Does the PS4 physical have a free PS5 upgrade?

Same problem. Coming up as $59.95 for standard and $79.95 for deluxe here in Australia. I put the disc in, navigated to where the upgrade should be, but isn't. I even searched the store for a possible upgrade (nope).

It's likely that it hasn't been added to the PSN Store yet.

It *should* have a free upgrade according the 2K website. The inclusion of Tales From The Borderlands is kinda useless if you already own it... too bad there wasn't a PS5 upgrade of that!

1 hour ago, Graffin_G said:

Same problem. Coming up as $59.95 for standard and $79.95 for deluxe here in Australia. I put the disc in, navigated to where the upgrade should be, but isn't. I even searched the store for a possible upgrade (nope).

It's likely that it hasn't been added to the PSN Store yet.

It *should* have a free upgrade according the 2K website. The inclusion of Tales From The Borderlands is kinda useless if you already own it... too bad there wasn't a PS5 upgrade of that!

Not sure if this has been asked or confirmed before but which trophy stack is tied to the first TFTH game that comes with this new game’s deluxe edition, the original PS4 digital stack or the PS3 + PS4 physical & digital re-release stack?

Given Gearbox Software’s discombobulated trophy-related history within their games (examples include but are not limited to the addition of the Claptrap DLC trophies from the Japanese PS3 version of Borderlands GOTY Edition in 2019 despite the DLC itself never having been released in that country/region during the 7th console generation, the infamous PS Vita port of Borderlands 2 sharing trophies with the PS3 version but with access only to the first two major DLC’s plus one of the Pirate’s Booty trophies being broken on the handheld, the minimal and complete lack of trophies auto-popping cross-generation within Borderlands 3 and Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands respectively and now the New TFTB on PS4 has regional stacks which is just dumb but it’s not the first time they did that. Borderlands 2 VR divides EU and NA game owners and the difference in the two’s trophy rarities and statistics personally bothers me to look at) I doubt we’ll ever find a way to access the original PS4 digital version’s stack without account/console sharing with somebody who claimed it when it was offered to PS Plus subscribers back in May 2017 but still worth asking because well, I can’t spot any existing conversions about this matter anywhere within these forums.

As for a native PS5 version of the first TFTB (or “upgrade” as these are widely referred to) I say if Gearbox/2K didn’t release one for the standalone release of the acclaimed Tiny Tina’s Assault On Dragon Keep DLC from Borderlands 2 then there was little or no chance of them doing the same for Tales From The Borderlands: A Telltale Series.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dry said:

Not sure if this has been asked or confirmed before but which trophy stack is tied to the first TFTH game that comes with this new game’s deluxe edition, the original PS4 digital stack or the PS3 + PS4 physical & digital re-release stack?

Given Gearbox Software’s discombobulated trophy-related history within their games (examples include but are not limited to the addition of the Claptrap DLC trophies from the Japanese PS3 version of Borderlands GOTY Edition in 2019 despite the DLC itself never having been released in that country/region during the 7th console generation, the infamous PS Vita port of Borderlands 2 sharing trophies with the PS3 version but with access only to the first two major DLC’s plus one of the Pirate’s Booty trophies being broken on the handheld, the minimal and complete lack of trophies auto-popping cross-generation within Borderlands 3 and Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands respectively and now the New TFTB on PS4 has regional stacks which is just dumb but it’s not the first time they did that. Borderlands 2 VR divides EU and NA game owners and the difference in the two’s trophy rarities and statistics personally bothers me to look at) I doubt we’ll ever find a way to access the original PS4 digital version’s stack without account/console sharing with somebody who claimed it when it was offered to PS Plus subscribers back in May 2017 but still worth asking because well, I can’t spot any existing conversions about this matter anywhere within these forums.

As for a native PS5 version of the first TFTB (or “upgrade” as these are widely referred to) I say if Gearbox/2K didn’t release one for the standalone release of the acclaimed Tiny Tina’s Assault On Dragon Keep DLC from Borderlands 2 then there was little or no chance of them doing the same for Tales From The Borderlands: A Telltale Series.

It will be the re-release list you also get if you have the retail version of TFTB so no third list if there's no dedicated PS5 version.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think Sony/2K has just been a bit slow in making the free PS5 upgrade available for PS4 disc owners.

If we got a remastered, dedicated PS5 version of the first game, that would’ve been a nice bonus. Pretty sure the code inside the box would be for the same PS4 version many of us already have (so, no new trophies unfortunately).

I haven’t tried to redeem the pre-order bonus code either - not until I’m sure the content is actually available and will work. Has anyone been able to redeem/download the pre-order content?

I’ll try my luck on Twitter and see if I can get any answers as to why the PS5 upgrade isn’t there.

1 minute ago, grifteskymfning said:

So false advertising then?

No. Not at all.

The PS5 upgrade in question is for the new game. It should be available, but isn’t as yet.

There were rumours of them doing a remaster of the first game for the PS5 but seems they were just that (rumours).

30 minutes ago, Graffin_G said:

No. Not at all.

The PS5 upgrade in question is for the new game. It should be available, but isn’t as yet.

There were rumours of them doing a remaster of the first game for the PS5 but seems they were just that (rumours).

Not what I am saying.

If I buy the PS5 version of New, I would expect to redeem the PS5 version of TFTB, not the old PS4 version.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

Not what I am saying.

If I buy the PS5 version of New, I would expect to redeem the PS5 version of TFTB, not the old PS4 version.

It was never advertised as such, as far as I know.

Most PS5 upgrade titles usually have “upgrade to PS5 version available” on the cover. This one doesn’t, but they made it clear we would get the PS5 digital version of New Tales if we have the PS4 disc on the official site and reported as

such on various game review/release sites.

The addition of Tales From The Borderlands (as shown on the cover) doesn’t indicate what platform it’s for, but since there is no PS5 version (and may never be), it’s presumably the PS4 version for those that are new to the game series.  Not much of a bonus for those of us that already have it unfortunately.

I’ve left tweets for 2K and gearbox about the missing PS5 upgrade. Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Totally agree with you Graffin. They did make it very clear with a ps5 digital download. It should be a free ps5 upgrade of New Tales From The Borderlands (second game) and not Tales from The Borderlands (first game) even though sucks if you have already got it on PS4.

Still waiting to hear back from them.

I think I’ve discovered the solution.

Redeem the 12 digit code for Tales Of The Borderlands - it will show 1 item, but it also unlocked the free PS5 digital upgrade (25.84Gb) for New Tales From The Borderlands.

it’s really lame if people are stumped by this because they already own Tales From The Borderlands (like me) - and wouldn’t think to enter the code.

But, as soon as I redeemed the code for the first game (no need to download it), the icon on the lower right of screen changed from $59.95 to free PS5 upgrade.

I hope this works for everyone else!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liberator_XII said:

Didn’t think of redeeming it as says nothing about the ps5 upgrade on it

so it defiantly works then?

Worked for me. As soon as I redeemed the code, the free PS5 upgrade became available.

Pre-order code works, and there’s a couple of SHIFT codes for the game as well.

So, even if you own Tales From The Borderlands, you have to redeem it to get the PS5 version of New Tales. Why didn’t they make that obvious on the voucher code leaflet?  (I’m rolling my eyes)

It should work for everyone else. 

I should’ve tried the code sooner, but previous experiences with preorders and using codes where the content wasn’t available/ready just resulted in a lot of chasing up with Sony and 3rd parties. Oh well. At least now I can enjoy the game!

Edited by Graffin_G

41 minutes ago, NewDust said:

So is this still tied to the PS4 disc? As in, does the PS4 disc need to be inserted to play the PS5 version of New Tales? If so, bad precedent.

If not... I might pick up a PS4 disc, use the code and then immediately trade-in for credit towards GoW:R.

I imagine you still need the PS4 disc to play the PS5 version. The new COD game has the same bullshit.

1 hour ago, NewDust said:

So is this still tied to the PS4 disc? As in, does the PS4 disc need to be inserted to play the PS5 version of New Tales? If so, bad precedent.

If not... I might pick up a PS4 disc, use the code and then immediately trade-in for credit towards GoW:R.

40 minutes ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

I imagine you still need the PS4 disc to play the PS5 version. The new COD game has the same bullshit.

I'm not aware of any free upgrade games where you don't need the original PS4 disc to play it. Every physical PS4 game that I've played that had a free digital PS5 upgrade needed you to retain the PS4 disc.

I'm really not sure why that would be a bad precedent/bullshit. Unless you really are feeling sorry that scammers can't buy the PS4 version, get a free PS5 digital, and return the PS4 version. Sorry you can't exploit that loophole ?

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

I'm really not sure why that would be a bad precedent/bullshit.

True free upgrades don't make you redeem a code that makes second hand copies ineligible for upgrades.

Also no one os scamming here.

Edited by NewDust
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NewDust said:

True free upgrades don't make you redeem a code that makes second hand copies ineligible for upgrades.

Also no one os scamming here.

Apologies, I misunderstood - I thought the specific question was around needing the PS4 disc in order to play the PS5 upgrade. I completely agree, having the upgrade be tied to a one time code and requiring the disc is indeed bullshit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, diskdocx said:

I'm not aware of any free upgrade games where you don't need the original PS4 disc to play it. Every physical PS4 game that I've played that had a free digital PS5 upgrade needed you to retain the PS4 disc.

I'm really not sure why that would be a bad precedent/bullshit. Unless you really are feeling sorry that scammers can't buy the PS4 version, get a free PS5 digital, and return the PS4 version. Sorry you can't exploit that loophole 1f644.png

As the other guy said, yeah the new COD game has the same deal where you have to redeem a code. Hopefully this doesn't start a precedent but I don't even think Sony cares how their own games give access to PS5 upgrades, so I doubt it'll be moderated very heavily.