Kill Your Completion is back with it's 19th Iteration

Game #6 - The Occupation - Preview

L07a451.png

Developer: White Paper Games

Publisher: White Paper Games

Genre: Adventure

Price: 29,99€

This game is made by the same guys that did Ether One. A walking sim, with a fair amount of puzzle solving. The Occupation, from what I know, is more of an investigative intrigue around politics. I do know that this is a timed investigation, which goes against with what I enjoy, like exploring the whole area finding all the little notes and so on.

Maybe it makes the game interesting or maybe that system will just ruin it for me.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, I was not able to play FFXII today. I woke up very sore and after playing too much Pokemon Violet, I had suddenly contracted a nasty bug that made me ill for a long time, so I am still recovering from that and I will probably just retire for bed because I have gym tomorrow and I don't want to wake up super ill. I apologize for not spending every day on this game but I just am not feeling it after that horrible illness. :(

I will try to get in a couple of hours on the game before the end of the challenge.

EDIT: I did get a few minutes on FFXII this morning, but that food poisoning I got yesterday really ruined my desire to play anything but Pokemon so I apologize. I will try to log in a bit more in the next two days and try to get a log of at least two hours for this last game before the event is over.

Edited by Taruta13

Game #10: Sunless Skies

L13bf29.png

Trophies: 2 of 32 (2%)

Completion: 93.29% (-0.43%, -3.71% from start)

I'm going to wrap this up a day or so early as Sunless Skies plays similarly to their previous game (Sunless Sea) and I'm unlikely to learn much more in a day (or get very many more trophies).

Sunless Skies is a port-trading game where you take your locomotive from one sky port to another and try not to succumb to sky madness or just get your train blown up.  It takes place 10 years after the events in Sunless Sea, but like almost all of the lore in these games it's not exactly clear how (or worse it is explained and then makes even less sense somehow).  At each port you could find people who have some quest for you (bring them stuff usually) or people that want you to take them somewhere else.  While you're traveling between ports there's hostile ships or sky monsters and also random events.  If you have any passengers, they might want to talk (and probably tell you some more nonsensical lore) or maybe they'll just up and die if you take too long.

You've got to watch your fuel and supplies, but even more important is your terror level.  Just driving around will increase your terror, but negative events can as well.  And it snowballs: with high terror you'll get events like the crew fighting or freaking out about something that's likely to just end up increasing their terror.

When you're in port or responding to random events or even just looting an enemy that you've killed you'll often be presented with choices.  You've got 4 stats (hearts, veils, irons, and mirrors) which can influence your chances at various choices and can be leveled up.  Failing a choice usually just means some of your crew dies (which isn't too bad as long as you don't fall too low) and increasing terror.

All of this is fairly similar to Sunless Sea, but this game manages to improve in a few key areas.

First, dying isn't anywhere near as big of a deal as in Sunless Sea, especially early in the game.  These games are trying to be rogue-like as in you die and pass some stuff on to the next life.  But in Sunless Sea you had to advance the game far enough to make a will before that really worked.  Not so here: when you die you get your ship back (minus an upgrade or two), and somewhere around half of your money.  Plus you can store items in a bank that will be passed on.  And the map!  In Sunless Sea each new captain had a different map with ports randomized to be in different places, but in Skies everything seems to stay put AND you get to keep your map.

Second, they improved the trading by adding in that each port will sell something cheap that will fetch profit at a main port, meaning that you no longer need to rely on repeatable quests to have enough money.  It just opens up more choices and in general making money seems more reliable.  And the repeatable stuff is also more varied.

Third, it looks like the game is just a lot larger.  There's more to explore, most of which I haven't gotten around to yet.

----------------------------------------

I guess that wraps it up for me.  Thanks to @voodoo_eyes for organizing the event and thanks to everyone that participated.  I'll be sure to check back and see everyone's final reviews!

Can't say I didn't enjoy all of the games I've played in this event, but if I had to rank them:

Final Rankings (with moon emoji)

--------------------------

????? Red Dead Redemption 2

????? Mars Horizon

????? Green Hell

????? VVVVVV

????? Plutobi

????? Kingdom Come: Deliverance

????? Splasher

????? Sunless Skies

????? Curious Expedition

????? Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom

• Like 4

Game #6 - The Occupation - Final Impressions

L07a451.png

Time played: 6-7h

Trophies earned: 6/16

I've played this way longer than the game's actual length. Not because I wanted to, or because I wanted to do every possible thing. Unfortunately it ended up being for the worse reasons. The game is a mess. I soft-locked once in Chapter 4 and on 3 different occasion (all of those occasions actually), where you had to print eveidence from a computer, the game wouldn't print i, which while it doesn't break the game it breaks the platinum. On two occasions it also didn't let me "answer the phone" which also was a trophy and lead to an important clue. Instead by picking up the phone it would initiate a call...

Visually the game is good enough, same goes for the sound. The gameplay is questionable, as it seems to be programmed primarily for mouse control.

The game revolves around, you searching for evidence to prove that someone is innocent of a crime while also digging for the truth. The problem is that htey went with a time restriction for this. Since you have to attend meetings to confront certain people involved, and those meetings are scheduled for a specific time, you gotta hurry. It works against this game, as most doors are looked by access cards, which you need to find, or sometimes can avoid by finding a different route.

Some areas are quite big to go through and while the time does not pass rapidly, it's still an issue for exploration. You also can't save during the chapter, which is a pain if you have a busy day.

The several bugs have drained my patience and enjoyment for this game. I'm just going to finish up the final chapter and then get rid off it.

Had it not been for all those issues it would've been a 6 or maybe a 7, but this was not an enjoyable experience in the end 4/10.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Bonus game - New Tales from the Borderlands - Review

L1f4ccd.png

Time played: around 15h

Trophies earned: 22/27

I've been playing this one throughout the event and finished my playthrough today, as it's a hassle to hit the requirements, it'll stay at it's current completion of 77%.

This is an episodic title similar to the original Tales from the Borderlands. This one is not made by Telltale though, but by Gearbox and boy does it show.

Personally I only like two characters in this game, Louie and Fran, the others sounded very forced and unnatural. It's far less funny in my opinion than the predecessor, in fact this might be the cringiest game I've ever played.

The episodes are fairly long, dialogues can't be skipped and some choices aren't obvious regarding what impact they have with the other characters. This is a bit of a problem, as it's tied to trophies. It's then quite the headache having to play through hourlong dialogues with a lot of choices and qtes again to hope for a better rating.

The PS4 version requires almost double the disk space that the PS5 version needs, which to me is wild. In any case, I highly recommend waiting for a depper sale, if you're interested in this game.

For me this was a 5/10.

I'll do a final wrap up of my games on Friday, as I won't have time tomorrow.

Thanks to all who joined and participated and since the participation was solid I may consider keeping this going as a biannual event. Probably each May and November.

meanwhile i actually try to be organised and actually play my game i have a feeling the review won't be posted until tomorrow 

Lde8609.png

My Nostalgia Simulator

Trophies Earned: 15/45 - 22%

Completion Percentage: 70.39% - 0.15%

Personal Arbitrary Rating: 8/10

Number of enemies slain so far: 10,934

Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory is a rhythm game in the style of Superbeat Xonic or Just Shapes and Beats in that you hit notes with specific timing to earn the most points, defeat the enemies coming towards you and also enjoy a song from the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

The game itself has all the assets from the games, all the models of the enemies, the characters and the supporting characters as well as the songs; this isn't a half made game, everything is up to the style and standard of a normal Kingdom Hearts game. So what do you do? The story of the game itself is content to just create a condensed version of the Kingdom Hearts story and use that as the vehicle to allow you to play through songs from the series. You start out as Sora, Donald and Goofy going along a music track and hitting the enemies corresponding to the rhythm of the song. Hitting :cross: or :l1: or :r1: will attack the enemies, :triangle: will use a magic or limit spell for the crystals that appear and using :circle: you jump over enemies or use it to glide to collect music notes. It will get more complicated as you will have to use the :cross::l1: and :r1: buttons together for dual or triple enemies and sometime it will interchange with the :triangle: crystals for added complexity. That is the game play in a nutshell. What changes the game is the difficulty system which is the same as the standard settings for Kingdom Hearts: Beginner, Standard and Proud. Each song has a numerical value which indicates its difficulty, Beginner ranges from 1-5, Standard can range from 4-10 and Proud ranges from 9-15. The higher the number, the more complicated the song will be to complete. Besides this, each stage will have 3 challenges to complete which helps you unlock more stages in the game (for the final door you need 180 stars to get to it).

Rhythm games wouldn't be complete without grading your performance and timing and the same is true with this game. You can earn ratings from Excellent down to Good and if you are super on the nose, you will earn Rainbow Excellent which the best ranking. Every time you miss, you get hit by an enemy and your life meter will drop, if it drops to nothing, the song ends and you have to try again. If you do complete the song, you will be rated on how well you hit the enemies in time and how few of the enemies you missed and this affects what you receive at the end of the song. You may be thinking, what can you get in a rhythm game besides more songs? Well, Melody of Memory isn't just a rhythm game, it's also a collectible card game too! As if trying to get a Full Chain was not enough, now you have collectibles to win every time you do well. I haven't counted how many collectibles there are, but I know that you can collect 135 keyblades alone, but there are enemies, character cards, story stills, art cards, story FMV's... there is a lot to try and collect.

As of writing, I have got through Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts 2 and had some songs from 358/2 and re:Coded tacked on to make sure they were represented. I have started on the games I haven't played in the series and I'm personally hesitant because I want to play through them first and then get better at the songs, but some of the songs from Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are bangers making me want to play them now. There are 150 songs to collect/play for the game, some are piano covers, some are the intro and ending songs and some are remixes; all of them have the feeling of Kingdom Hearts throughout and I will enjoy playing through each one. 

Trophy-wise, every rhythm game is grindy. This is no different. Expect to be putting in hours and hours of practice to finish the Proud level version of some songs as they have stupid amounts of Heartless streaming the screen. The hardest song in the game being Dark Domination (Credit to Bizkit047 for the video) which has 523 note/enemies to be hit in a song that is less than 3 minutes long. There is only one trophy that is personally annoying, which is Technician. You cannot complete this until you have unlocked all the song available, this is because the Daily challenge picks songs randomly from the entire roster in the game. If you haven't got to the later stages then you can't complete this unless you get lucky or have definitely unlocked all 150 songs. My example for this annoyance was that at 60 songs unlocked, I had 4 Today's Tunes. At 103 songs, I had 2 Today's Tunes. The randomness of this trophy puts a dampener on shooting for trophies in this game for me.

Overall, my nostalgia has been tickled, it is very fun to play through the game and enjoy songs that you haven't heard for a while and remind yourself that game soundtracks produce excellent songs that burrow deep and never let go. I know this is going to be a slog as I do suck at rhythm games, but I'm enjoying what I have played so far and will continue to do so until I am truly finished.

Edited by Psy-Tychist
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

May is almost here, which means it's time to bring this event back.

Uh... no. I don't think I will participate this year. Still pounding away at the entries I started last November. xD

Not to say I don't have games I am not fond of starting and need a kick in the pants to get to them... it's just that I have... ah... <_<