Remaster or Remake

SCREWBWOI

I just wanted to know for those who have both. Which is the definitive version for you now? What I mean is, now that the remake is out will you stop replaying the original versions of the game and play remake instead whenever you wanna replay TLOU? or replay the Remastered version.

I ask this because I wanna know if the remake is good enough for me to buy

I don't think anybody would argue otherwise that the remake is the optimal/best version of TLOU to play. 

However, the differences aren't worth full retail price as it currently is if you already played/own the remastered version. I'd wait for a sale when it gets down to around $30-ish or so. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

I don't think anybody would argue otherwise that the remake is the optimal/best version of TLOU to play. 

However, the differences aren't worth full retail price as it currently is if you already played/own the remastered version. I'd wait for a sale when it gets down to around $30-ish or so. 

So would you say it's worth it if you get it cheap because I will getting it for much cheaper than retail price

I think the original is way better when it comes to gameplay. The gameplay in the remake is terrible in my opinion. It feels clunky and unresponsive compared to the original. So for me the Remaster definitely is still the best way to play it.

Remastered just feels grittier. Some characters looks abit creepier in the original for example imo. Also for Joel, he has that gritty angry look in the original.

In the Remake they basically copy and pasted zombies from TLoU 2. But after all the Remake is really beautiful and worth buying if you're into a really good story

Edited by StanleyDeGraaf
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, farradono said:

Well, you don’t have an extremely grindy multiplayer on the remake…

I've already suffered through that? unfortunately.

On 18/10/2022 at 9:21 PM, Deadvember said:

Play the ps4 one on ps+/now/premium whatever it's called. And then play the ps5 remake when it hits ps+/now/premium next year. 

I've played the remaster already 3 times and platinumed it. I was more trying to find out if remake is worth the hype

17 hours ago, SCREWBWOI said:

I've already suffered through that? unfortunately.

I've played the remaster already 3 times and platinumed it. I was more trying to find out if remake is worth the hype

I have also done this.

As such, while I feel the remake graphics are absolutely stunning and overall game play is much smoother, it is essentially the exact same game as the remaster. Because of this, I found myself wishing the time I spent playing the remake could have instead been spent playing brand new games in my backlog.

If I had my time again, I would definitely only play the remake when I had no other games of interest that I wanted to play. As awesome as the story is, it's a bit of a slog to sit through it for the fourth time just to see better graphics haha. 

So my suggestion is to definitely play the remake rather than going back to the remaster - but only when you feel you have nothing else to play.

31 minutes ago, fatnatcat90 said:

I have also done this.

As such, while I feel the remake graphics are absolutely stunning and overall game play is much smoother, it is essentially the exact same game as the remaster. Because of this, I found myself wishing the time I spent playing the remake could have instead been spent playing brand new games in my backlog.

If I had my time again, I would definitely only play the remake when I had no other games of interest that I wanted to play. As awesome as the story is, it's a bit of a slog to sit through it for the fourth time just to see better graphics haha. 

So my suggestion is to definitely play the remake rather than going back to the remaster - but only when you feel you have nothing else to play.

I feel like you answered my question best, I guess I will keep it in my backlog aswell until I really want to play it. Especially since it will be increasing with the amount of games releasing soon.

The Remake looks better but, with the price tag and lack of Factions, it's unnecessary.

The Remaster is still a better package,imo:

Pros:

•60Fps, good graphics

•Factions Multiplayer

•Cheap as dirt or free, with Plus.

Cons:

• Bad trophy list

• Worst textures. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Got Part 1 recently when it went on sale, and it's definitely a big improvement overall. Graphically better for sure, character models are all redone and look more real in many ways. Emotional cutscenes hit harder due to characters facial expressions and details being significantly improved. Many environmental updates to the world making it look more detailed, with many subtle changes. Some changes to enemy placement and pathing, as well as improved AI for enemies, more intelligent flanking, with more enemy movement and less just standing around, plus less instances of friendly NPC's running around in front of enemies. Major audio improvements, especially when playing with headphones, with some areas sounding downright creepy. Weapon bench has been upgraded to use the same system as TLOU2. Trophy list is also a lot easier and doesn't have any difficulty trophies. It can easily be completed in a single playthrough of TLOU and Left Behind. They've also added detailed collectible tracking using PS5 cards so if you miss something you can find out exactly what you missed and where it is without needing to refer to YouTube or online guides. Accessibility is much better with the addition of the options from TLOU2, so things like Enhanced Listen Mode and other options are all there now.

Is it worth the price? Naughty Dog put a lot of effort into the remaster for sure, it's not just some reskin with TLOU2 assets, but ultimately that's up to you. This definitely should be considered the definitive version of the game and isn't just another remaster. If you're a fan of the game and want to play it one more time (or more than one more time) and have it be a different and better experience overall then it's probably worth picking up at some point.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty details of what's different, check out the Digital Foundry Tech Review on YouTube: 

I as a minority of folk that don't like anything about The Last of Us, if you're hell bent on getting any version, get the remake but I'd get it heavily discounted. Since it's first party and the third version of the game now, it's likely to appear on Extra/Premium in the not so distant future.

• Like 1

Haven't heard anyone discuss the original on PS3?  How does that compare to the PS4 (Remaster) and PS5 (REMAKE) versions?  And is there anyone who prefers the OG?

Also, discuss character model changes, big differences between all the versions - but please no spoilers as have not played the games yet, and am interested in the PS5 REMAKE once it becomes cheap.  Have no interest in the Remaster and its tacked on online...

For me, since I never got into the series back then, and never played the Remaster due to having online that I couldn't care less about being involved in; specifically because I think Naughty Dog online game modes suck, and already suffered through that type of scenario with Uncharted 4 and its online and Survival mode...  Thank God I never played the OG 3 with their online and got the Nathan Drake Collection as that was my introduction to Uncharted and Naughty Dog style story telling; which is amazing and what they do good at.  Unfortunately I played UC4 on release as I was amazed with the Nathan Drake Collection, so I couldn't avoid its online; but I got through it with the 100%, so never again will I touch ND online.

But story telling wise, I cannot fault Naughty Dog.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The remake is a game with really impressive graphics, the difference in the emotions of the characters is very noticeable and the gameplay is greatly improved, its price seems very exaggerated to me as previously highlighted, but for lovers of this genre it is worth it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 2:44 PM, J-S_93 said:

Haven't heard anyone discuss the original on PS3?  How does that compare to the PS4 (Remaster) and PS5 (REMAKE) versions?  And is there anyone who prefers the OG?

I can't see any reason why would would prefer the PS3 version over the PS4 version. The PS4 version looks almost the same aside from some more detailed textures. And it's higher resolution and 60 fps. And if you prefer the original framerate for cinematic reasons, there's an option for that. So for me there's no question the PS4 version is superior compared to the PS3 version. There's then the question whether you like the various changes for the PS5 version compared to the PS4 version, and there are a ton of those, and for me on balance I prefer the PS5 version though I do dislike some of the changes they made.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6.4.2023 at 8:44 PM, J-S_93 said:

Also, discuss character model changes, big differences between all the versions - but please no spoilers as have not played the games yet, and am interested in the PS5 REMAKE once it becomes cheap.  Have no interest in the Remaster and its tacked on online...

For me, since I never got into the series back then, and never played the Remaster due to having online that I couldn't care less about being involved in; specifically because I think Naughty Dog online game modes suck, and already suffered through that type of scenario with Uncharted 4 and its online and Survival mode...  Thank God I never played the OG 3 with their online and got the Nathan Drake Collection as that was my introduction to Uncharted and Naughty Dog style story telling; which is amazing and what they do good at.  Unfortunately I played UC4 on release as I was amazed with the Nathan Drake Collection, so I couldn't avoid its online; but I got through it with the 100%, so never again will I touch ND online.

But story telling wise, I cannot fault Naughty Dog.

There's no point in playing the ps3 version (platinum is unobtainable anyways). Remastered is basically the same but improved in every way. It's only up to debate wheter you prefer the remaster or the remake. I'd go for the remake, even though the trophy list is very underwhelming. If you are a fan of mp, you basically have no choice but to take the remaster. Remake and TLOU Part 2 are basically on the same visual level now and if you plan to play both in a row, the remake is a good choice for continuity.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 1