PSNP now has to do this to keep being #1 Trophy website...

Just now, ExHaseo said:

Oh look, this thread again. Once again, just because you don't like a game, that doesn't mean it shouldn't count. You can still play whatever game you want, easy or hard.

That's the thing, they aren't games. They are comparable to these apps on Google Play Store that give 100.000 achievement points.

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

This is a spurious metaphor for a bunch of reasons, but the primary one is this:

the leaderboard is not comparable to placement in a race, it’s comparable to an odometer.

It’s tracking distance covered, not final time.

Are you trying to be petty? The leaderboard is a competition that tracks how many trophies you have, or in this case, the distance traveled. Races are competitions that track the position in which you finish. Just because the leaderboard does not operate in exactly the same way as a race does not make it not a competition. What are you even trying to argue with this? Trophy spammers do not have a competitive advantage because leaderboards aren't the same as foot races?

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Some folks might be on foot, and some might be driving the fastest car their money can buy - but neither is “breaking the rules”, because all that is being measured, is how far they went.

So what?

You're either being deliberately ignorant or failed to grasp the purpose of their argument entirely. The point is that we need more rules than are currently in place to weed out cheaters and the like. Rules must change with the times. It's not enough to simply ban hacking in a game, for instance, if exploits are found which similarly disrupt the game for legitimate players.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

Just now, Darling Baphomet said:

Are you trying to be petty? The leaderboard is a competition that tracks how many trophies you have, or in this case, the distance traveled. Races are competitions that track the position in which you finish. Just because the leaderboard does not operate in exactly the same way as a race does not make it not a competition. What are you even trying to argue with this? Trophy spammers do not have a competitive advantage because leaderboards aren't the same as foot races?

So what?

You're either being deliberately ignorant or failed to grasp the purpose of their argument entirely. The point is that we need more rules than are currently in place to weed out cheaters and the like. Rules must change with the times. It's not enough to simply ban hacking in a game, for instance, if exploits are found which similarly disrupt the game for legitimate players.

I didn't understand his point either, I think he misunderstood my point, or replied to my metaphor.

I'm not talking about leaderboards here, but about creating different pools of players. For instance, you have light, medium and heavy weight in MMA, that'd be the same here.

Edited by bosstristan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bosstristan said:

Just some healthy gatekeeping. Same as sports ban people who use drugs, or forbid access to some competition depending on the gender, weight and so on. It's all a matter of fairness and balance.

how can you compare peds in sports to spending 99p for a fictional reward lol

3 minutes ago, bosstristan said:

That's the thing, they aren't games. They are comparable to these apps on Google Play Store that give 100.000 achievement points.

Except they are games. Fun fact, games on mobile are still games. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

• Like 1

Just now, ExHaseo said:

Except they are games. Fun fact, games on mobile are still games. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Do you deliberately miss the point?

These apps (ie Jumping pizza, Stroking Turtle) are not games, they do not reach the definition of a game. Plus, 100% of people do not view them as games (no one will say "I wanna play this game!"), they are purely free trophy apps, and that's the issue here.

Hannah Montana, Terminator and so on, were criticized back then but at least they WERE games, but games yes, but they met the definition of a game.

It's hilarious to me that I can come to this website on any given day and reliably find this same thread with the same arguments being had about the same shitty plats. It's basically PSNP's version of Ground Hogs day at this point lol, give it a rest already and let people play what they want. If someone wants to stack piles of Jumping plat all the way to the moon.... Let them

cover2.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Yet another thread where the trophy veterans from circa 2008 - 2013 and the "whores" that stopped playing legitimate games the moment Ratalaika Games started publishing their garbage 15 - 30 minute platinum trophies are having a go at each other.

@bosstristan joined back in 2012, and I can agree with him in that the trophy hunting scene is far different than it was a decade ago. I just recently looked at old threads from circa 2011 - 2012 and from what I've seen, there was an actual community here, because the easiest games of that era, including Megamind and Hannah Montana, still required a tiny amount of effort to complete.

Hannah Montana used to be considered overly easy, but nowadays you can argue it is a medium difficulty level game. It doesn't come close to the hundreds of 10 minute platinums you can rack up in a month's time.

I'm siding with the older veterans on here. Most of the people I see arguing with the TC here are playing a numbers game because they want to compete on the leaderboards. Which is fine, but a lot of us feel it is ultimately fruitless.

Play what you want to play, but Jesus Christ some of you people need to seek a psychologist.

I’d argue spending however many hours with Hannah Montana and such back then was honestly a worse use of time.

We all have a finite amount of time.  If you are going to spend it playing crap games, at least make them quick lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Ashande said:

These two go so well together. In some of the responses, you were asked questions, you were presented with rationales against your opinion, you were given at least two posts that pointed out that the Leaderboard is measuring things just fine, just not the things you want it to measure. You actively chose not to respond to those things. But you did expend effort to call people “salty,” to round up the first few dissenting opinions as essentially being worthless as they are the sorts of people you want to ban/hide/whatever, then fall back on “let’s all be respectful!”

You fall to the back foot, claiming that hiding trophies is bad and something you wish didn’t exist - thus removing the only option or “road to redemption” for someone who may have engaged in Trophy Trash or Pay4Plat shenanigans in the past - and speak of “thresholds.” You claim you’re taking things into consideration, but the only evidence of that is changing “ban” to “hide” (which, for all intents and purposes, comes to the same outcome.)

That’s aside from what you really want. You want data manipulation to make the results equate to what you feel they should be rather than what they are. It’s like the people who proclaim “I’m the #1 author in the Sci-Fi, Orca-kin, BBW Regency era smut category.” If you’ve eliminated most of the (legitimate) competition by shoving them out of the road for not doing things the way you do them and climb to the top by removing anyone who doesn’t fit your ultra specific category (which is infinitely stricter than the basic vanilla definition), did you really accomplish much of anything?

Please link me to a post I didn't reply to and will gladly do so.

There's no data manipulation here, simply creating a different pool of players, or any other feature to differentiate them (title, divisions, badges on profiles etc.), like in most sports.

Edited by bosstristan

1 minute ago, Pray_4_the_End said:

If someone wants to stack piles of Jumping plat all the way to the moon.... Let them

But they could be using that money to donate to Ukraine instead and being useful in the world, or whatever it was someone said on Tuesday in the other thread.

• Like 4

Just now, bosstristan said:

Do you deliberately miss the point?

These apps (ie Jumping pizza, Stroking Turtle) are not games, they do not reach the definition of a game. Plus, 100% of people do not view them as games (no one will say "I wanna play this game!"), they are purely free trophy apps, and that's the issue here.

Hannah Montana, Terminator and so on, were criticized back then but at least they WERE games, but games yes, but they met the definition of a game.

Once, again, just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Those are by definition video games. Which is " a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen." Every game requires some kind of input. Even if it's literally one button, it's still a game. Just because you don't like them, that doesn't mean they shouldn't or somehow don't count.

By your logic, any game I don't like shouldn't count either. I don't like racing games, I guess they shouldn't count either.

• Like 1

Just now, ExHaseo said:

Once, again, just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Those are by definition video games. Which is " a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen." Every game requires some kind of input. Even if it's literally one button, it's still a game. Just because you don't like them, that doesn't mean they shouldn't or somehow don't count.

By your logic, any game I don't like shouldn't count either. I don't like racing games, I guess they shouldn't count either.

A game has basic game design attached to it. I doubt these apps where you click 1000 times on a button have any form of game design.

some ressource: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijcgt/2015/549684/  -   https://yukaichou.com/gamification-examples/octalysis-complete-gamification-framework/

2 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

These games are barely passable. The piles of shit games that the Angry Video Game Nerd covered during the NES/SNES generations were moreso games than these shovelware titles that were clearly made for a quick buck.

Breakthrough Gaming Arcade is basically a bunch of games that mimic old 1970s generation arcade games, but instead of them being ridiculously hard to get people to spend more quarters they are made ridiculously easy for a dopamine fix.

We hold a postmodern view that beauty is one and the same. People who agree with this world view is why our society continues to go downhill.

Next thing that happens, NFTs will be the norm and video games will be strictly a livestream only service.

I might as well get my 6 year old nephew to play and finish some of these 5 minute games for me.

• Like 2

Just now, AJ_Radio said:

A portion of our generation wants their daily dopamine fix.

Yup, it could be another debate - which I don't want to have here - but that's a syndrome of today's societies I suppose.

Edited by bosstristan
  • Like 1

Just now, AJ_Radio said:

So you're basically saying that Hannah Montana that released over a decade ago in 2009 was worse than hundreds of these shovelware titles that are not only infesting the PS Store but also Steam and other digital storefronts?

Right. Admit it. A portion of our generation wants their daily dopamine fix.

No, I don’t like the current situation but to me, it is more of shrug. I wish they had kept these as low point, no platinum titles, which would’ve probably helped quite a bit.

I just see people wasting hundreds/thousands of hours on some inane multiplayer boosting or single player grind or requirement and think, is that really any better use of time?

Basically trophy hunters looking down at people playing shovelware feels similar to non-trophy hunters (I.e. regular gamers) looking down at trophy-hunters for the silliness they pursue.  There is a certain irony to it.

Ultimately, each type of player can do what he/she desires.

• Like 3