Who to “main” ?

Zeep_Xanflorp92

In terms of going through the game as easily as possible, since getting knighthood is a grind, what character is a good one to main? Go through consecutively? 

I would ideally to play with all but since we have to hit max level with one, I’d like to know your favorite/ go to and why. 

I heard bat girl is the most like Batman combat wise, and that’s about it. I am going through solo. 

I stuck with Red Hood through almost the whole game. He has the best offensive moves and stats I think which ultimately fit my playstyle the best. 

I think all the characters are pretty much the same and have similar moves that just look different when pulled off from character to character so I don't think it really matters who you pick. 

None of the characters play like Batman in the Arkham games. The combat gameplay in this game is somewhat similar but also very different at the same time. There's no big freeflow combos and rhythm to the combat like the Arkham games. This game is more about defense and waiting for your opportunities to strike while the Arkham games are more about offense and maintaining a rhythm. This is what makes the Arkham games more fun in the end and why Gotham Knights is not. 

• Like 2

It doesn’t really matter in terms of levelling up, what character you pick as you can lvl all four of them up at the same pace. That being all the xp you aquire say playing as batgirl, you get the same amount to spend on the other three characters . The only thing you need to do individually for each character is unlock their heroic travel.

and it’s this aspect which I felt made red hood the most useful, especially when going for collectibles etc. His heroic travel covers the most distance the quickest and the easiest to navigate from what I could make out. I did play as robin, batgirl and red hood (for some reason I didn’t touch nightwing so I’m not actually sure what he has) and red hood was easily the most useful way to travel I found. Robin has a crappy teleport and bat girl just glides but also drops.

in terms of fighting enemies I don’t think it makes a great difference. Each have useful quirks (like take down the big dudes in one hit, or can’t be seen by cameras) but in terms of actual fighting, they all seemed pretty much the same to me.

I found Batgirl to be easier for indoor missions since she can spec into not being noticed by laser grids and security cameras. So you never have to worry about sneaking in some indoor sections or when doing the secret identity side mission. She also has good melee and health boosts.

Red Hood is also really good for strong range attacks and helps you avoid getting swarmed as the combat in this game isn't what we got in the Arkham games and you'll find yourself wanting to chain combos and use your gadgets and it's not the same. He's also great for patrols/crimes as he deals boosted damage against most of the factions.

Also Red Hood and Batgirl's travel ability are the best as they're quicker and keep you elevated. Robin's teleport isn't as quick to keep moving and just feels slow. Nightwing's "glider" is so so bad, you get a little forward boost and then just fall straight down, it's bad, it's really bad.

But with levels and ability points being given equally to all characters you can play around and find out who you like best.

2 hours ago, MrPhrips said:

Nightwing's "glider" is so so bad, you get a little forward boost and then just fall straight down, it's bad, it's really bad.

I think you're using it wrong, it is quite slow but you can get across the rivers, you definitely don't just fall down. Make sure you're not holding forward on the stick as you hold R2. If you hold forward it tips the glider down so you can gain speed, but if you just hold forward then yeah, you'll land.

• Like 2

I found Robin to be the strongest in end game due to easy clean up of spongier enemies via stealth and burst elemental damage, unfortunately he has the worst traversal imo, so I use Nightwing for collecting collectibles.

On 11/1/2022 at 5:15 AM, MrPhrips said:

I found Batgirl to be easier for indoor missions since she can spec into not being noticed by laser grids and security cameras. So you never have to worry about sneaking in some indoor sections or when doing the secret identity side mission. She also has good melee and health boosts.

Red Hood is also really good for strong range attacks and helps you avoid getting swarmed as the combat in this game isn't what we got in the Arkham games and you'll find yourself wanting to chain combos and use your gadgets and it's not the same. He's also great for patrols/crimes as he deals boosted damage against most of the factions.

Also Red Hood and Batgirl's travel ability are the best as they're quicker and keep you elevated. Robin's teleport isn't as quick to keep moving and just feels slow. Nightwing's "glider" is so so bad, you get a little forward boost and then just fall straight down, it's bad, it's really bad.

But with levels and ability points being given equally to all characters you can play around and find out who you like best.

I think you're using Nightwing's traversal wrong, you can infinitely glide using it and it's the most efficient of all 4. It's basically using a flight stick control, meaning holding back let's you go higher and forward makes go down (but faster). 

• Like 1

For the fastest platinum run, I would recommend Red Hood, he's very OP. I played on Normal in my first playthrough, a few precision aims to the head will make quick work of most enemies. He has an upgraded grab throw move which sticks a grenade on the enemy, you shoot to detonate it and it spawns 6 smaller proximity mines, it's excellent for crowd control. I lowered the difficulty to Very Easy for the clean up and NG+, and fights with large crowds were ending in seconds because Red Hood is that OP.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

After almost 80 hours playing around with them all, in my opinion, the answer to this question is largely dependent on if you’re going for just the platinum or if you’re going for 100%, and also where you are in your journey to either.  I've noticed that most people who answered this question did so before the heroic assault update dropped and I wonder if answers would still be the same upon completing those DLCs. 

Yes, Batgirl is the easiest to main but she is not the "best" class. The best hero is objectively Robin (Tim). If you're going for just the platinum then Batgirl is "suitable" but if you're going for 100% then Robin is your guy. If you want the full breakdown as to why then indulge me as I rank the heroes from best to worst:

1. Robin basically plays like Miles Morales by the end. The game deceives you into thinking he’s only good for stealth but the truth is his stealth abilities (and badass stealth animations, as mentioned by another poster) are only secondary to why he is so OP. Robin’s true strength is his elemental range attacks and elemental AOE attacks which make him an excellent solo class in heroic assaults, a mode where he really shines. I solo’d most of the Starro and Kelvin rooms with him, including the Kelvin floor 15 boss rush.

He has one fantastic skill (which really should be a momentum ability given how broken it is) and that’s the slingshot pellets. He’s great in “defend console” rooms because you can just spam pellets around the console and nuke everyone who walks into it. His normal range throws are as swift as Batgirls and his melee combos are great as well. And this is before we even get to his momentum abilities. One of them showers continuous elemental rain from above which instantly inflicts full elemental damage within a wide radius.  He can leave a clone of himself that, when attacked, also does elemental burst damage. His bo spin attack is a mild version of Batgirl’s final momentum ability and it only costs one bar. His ultimate is also the best ultimate because, other than doing a massive damage to several enemies at a time, it can’t be interrupted (unlike Jason’s).

What’s funny is that there is currently a bug with some of his mythic ranged gear but, even with that limitation, I ended up with a legendary piece that heals Robin every time he does critical damage - which is basically most of my hits and shots due to how I built him - so I have continuous health regeneration while doing huge AOE elemental and crit damage. He’s the best equipped to deal with the annoying owl enemies in the late game because his slingshot pellets turn the floor into lava so that they’ll end up just dodging themselves into traps. Any time they would heal I would just fire 3 pellets around them so they would instantly die again. 

There is a catch with Robin though… Aside from his terrible heroic travel, he is only good late game and beyond. Which means he doesn’t become amazing until around level 20 onwards which is why I think people bounce off him early. Once you get to that level you should switch to him immediately.  Thank goodness characters share XP - the absolute shock of gaining instant access to Robin’s best skills and slapping the man bats about before the assassins could even spawn was a personal highlight. 😁  I’m glad he’s the least popular hero because then the devs won’t find out how OP he is and nerf him lol

2. Batgirl is the most well rounded hero and the most efficient for bosses due to how tanky she is.  She’s good mid game and can hold her own late game as well, although she becomes more momentum dependent as enemies become more challenging. She also has two self-revives...nuff said. In the base game she is the best for stealth because she can evade security systems, making the hostage crimes a cakewalk. However, the DLCs have no turrets or cameras so, again, it's Robin who is the master ninja there. Lastly, Babs' final momentum ability is broken and turns the vanilla version of the Talia boss fight into a joke. The fact that it's way better than her ultimate and only costs 2 bars is hilarious. Again, the easiest to main but not the "best" class.

3. Jason is great early to mid game due to his raw physical damage but it’s in the late game and DLCs where the weaknesses in his arsenal become apparent. His AOE attack is conditional so in heroic assault - where you’re swarmed with spongey enemies - the grab attack is trickier to pull off. Speaking of, the animation takes too long and is easily interrupted by stronger enemies. Same can be said for his ultimate. If you want to use him then I'd suggest doing so up until you meet the talons, and then swap him out for better heroes like Robin and Batgirl.

4. And finally for the runt of the litter: Nightwing. No offence to Nightwing fans but he's not done justice here. The game even takes pity on him with an extra momentum bar and making his powers regenerate really quickly to compensate for their uselessness. He was the first character I played with before I swapped him out for Batgirl and it was a breath of fresh air. His strength is his team support skills which makes him helpful in heroic assault but, even then, the other heroes can sustain themselves if you build them right, making him kind of obsolete in that regard. His heroic travel is lowkey the best due to how fast he flips forward and that initial glide burst. Other than that, not good to main with at all and certainly not a good solo class. 

So, to cut a long story short, if you want an easy platinum then main Batgirl. If you want an easy 100% then main Robin from level 20 onwards.