PSNP now has to do this to keep being #1 Trophy website...

13 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

I don't even care about the leaderboard.

I started using this site to keep track of the one and only trophy list that matters to me: my own.

I like the completion percentage part the most.

But now I check this site before I buy almost any game to make sure the trophies are doable or browse a guide to see what I'm in for. I also check the conversation part quite often. 

same

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThaRular said:

I can not imagine that it is so hard to create a leaderboard where you get points based on the rarity of your trophys. Auch a leaderbord could coexist to the actual leaderboard and everyone would be happy.

Would I pay more to let a developer or Sly implement this , at this point , it’s possible…

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

This site currently does not cater to gamers who want to enjoy the competitive aspect of trophy hunting because there is no leaderboard where you won't get destroyed by people paying pay-to-plat games. There has to be one. It does not need to replace the current leaderboard but at least complement it.

How in the world are you claiming to know that the people playing pay-to-plats are not "enjoying the competitive aspect of trophy hunting"

if anything, they're enjoying the competition the MOST. They certainly aren't enjoying the games. There is clearly a hyper-competitive community of trophy enthusiasts. The games are just the hockey pucks they use to facilitate their competition.

You're really just complaining that there's no minor-league for you to play in where your accomplishments can get the recognition you think they deserve.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bosstristan said:

It could be based on a certain score.

Or, another idea that would satisfy most people here, would be to automatically hide shovelwares/stacks etc. and adjust stats accordingly.

PSNP+ does it already with stacks in game lists on the home page, it could defo do it on profiles too.

How about... crazy thought... just no. Let people play (& collect trophies) however they want to. ?

• Like 2

Maybe the best solution is actually to split the leaderboard...

....into 463,800 separate leaderboards.  

One for each user.

That way, everyone will be No.1!

There can be no argument that anyone is "cheating" by playing differently from others, or using the "wrong" games to progress, as it will only be comparing people who play identically on any single Leaderboard.

Every site user might play a little differently, or chose different games, or have different amounts of expendable cash, or time, or levels of skill etc - but it will not affect anyone else, as each person will just be playing to the strengths of their specific leaderboard - their Leaderboard of One.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Maybe the best solution is actually to split the leaderboard...

....into 463,800 separate leaderboards.  

One for each user.

That way, everyone will be No.1!

There can be no argument that anyone is "cheating" by playing differently from others, or using the "wrong" games to progress, as it will only be comparing people who play identically on any single Leaderboard.

Every site user might play a little differently, or chose different games, or have different amounts of expendable cash, or time, or levels of skill etc - but it will not affect anyone else, as each person will just be playing to the strengths of their specific leaderboard - their Leaderboard of One.

are u really the best if there's no one beneath u? lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parkerdip said:

I just focus on my own score and not care what anyone else does

For me its just a personal record of accomplishments and personally I would only play games which I want to play and get as many trophies as I can in them. Then I like looking back at what I have done over time.   

That's the best attitude to have, and I do share your vision. However, there is no escape from it.

I love opening the page up, dipping into the forums, checking out what people are playing, finding inspiration for other games and checking out the boosting sessions. But on display at the top is the new releases and it's just so depressing to see six of the same Microsoft Paint trophy tiles - and these change daily. Decent games are getting brushed aside on this page (which is a lot of influence if I should buy a game) and on the storefront. 

While I don't think anyone should be banned for it, something needs to happen - but something needs to happen at Sony itself - letting these games release on your platform is embarrassing and that's where it needs change.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

How in the world are you claiming to know that the people playing pay-to-plats are not "enjoying the competitive aspect of trophy hunting"

if anything, they're enjoying the competition the MOST. They certainly aren't enjoying the games. There is clearly a hyper-competitive community of trophy enthusiasts. The games are just the hockey pucks they use to facilitate their competition.

You're really just complaining that there's no minor-league for you to play in where your accomplishments can get the recognition you think they deserve.

If you read the entire post instead of one sentence then you will understand what I mean. Or heck, just read the entire sentence and you will understand the point. There is no leaderboard where you can stay competitive without using spam plats. 

Here it is again:

"This site currently does not cater to gamers who want to enjoy the competitive aspect of trophy hunting because there is no leaderboard where you won't get destroyed by people paying pay-to-plat games. "

17 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

If you read the entire post instead of one sentence then you will understand what I mean. 

I understand exactly what you mean. You want there to be a competitive endeavor setup with the exact set of rules that caters to your particular style of gameplay.

Why do you think you're owed that? And by whom?

Edited by GraniteBeast603
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

I understand exactly what you mean. You want there to be a competitive endeavor setup with the exact set of rules that caters to your particular style of gameplay.

Why do you think you're owed that? And by whom?

I have 71 platinum trophies, most being old and 4 coming from Ratalaika and the likes.  I also primarily play my games on Xbox. It is not about me because I wouldn't be able to stay competitive on any PlayStation leaderboard. 

I see the current system as broken and explain why, that's it. It is not a competitive leaderboard for video games because those who stay at the top use spam-plats for more trophy points than video games. The current system specifically caters to those who spam non-games. I think complementary leaderboards where spam-plats are discouraged would be beneficial for the site and allow those who want to enjoy the competitive aspect of trophy hunting while playing video games to compete.

Edited by iriihutoR84

2 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

It's fine that the current leaderboard is the main leaderboard but PSNP should also offer alternative leaderboards for those who want to compete without resorting to non-games. You straight up cannot be competitive on the current leaderboard with 50+ hold-a-button games releasing every week. The current leaderboard is useless for anyone who doesn't buy the 16 weekly stacks of jumping food + turbo, 16 stacks of car moving left to right + Nitro, 8 stacks of Animal + Letter, 8 stacks of "quiz" games, 2 stroke the animal games etc. There are more but that's 50 games and you cannot compete with that through playing actual games.

This site needs (a) leaderboard(s) for those interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and trophy hunting because it does not have one. The top people on the current leaderboard do not get most of their points from actual games but from hold-a-button apps

I think two new leaderboards would be good. One that straight up counts trophies with over for example 80% site completion percentage as zero and another one which highly rewards rare trophies by giving more points for increasingly rare games. Neither may be a perfect solution and both can to a degree be manipulated but there needs to be something when the current leaderboard is dominated by non-games.

This site currently does not cater to gamers who want to enjoy the competitive aspect of trophy hunting because there is no leaderboard where you won't get destroyed by people paying pay-to-plat games. There has to be one. It does not need to replace the current leaderboard but at least complement it.

I have always opposed rarity leaderboards, but now...I don't know anymore.

How many of these $1 plats have been released now? Is it ridiculous to say hundreds? At this point, you can't even talk about budget - I doubt that the top trophy folks on the leaderboard pay more money than I do. My $20 last week bought Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed Liberation and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. That same $20 buys at least 20 plats (and that assumes that PS4 versions don't have free PS5 upgrades). That's almost 7x the number. You extrapolate that, and it becomes easy to pass my paltry 500 plats...in a day.

I know people say that you shouldn't care about the leaderboard, blah blah blah, and I don't disagree insofar as my own gameplay is concerned. But a nontrivial amount of the value in PSNP lies in the leaderboard.

You know what's sad? From day 1, I've mocked the silly "trophy rarity" stat. It's remarkably flawed. And yet nowadays, it's the only stat here that I care about.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

How many of these $1 plats have been released now? Is it ridiculous to say hundreds? At this point, you can't even talk about budget - I doubt that the top trophy folks on the leaderboard pay more money than I do. My $20 last week bought Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed Liberation and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. That same $20 buys at least 20 plats (and that assumes that PS4 versions don't have free PS5 upgrades). That's almost 7x the number. You extrapolate that, and it becomes easy to pass my paltry 500 plats...in a day.

There are absolutely hundreds of $2 or below easy plats and there are absolutely hundreds of 2 minute or below plats. I'm convinced that it is possible to beat your number of plats in 3 days and with less than $1,000. That's why the leaderboard is broken for those who don't buy these non-games where you hold a button to win.

To put that in perspective, there is a grand total of 5 people on this site's PS3 leaderboard with more than 500 plats. That's an entire generation's worth of games and they spent countless hours on playing them. These days you can get that same amount in less than three days. It just shows how pointless it is to play "real games" from a leaderboard perspective. The leaderboard is completely broken for everyone who does not buy 16 stacks of Jumping Food + Turbo every week and something should be done, if not to replace it but at least complement it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

How many of these $1 plats have been released now? Is it ridiculous to say hundreds?

I think it's somewhere in the region of 3100 currently - if you include stacks.

That's about how many lists are above 95% completion percentage tracked on this site. Obviously, that's not a perfect measurement - there are some proper games mixed into that that just happen to have very simple lists, but those don't account for too much of it, as most of them only have one or maybe two stacks each. 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think it's somewhere in the region of 3100 currently - if you include stacks.

That's about how many lists are above 95% completion percentage tracked on this site. Obviously, that's not a perfect measurement - there are some proper games mixed into that that just happen to have very simple lists, but those don't account for too much of it, as most of them only have one or maybe two stacks each. 

I don't think it's accurate to say they are almost all $1 games, or even the majority. Plenty of Ratalaika and VNs have completion percentages that high. The Stroke the Animal and S-mobile's Run and Fun games also cost a few dollars each, not to mention the Turbo and Nitro versions of the "racing" and Jumping games which charge extra for giving you less mindless button holding. 

24 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

I see the current system as broken

It's not though. Everything about it is working exactly as intended.

It is not a competitive leaderboard for video games

What are you referring to? What is the "it" in that sentence? I'm assuming you mean this site, PSNP, but do correct me if I'm wrong. and if you are referring to PSNP, you're wrong, it absolutely is a competitive leaderboard for video games. You just don't like the narrow subset of gamers who don't actually care about the games and rather have engaged in a hyper-competitive trophy collecting contest that uses asset-swap games to facilitate the competition.

you want, game makers, game publishers, console manufacturers, website moderators, storefront curators, and leaderboard calculators all to exclude certain users and games all because they de-value the perceived integrity of your internet-points.

Just..wow

7 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

I don't think it's accurate to say they are almost all $1 games, or even the majority. Plenty of Ratalaika and VNs have completion percentages that high. The Stroke the Animal and S-mobile's Run and Fun games also cost a few dollars each, not to mention the Turbo and Nitro versions of the "racing" and Jumping games which charge extra for giving you less mindless button holding. 

That's true - I'm not certain how many are under $1 - and I'm in the UK anyways, so the prices are probably a little too varied globally to compare. I'm actually not sure what a Jumping Zebra game goes for over here... it's never occurred to me to want to find out! ?

Curiously though, I have some Ratalaika games on my list, (oh no! Get the Pitchforks! ?) .... and actually, not that many of that small cross-section fall in that >95% bracket.

A few do, for sure, but actually most seem to sit in the 85%-95% range. Possibly just resulting from particular ones that I have - I don't know the full spread.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I really would love to just ignore these spamfuck scumboi games, but the fact I can't see any new actual games on the homepage anymore because the new games section is littered with these, it makes discovering new games near impossible. New games made by people with passion will just get lost to the nether now. It's an epidemic that I struggle to see how some people still defend.