Your Feelings on Thief?

xzeusyx

I know the game has only been out for a few days so a lot of people probably haven't bought it. I've never played a heavily focused first person stealth game so for me it was a new experience all together. 

In short, i think the game is mediocre. I wanted to like it, I really did, but its too flawed. Sure, there are some bright spots. I like the variety of arrows, searching for collectables and it's grimy victorian setting. Lurking in the shadows and discovering hidden passageways for each mission are its bread and butter. But it has more negatives than positives. It's poor storyline, mind numbing clunky mechanics, aloof AI, and poor city map layout are what really hold it back. Its created a very dull and boring play through so far. I can already tell getting the platinum in this game will be dreadful. I can see what they were going for however all of these unpolished features really make it fall flat on its face in my opinion. 

How do you guys feel about the game?

Edited by xzeusyx

I personally pre ordered it and it comes out tomorrow for EU 

i'm still unsure whether to pick it up or not .... 

i'm certain i'll enjoy it as i love stealth games and the game looks like something i would enjoy 

saying that it looks repetitive , also for everyone saying it's ripping off Dishonored or it's just a clone

this was in development 2/3 years before Dishonored even came out , every game takes ideas from other

games , nor many games are completely unique 

Dishonored was an awesome game though everything about it was brilliant though 

i think it was too short and not very immersive , very fun though .

Edited by TheVolloxx-

First person ENOUGH SAID!!!! Should have been in 3rd person!!!!! JUst awful!!!!

The previous Thief games were First Person too, why would they change that?  They've already dumbed down the experience too much, had they made the game Third Person then fans would have complained even harder.

Im only up to the 4th chapter.

The story is dull, i mean theres some interesting sections for the story... but MEH.

The gameplay is nice, the custom difficulty is a awesome feature, and searching the very well designed world is amazing.

Side missions are MEH, some are freaking impossible to find which is annoying as shit. Combat is great though, just wish you could do more than use that bat thing lol, use the wirecutter or something!!

Ive only played 6 hours though.

• Like 1

You mean the third one on the series, that most people disliked when compared to the previous ones?  Again, classic Thief is FP.

Very true, Thief: Deadly Shadows is the exception in the series in that it was third person. Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age were all first person. As the original Thief was released in 1998, and Dishonored, as a first-person stealth game, borrowed many conventions from the older game, one would be more correct in saying that Dishonored is like Thief, not the other way around. When someone first described Dishonored to me, I said "So it's like Thief, except you kill people instead of stealing shit." 

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

Im only up to the 4th chapter.

The story is dull, i mean theres some interesting sections for the story... but MEH.

The gameplay is nice, the custom difficulty is a awesome feature, and searching the very well designed world is amazing.

Side missions are MEH, some are freaking impossible to find which is annoying as shit. Combat is great though, just wish you could do more than use that bat thing lol, use the wirecutter or something!!

Ive only played 6 hours though.

Yeah I'd agree. Finding some of the side missions was such a pain. It doesn't help when Garrett feels like randomly falling off of rooftops instead of jumping. I almost wanted to throw myself out of a window. I just beat it tonight. The ending is... MEH. No spoilers I'll leave it up to you for finding out haha.

Definitely trying another run through with a custom difficulty. Hopefully it makes it more interesting. *crosses fingers and sacrifices a goat*

• Like 1

Stay away from it and play Dishonored and save your money. My cousin had the game since the past Friday and the game looked and played like Dishonored. Nothing much in it and even for the new systems.

If anything Dishonored plays like Thief, not the other way around. That's like saying the new Tomb Raider plays like Uncharted, while Uncharted took a few pages out of the TR playbook.

I like stealthy games and sneaking around in Thief is pretty cool and all but the story is boring as shit.

• Like 2

From what previously seen from it I wasn't sure I would pick it up and my hesitation so far seems correct, all the gameplay I looked the game looked tedious and repetitive. To be honest the next couple months the only games I am looking forward to are Infamous and Dying Light.

Yeah I'd agree. Finding some of the side missions was such a pain. It doesn't help when Garrett feels like randomly falling off of rooftops instead of jumping. I almost wanted to throw myself out of a window. I just beat it tonight. The ending is... MEH. No spoilers I'll leave it up to you for finding out haha.

Definitely trying another run through with a custom difficulty. Hopefully it makes it more interesting. *crosses fingers and sacrifices a goat*

LOL, well i aint gonna be the ending anytime near, have a busy week ahead and since im doing 15 hour trophy first playthrough then yeah...

Can;t wait for the ending lol

Dishonored shits on this game though.

Speaking as someone who loved Dishonored, I'm actually also really enjoying Thief. There seems to be alot of negativity in this thread and some comparisons to Dishonored.

I didn't find the side missions a pain in the ass to find - the map was laid out logically. If you couldnt' find an entry point at the white marker - you just needed to scout around a bit. No problem.

I didn't find the controls clunky - if anything I found them completely appropriate when applied to a game that requires time and precision being executed. The only time I fell off anything was when i didn't line up any descents from a higher vantage point.

The story so far has been engaging, but the real character of the game comes in the dialogue you overhear and the documents you find. Taking time listen and read adds alot of layers and atmosphere to the experience.

I'm just having fun robbing places and getting involved with the side missions which is where the game is really opening up for me.

It feels a bit like people are judging this a little too harshly. It isn't that bad by any means. The only actual issue I experienced was some lag in the opening sequences.

Edited by Captain_Cutscene

I still don't have a PS4 and it's people talking about laggy games that makes me think I'm right to wait...I don't wanna spend that kind of money on hardware to play games that lag in offline mode, thanks.

You'll potentially see a few hiccups in games that are PS3 & PS4 releases. But to be honest, waiting isn't necessarily a bad thing - plenty of games left to play on the PS3 and not much on the PS4 for a little while.

The lag isn't actually bad. It only happened once for me in the opening sequence and that was it. I can't speak for other games though.

I know the game has only been out for a few days so a lot of people probably haven't bought it. I've never played a heavily focused first person stealth game so for me it was a new experience all together. 

In short, i think the game is mediocre. I wanted to like it, I really did, but its too flawed. Sure, there are some bright spots. I like the variety of arrows, searching for collectables and it's grimy victorian setting. Lurking in the shadows and discovering hidden passageways for each mission are its bread and butter. But it has more negatives than positives. It's poor storyline, mind numbing clunky mechanics, aloof AI, and poor city map layout are what really hold it back. Its created a very dull and boring play through so far. I can already tell getting the platinum in this game will be dreadful. I can see what they were going for however all of these unpolished features really make it fall flat on its face in my opinion. 

How do you guys feel about the game?

Hi xzeusyx, I played thief on Xbox One and I thought it's more of a realistic version of Dishonored (expect for the primal stone and other things). I did some research and apparently, some of the people would worked on the first portion of the thief series are the ones who worked on Dishonored, so maybe there is a connection there? I too think the game is a bit mediocre in the fact that it don't feel like thief but some of the cool nifty features were awesome. I'll probably pick it up later in a week or two.

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who loved Dishonored, I'm actually also really enjoying Thief. There seems to be alot of negativity in this thread and some comparisons to Dishonored.

I didn't find the side missions a pain in the ass to find - the map was laid out logically. If you couldnt' find an entry point at the white marker - you just needed to scout around a bit. No problem.

I didn't find the controls clunky - if anything I found them completely appropriate when applied to a game that requires time and precision being executed. The only time I fell off anything was when i didn't line up any descents from a higher vantage point.

The story so far has been engaging, but the real character of the game comes in the dialogue you overhear and the documents you find. Taking time listen and read adds alot of layers and atmosphere to the experience.

I'm just having fun robbing places and getting involved with the side missions which is where the game is really opening up for me.

It feels a bit like people are judging this a little too harshly. It isn't that bad by any means. The only actual issue I experienced was some lag in the opening sequences.

I mean don't get me wrong I did collect almost all of the documents and readings. I really did like that aspect. Its fun to take your time and look for as much loot as you can. Thief still just feels off to me. I mean trust me I've played worse, but they could've made the city hub feel more fluid. I do recommend running through with a custom difficulty. It does make it a more intense and strategic play through. I just feel like they spread themselves thin. They tried to do a lot and ended up creating an overall weak game because they didn't take the time to create each detail that well.

I mean don't get me wrong I did collect almost all of the documents and readings. I really did like that aspect. Its fun to take your time and look for as much loot as you can. Thief still just feels off to me. I mean trust me I've played worse, but they could've made the city hub feel more fluid. I do recommend running through with a custom difficulty. It does make it a more intense and strategic play through. I just feel like they spread themselves thin. They tried to do a lot and ended up creating an overall weak game because they didn't take the time to create each detail that well.

Nice, you only have one trophy left to platinum! You could be the 2nd achiever.