile layout as this one does and that's with this site not getting any real updates for however many years now

17 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

Man, I like you and I know you are not actually that dense, so cut the bs will you?

You knew exactly what people would picture in their head when you write it out like that, coming to that kind of conclusion has nothing to do with it being a comparable act in the least, you can apply that sentiment to most concepts and instantly make people think about that era, because comparisons to it have been ridiculously overused for just about anything, it is the default for many such comparisons because people just love to make the most overdramatic one they can come up with.

I think you are confusing comparative applicability of an idea, with comparative severity of consequence.

The best way to never learn a lesson from anything, is to refuse to recognise similarities of concept, by focusing only on the severity of specific application and results.

Saying "comparing those ideas is disrespectful to the victims of the compared situation" is the go-to, textbook, politicians excuse for never learning from anything, and repeatedly applying bad ideas to new situations - big and small. 

Recognising that an idea is bad in concept - even when applied to a frivolous situation - by looking at extreme examples of its misuse in dire ones -is a valid form of cognitive and logical reasoning. It's one of the backbones of discourse and debate.

In the particular case of the post I quoted, I felt the comparison of concept was apt, regardless of the difference in significance of the actual application and effect.

As, I would argue, did you - since you were able to easily infer my meaning.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Even long-standing members don't see the truth.

Man, I am starting to think Sly is part of the illuminati. Wake up people!

"Truth no. 3: Matt has stopped active development years ago"

I dont know, maybe he is working on for example a rarity leaderboard and a lot of other improvements. But he sure doesnt communicate anything about it. 

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think you are confusing comparative applicability of an idea, with comparative severity of consequence.

The best way to never learn a lesson from anything, is to refuse to recognise similarities of concept, by focusing only on the severity of specific application and results.

You can find dozens of every day things that are vaguely similar of concept to vile and heinous things done throughout history, that does not mean it has anything in common with the rather specific things done to people in the past, aside from sharing the shape of a badge, or the act of labeling someone without asking him first. There are worlds between giving someone a badge he did not ask for that classifies him as a certain type of online trophy hunter, and giving someone a badge he did not ask for that will lead to him and his entire family getting killed, to even compare the two is in very bad taste, and that is saying something coming from me. You are also against the profile status being in bronze, silver, gold and platinum then I assume? Because the concept is similar after all.

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Saying "comparing those ideas is disrespectful to the victims of the compared situation" is the go-to, textbook, politicians excuse for never learning from anything, and repeatedly applying bad ideas to new situations - big and small.

Or maybe it is a way of saying that you are being ridiculously overdramatic with your comparisons and therefore people stop taking you seriously? Not to mention that some may actually get offended by it if they experienced anything of the sorts?

How about we keep the nazi Germany comparisons, open or veiled, to situations in which people are in actual danger of getting deported and killed after labeling as to not play down and devalue them further? During the recent lockdown vaccine debate in Germany we had people putting big stars on their chest with the word for "unvaccinated" on it, that is pretty much what you are doing right now, only that these people had much more of a reason for the comparison given that they complained about being excluded from daily life, instead of complaining about potentially getting an online badge they didn't ask for.

15 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Recognising that an idea is bad in concept - even when applied to a frivolous situation - by looking at extreme examples of its misuse in dire ones -is a valid form of cognitive and logical reasoning. It's one of the backbones of discourse and debate.

No, it is not valid, it is overdramatic, it is usually used as a tool for the inept who try to mask their lack of an argument by making wild comparisons and doomsday flavored predictions of where this concept could lead to. It is the exact opposite of what you claim, it is poison that often instantly turns a discourse or debate sour, never leading to any fruitful outcome.

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In the particular case of the post I quoted, I felt the comparison of concept was apt, regardless of the difference in significance of the actual application and effect.

As, I would argue, did you - since you were able to easily infer my meaning.

I was able to tell because guess what, it is the go to comparison to kill a discussion. I already told you that there are dozens of ways to make someone think of that era, most of which have nothing to do with what was done in that era. All I see is that I definitely misjudged who you are, because honestly there are some people I really disrespect on this site, but I would have even given the one person I respect the least here the benefit of the doubt that they are better than this, yet here you are, setting new standards. Or are you just trying to get this thread closed intentionally?

16 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

But this will continue for the sake of continuing.

I mean, I see you in pretty much every topic with the same "all is pointless, you are all wasting your time, stop posting" shitposts, so are you really any better? Would you prefer if we just limit ourselves to post short updates on the newest plat we got? To this day I have not seen you contribute anything to any topic, not that I can remember at least. Why not just stay out of it if you have nothing to say on the matter?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

I was able to tell because guess what, it is the go to comparison to kill a discussion. I already told you that there are dozens of ways to make someone think of that era, most of which have nothing to do with what was done in that era. All I see is that I definitely misjudged who you are, because honestly there are some people I really disrespect on this site, but I would have even given the one person I respect the least here the benefit of the doubt that they are better than this, yet here you are, setting new standards. Or are you just trying to get this thread closed intentionally?

Okay-  well, I don't agree, but that's alright.

TBH, this was all done and dusted yesterday - and even the person who originally pointed out that he felt I was making a false or over-dramatic comparison softened on that point a little, when I politely pointed out my reasoning, and linked the original post I quoted - we might not agree, but it was all perfectly civil and level-headed - as I'm sure this can be too.

I'm not intentionally derailing anything - as I said, it was all done and dusted - you are the one who brought it back up - I'm just offering the background on my reasoning, incase that changes how you feel.

Obviously, we don't all need to agree on everything - I don't feel like "I'm setting new standards", and I think it's a leap to suggest I would try and intentionally close a thread by speaking my mind - particularly since I'm generally the one arguing to keep threads open, and not descend into a fracas... as they often can on these subjects ?

I appreciate that you don't like me anymore - that's okay - I don't need you to... (though it's always nicer to be liked than not!)

I can't say I'm happy when someone takes umbrage against me - I'm not a sociopath! - but equally, I don't let it bother me - that would be pretty unhealthy to down these forums ?

I can't, in good conscience, offer any apologies to you -or anyone else - on this point, as I don't feel I owe any. 

All I can do is demonstrate my reasoning to try and avoid anyone reading this drawing the wrong conclusions, but in the end, none of us can really control how we are perceived, beyond simply trying to articulate our points to the best of our ability. :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1