The Unofficial "Worlds of Hurt - Expert" Trophy Guide

simula67

By request, I have copied my guide for this trophy over from the other site... and now, without further ado...

The (Unofficial) "Worlds of Hurt - Expert" Trophy Guide!

64S640e70.png

:bronze:"Worlds of Hurt" - Expert :bronze:

Rescued the Little Sister in “Worlds of Hurt” in under 15:00, on Medium or higher difficulty

This trophy is a bitch. No doubt about it. It kept me from 100% in BioShock for almost 2 years. My method is a mashup of several different methods I read/watched/studied. It was what worked the best for me. You will definitely want to tweak it to your playing style. I finished the challenge in 14:58. It can be done faster if you make fewer mistakes. This method relies on heavy use of the crossbow, which requires you to be pretty accurate.

Some tips to start with...

1. Play on medium difficulty unless you are certifiably insane.
  2. The timer stops when you are purchasing supplies, so take your time and think about what you need first.
  3. Create a new save after every room, after you purchase your supplies. If you feel you need to re-purchase, you can use your auto-save.
  4. Reload your guns when you are on the way to your next room. This will save you some time.

1. Single Splicer

• Make sure to grab the health kits by the door, and the film on one of the column ledges.
  • Search the dead Big Daddy for some random helpful items.
  • Back at the hub, spend all your money on steel crossbow bolts.

2. Single Big Daddy

• Take a research photo the Big Daddy first to get the damage bonus. This will help later too.
  • On normal difficulty, five crossbow bolts should be enough to kill him.
  • At the PttP station, upgrade your crossbow's damage.
  • Back at the hub, buy more steel crossbow bolts.

3. Turret Maze

• One crossbow bolt will take out any turret.
  • Be sure not to forget the three flame turrets as you pass them. They are tucked away in little alcoves.
  • Save the Big Daddy for last. He won't attack you until you attack him. Again, five bolts.
  • At the PttP station, upgrade your crossbow's bolt breakage.
  • At the hub, buy more steel bolts. You should also have enough ADAM to get Electro Bolt 3.
  • An alternative method for this room involves taking research photos of the turrets from above the room until you get the auto-hack bonus. However, you have to be right next to a turret to hack it. Shooting them is easier.

4. Security Bots

• If you kill the lone splicer in this level, the bots will all deactivate. However, you need to get to him without getting attacked by the bots. So take the left path as you enter and turn right past the Big Daddy. You'll come to the splicer without running into the bots.
  • Take down the Big Daddy with five steel bolts like you have done twice already.
  • You can hack the deactivated bots to help you, but it won't save you too much time in the long run.
  • Back at the hub, buy Enrage, and Armored Shell. Get Electric Flesh if you have enough ADAM left over.
  • Use your money on more bolts. If you need a health kit, get one too.

5. All Kinds of Big Daddies

• Enrage all four Big Daddies and they will all start to take each other out. The Elite Rosie will be the last one down. You can shoot at her periodically while she's fighting with the Bouncers without her attacking you.
  • After they start fighting, head to the PttP station. You may want to figure out where it is first, then reload a save so you can go right to it. Upgrade your grenade launcher's damage immunity.
  • Once the Bouncers are dead, zap the Elite Rosie with Electro Bolt to stun her and then pincushion her with some crossbow bolts. Rinse and repeat. This will prevent you from getting hit too much with her rivet gun.
  • Back at the hub, Buy Electric Flesh if you haven't already, and get some Eve hypos.

6. Spider Splicers

• There are 5 splicers in here. 3 or 4 of them will follow you into the center pool, where you can zap the water and kill them. And since you have Electric Flesh, you will be unharmed. If you zap them on the ceiling, they'll electrify the water when they fall.
  • If you are feeling really lucky, a single crossbow shot while they're hanging from the ceiling will kill them.
  • If you can't get one to follow you into the pool right away, don't wait around. One bolt will take each down to a minimum amount of health. You may want to switch to your wrench or shotgun to finish each one off, to save your bolts.
  • Back at the hub, purchase bolts, health kits, and hypos as needed. Also, start purchasing grenades when you can. You'll want 12 before the final battle.
  • At the Gatherer's Garden, purchase Human Inferno. This will help against the Houdini Splicers.
  • You don't need any additional plasmids, so purchase any other tonics that you feel you may want to use.

7. Houdini Splicers

• The main idea here is to get to the bottom as fast as you can without dying when you hit the ground.
  • If you're quick, you can shoot the two splicers up near your starting point. one to your left and one down to your right.
  • To get to the bottom quickly, hop down to your right from the starting point. Go forward and hop down again. There should be another landing that will prevent you from dying.
  • The Houdini Splicers will almost always try to appear close to you. Stand with your back against the wall or the corner, but also keep moving so they don't gang up on you.
  • Use your crossbow on them as you see them appear. One bolt each should do it.
  • Back at the hub, buy more steel bolts.

8. All Kinds of Enemies

• This one is pretty straightfoward. Crossbow every enemy you see. Some will not come out until they see you, so be quick but search everywhere.
  • Save the Big Daddy for last, as usual. If you're lucky one of the splicers will hit it and he'll help you out.

Final Battle: Central Hub

• Thought you were done, didn't you?
  • Make sure you are stocked on grenades, bolts, and health kits. You can use the vending machines before the hub shuts down.
  • There are waves of each kind of enemy you have faced - usually 3 of each. Ready your crossbow as the clouds appear and you can shoot them as soon as the enemies materialize. Reload your crossbow completely between waves. If you panic or miss a shot, use your grenade launcher.
  • Definitely use your grenades on the Houdini Splicers. Those bastards will not stand still and splash damage is key to killing them in time.
  • There is one final Big Daddy to take down. Trap bolts work pretty well in this hub since you can extend them from the center to the edge. (Thanks to GolfingDevil05 for this tip.)
  • Now, haul ass up to the door as it's opening. Do not just sit there and mash :t:. The last thing you want is to accidentally jump instead of activating the "rescue" prompt. If you only have a second or two to spare, that could really screw you.

Final Thoughts

• You'll want to finish the first three rooms in between 2:10 and 2:50. If you hit 3 minutes, you're pushing it and may want to try again.
  • You absolutely need to finish all eight rooms before 13 minutes have passed. The reason for this is that the enemies spawn on a schedule back in the cetnral hub and you need almost the full 2 minutes to kill them all.
  • It takes about 15 seconds for the Little Sister door to open, so the Big Daddy needs to be down and your spliced-ass needs to be on the stairs by 14:45.
  • There is a trick where you can fire the crossbow much faster. Your character will reload the crossbow after each shot. During the reload animation, Hit :l2: to switch to your plasmids, then double-tap :r2: to fire your crossbow. (Thanks to Matticus182 for this one.)
  • If the weapon upgrade stations that I haven't specifically mentioned aren't on your way, don't wait around to find them. You only really need 3, and can easily get the 3 upgrades that you need on the "main" path.
  • Even if it takes you 2 years to get this trophy, don't give up.

• Like 3

Very comprehensive guide, nice work.

FYI there are great walkthrough Youtube videos of how to achieve this.

I'd advise taking a look at them, trying to mimic what was done and meet or beat the time in the videos. Make saves at every juncture so if you screw up, you can reload and play that portion again.

Very comprehensive guide, nice work.

FYI there are great walkthrough Youtube videos of how to achieve this.

I'd advise taking a look at them, trying to mimic what was done and meet or beat the time in the videos. Make saves at every juncture so if you screw up, you can reload and play that portion again.

I've seen those videos that you are referring to, but the fact is that the guy who recorded those has next-to-perfect aim - especially when shooting down Spider Splicers from the ceiling. Us mere mortals can't do that.

I advised people to make a new save after every room, but it is definitely worth reiterating! Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Sim,

Would it be possible to get what times to be under before moving to the next room added to each step?

I don't have my copy of the game at the moment, so I'm not able to look up my times for you... If you are following my advice of getting the first 3 rooms done in under 3 minutes, that leaves roughly 12 minutes to finish the remaining 5 rooms and the final battle - about 2 minutes per room. Some will take longer than others.

The best thing I can say right now regarding your time is to go by feel and liberal use of save files. Make a new save after you complete a room. If you think you can do better, load up your save from the start of the room and play it again. If your time is better, overwrite the save.

I don't have my copy of the game at the moment, so I'm not able to look up my times for you... If you are following my advice of getting the first 3 rooms done in under 3 minutes, that leaves roughly 12 minutes to finish the remaining 5 rooms and the final battle - about 2 minutes per room. Some will take longer than others.

The best thing I can say right now regarding your time is to go by feel and liberal use of save files. Make a new save after you complete a room. If you think you can do better, load up your save from the start of the room and play it again. If your time is better, overwrite the save.

Got it. :D

I wasn't able to get the first three done in under three minutes until I swapped out the Turret Maze for the Security Bots. After that I just tried my best to keep the other rooms under two minutes like you said. Worked great.

Thanks for taking the time to make the guide.

Edited by Rowdi

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...